crashcarson15

NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

Recommended Posts

On 9/21/2020 at 8:07 AM, El Scorcho said:

 

Surely Twitter would have something in it's terms and conditions allowing it to simply change usernames at a whim if it was clear account squatting was taking place.

 

I know Instagram changed the handle of a Reading FC supporter living in Sussex so they could give the @sussexroyal handle to Harry and Meghan - without even telling him first. I think he ended up with @_sussexroyal_

 

As sparky chewbarky awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself logged into Twitter as @iloveboobs69420

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

 

As sparky chewbarky awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself logged into Twitter as @iloveboobs69420

 

...wondering as to how this could possibly happen, sparky contacted his buddy, the admiral @ilovetheKrakenxoxoxo...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok this is a kinda pointless observation but I am currently working on a paper about the Starbucks logo and I found out their logo is based off Norse mythology's Siren, and they were also founded in seattle. 2 norse based logos founded in seattle, I looked it up and couldn't find anything about heavy norse influence there, does anyone know something I dont?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dannykraft said:

Ok this is a kinda pointless observation but I am currently working on a paper about the Starbucks logo and I found out their logo is based off Norse mythology's Siren, and they were also founded in seattle. 2 norse based logos founded in seattle, I looked it up and couldn't find anything about heavy norse influence there, does anyone know something I dont?

 

A quick Google revealed this ... https://www.seattlemag.com/news-and-features/new-generation-embracing-seattles-nordic-history-and-culture 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s also Swedish Medical Center - the sign being the famous(?) “Swedish” Tom Green put his bum on.

 

Lots of descendants of Norwegians and Swedes live in the area. Not a huge number mind you but not insignificant. The Puget Sound is as close as you’ll get to the fjords in the lower 48.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 7:57 PM, dannykraft said:

Ok this is a kinda pointless observation but I am currently working on a paper about the Starbucks logo and I found out their logo is based off Norse mythology's Siren, and they were also founded in seattle. 2 norse based logos founded in seattle, I looked it up and couldn't find anything about heavy norse influence there, does anyone know something I dont?


I actually thought Sirens would have been a really great name given the city’s association with Starbucks and progressive politics.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, andrewharrington said:


I actually thought Sirens would have been a really great name given the city’s association with Starbucks and progressive politics.

 

 

There's talk of Seattle acquiring a pro women's hockey team.

I've heard "Sirens" being bandied about as a possible name for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wooo! Well deserved.

 

I know it's the new hot thing in town, but I've been amazed at all the Kraken gear I've seen.  At the airport, at the doctor's office with by a grandma, wine tasting.  

 

I've seen gear everywhere I turn.  I think people are really excited about the team and also loving the branding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, lilgump said:

Wooo! Well deserved.

 

I know it's the new hot thing in town, but I've been amazed at all the Kraken gear I've seen.  At the airport, at the doctor's office with by a grandma, wine tasting.  

 

I've seen gear everywhere I turn.  I think people are really excited about the team and also loving the branding.

 

Ditto. Again, there's the new team bump, but the only local team I see more gear for is the Seahawks. Otherwise