NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Ice blue 3rd jersey, please!!!

I'm assuming they'll use a Metropolitans-esque barberpole design using navy, light blue and red for a third jersey once that comes around. If I recall right, ownership wanted that name but was denied by the league due to the existing division; so they'll leap at the chance to homage them as much as pissible.

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

I don't see a single consummate V anywhere on there.

Maybe not, but there's plenty of magesty.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Colored ice is a fantastic idea. The whole league should be using a very pale shade of blue. Too much bright white is hard on eyes and TVs!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Didn't someone - I want to say the Islanders - actually use blue ice for reals?  Or am I just thinking about NHL 94 or something?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd be down for pale blue ice, honestly. It'd help make white jerseys stand out a little more during play, which would probably help make the action a bit easier to follow for people who're trying to get into the sport.

23 hours ago, Cujo said:

There's nothing wrong with any of that.

My point: It's things like that which differentiate the NHL from the other "Big 3" professional sports. The Hurricanes circus act and franchises named Krakens Gone Wild are things we see and expect on the minor-league level

Keep making this idiotic point when you follow a sport where players regularly throw cream pies or shaving cream “pie” in their teammates faces . What is your response to that, or do you not have one?

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Keep making this idiotic point when you follow a sport where players regularly throw cream pies or shaving cream “pie” in their teammates faces . What is your response to that, or do you not have one?

Don't forget the hot feet, the bubblegum hats, the water cooler dumps... 😛

Hell, even the NHL has stuff like the water glove trick and the bottle trick as natural and accepted jokes.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's really good stuff right there.  I love that they did the "‘Could you imagine a player lifting the Stanley Cup with this jersey?" test which is usually one of the first ones I do when seeing a new uniform.  I say that they barely squeeked by with this one, and the only reason I say "barely" is because of the eye.  It's definitely on the safe side of being cartoony, but not by a ton.  Without the eye, it's 100% in the classic category.  With the eye it's still professional, just a little less so than, say, an O6 team (which I know is not and should not have been their measuring stick, just making a comparison.)

Whether you agree or disagree with the name and/or logos, it's clear that the team drove this, considered all the right things, and whether or not you agree with the outcome, they put a lot of thought into it and got exactly what they set out for.  They didn't just ask adidas to "make something cool" and then run with it.  This is the exact way I hope that WTF works on their new brand.

This should be a lesson to everyone that automatically blames Nike or adidas or whoever.  The team is the most important part of the process, and the buck stops with them.  So far, I'd say Seattle is off to a great start.

No doubt. I love seeing all this content coming out. They had good foresight to compile/record all these stories throughout the process.

I think you’re dead on with your comment re: the eye and the classic/cartoon balancing act. If you screenshot that intro animation of the logo right before the eye forms, you can see what it looked like. Personally, I thought that version was an all-timer; a forever logo. Not that this one isn’t, but as you said, it’s definitely closer to the line.

Now that everything’s out there, though, I think people appreciate having that extra hint of the creature in the primary logo (the eye). Without it, the logo is certainly more mature and more timeless, but my gut tells me it would have been underwhelming for people because it doesn’t exude the same type of creepiness. Of course, the eyes would have come in somewhere else if not in the primary logo, so it could have worked just as well by distributing the important design elements more evenly across the logo package. I’m just glad it worked out (because there were times I was worried 😂).

To your last paragraph and a half, you’re right in the general sense. How hands-on or -off the client is varies from team to team (and how hands-on or -off the licensee is varies depending on the project and the ask), but for the most part, that’s how it comes together.

This project was pretty unique, though, if only for how intensive the whole process was. The team brought strong opinions at every step, but it also took a long time to figure out the right way to proceed at every step (which is expected when you have so many important stakeholders in your ownership group and front office). I’m sure some would have found that frustrating, but no one can fault them for being thorough with every decision. It would have been a disservice to themselves and their investment if they weren’t. On the flip side, while we always worked with guidance from the club, we also leaned heavily on our collective experience and expertise building these types of brands and brought strong opinions of our own to make sure it stayed on course all they through to the end, and that approach is a big reason why it turned out as well as it did; a true team effort driven by both sides.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

12 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

On the flip side, while we always worked with guidance from the club, we also leaned heavily on our own collective experience and expertise building these types of brands and brought our own strong opinions to make sure it stayed on course all they through to the end, and that approach is a big reason why it turned out as well as it did; a true team effort driven strongly by both sides.

I think that's the biggest reason this identity has turned out so well in terms of reception, despite how controversial the name itself was before now here and elsewhere; it feels like an identity that had a single direction to it, a single endgame instead of an identity that had 30 different endgames at various points.

The entire package has a vintage simplicity to it that I think a lot of people, myself included, weren't expecting with a name like "Kraken"; they were expecting stuff that was much louder, much more...well, kitschy. A logo of a cartoony giant octopus tearing apart a hockey stick with some goofy snarl on it's mug, jerseys with tentacle-shaped stripes, wacky colors, that sort of deal. Sort of a peak 90's minor league look. The fact that Bruckheimer was involved didn't exactly assuage my worries at the time, but I'll be damned if this wasn't a huge success.

There's tasteful reservedness with it; the logo feels like it's been around for decades without actually having been around for decades, if that makes sense. The similarities to the Metropolitans logo helps in that regard, but the use of negative space kinda hearkens back to the Whalers logo. The secondary is fantastic, as well, very classic in style.

I actually like both versions of the primary a lot, but I gotta agree that the eye was a good call in the end. Without the eye, it still evokes the kraken image with the tentacle...but it loses a lot more than I thought it would. Just that little splash of red completes it visually:

spacer.png

I'll be honest; as loud a hater of the Seattle Kraken name as I had been before? The actual identity has fully converted me into a fan with just how much it shys away from actually depicting the titular creature. It evokes the imagery without...well, evoking the imagery, if that makes sense. The eye and the tentacle imply the monster that the team is named for, but they don't show it; which makes it even more intriguing.

In a leagues-deep sea of direct and to-the-point logos, something that focuses more on the implication of the name is a really smart move, especially with a name like this. It's also a great use of negative space. What does the Kraken lurking in those shadowy depths look like? Well, it has a tentacle and a red eye...and everything else about it is purely up to the imagination of the fans.

I think my one minor quibble with the identity is with the format of the wordmark; I don't really care for the combo arch+straight format of wordmarks, and much prefer both words be consistently either straight or arched. But that's just personal preference speaking; the design is still great, and the calligraphic font is a perfect choice.

12 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I actually like both versions of the primary a lot, but I gotta agree that the eye was a good call in the end. Without the eye, it still evokes the kraken image with the tentacle...but it loses a lot more than I thought it would. Just that little splash of red completes it visually:

spacer.png

I'll be honest; as a loud hater of the Seattle Kraken name as I had been before? The actual identity has fully converted me into a fan with just how much it shys away from actually depicting the titular creature. It evokes the imagery without...well, evoking the imagery, if that makes sense. The eye and the tentacle imply the monster that the team is named for, but they don't show it; which makes it even more intriguing.

In a leagues-deep sea of direct and to-the-point logos, something that focuses more on the implication of the name is a really smart move, especially with a name like this. It's also a great use of negative space. What does the Kraken lurking in those shadowy depths look like? Well, it has a tentacle and a red eye...and everything else about it is purely up to the imagination of the fans.

I could be wrong but I would assume the original version without the eye didn't have the crook in the top part of the S shape:

spacer.png

I actually think the S with the crook (on the right) looks better. It suggests an eye there, without actually having one - it's a scowling eyebrow in the S. I don't know if I'm getting that from having seen the logo with the eye or not, but it's definitely working for me. I think.The S logo on the left does feel a bit too symmetrical and one-note for me. I think I'm glad they ultimately added a little something extra to go with the tentacle.

Overall I like that they have a bit of red as an accent colour, so having a red eye isn't a bad thing. But yeah, I get what everyone is saying in regards to that choice.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I'm eating a little crow here, because I was all in on "Evergreens" or "Sockeyes".

Having had a few days to mull this over, I'd have to say (in hindsight (which is always 20/20)) that the proponents of "Kraken" were right.

This identity really walked the line. If it was done garishly, it could have been a joke.

However, done properly, it's got huge potential.

Looking forward to uniforms, alts, mascot, promotions, etc.

1 hour ago, ghost316 said:

I'm eating a little crow here, because I was all in on "Evergreens" or "Sockeyes".

Having had a few days to mull this over, I'd have to say (in hindsight (which is always 20/20)) that the proponents of "Kraken" were right.

This identity really walked the line. If it was done garishly, it could have been a joke.

However, done properly, it's got huge potential.

Looking forward to uniforms, alts, mascot, promotions, etc.

Everything about the Kraken brand is actually quite nice. All except the name.

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Everything about the Kraken brand is actually quite nice. All except the name.

I have given it some more thought and I completely agree with everything about this statement. I really want to like the name because it's unique but I just can't. Everything else is pretty solid.

Gotta admit I wasn't in the Kraken camp prior to the release, but I'm also wowed over! I'll chime in into the songs of praise which are well deserved for this beautifully crafted logo and identity package. In regards to the meme critics - well, no denying that the #releasethekraken meme has some role in all this, but the brand had more than enough depth to go twenty-thousand leagues and more beyond it, once that meme becomes tired. 

I got one question to @IceCap though, as he is so upset that the beast got tentacles rather than being a fish - Does it also bother you that a "Krake" refers to a type of octopus in Norwegian, Swedish, German and Dutch?

24 minutes ago, JayMac said:

I have given it some more thought and I completely agree with everything about this statement. I really want to like the name because it's unique but I just can't. Everything else is pretty solid.

If the name were pronounced "Krey-kin" instead of "Crack-in", I might grow to tolerate it more. Even as the "Kreyks" in short would make it easier to accept. Unfortunately, Seattle pulled a Minnesota "Wild" and went with bushleague, gimmicky and ridiculous, no matter how great the logos and colours are.

Archived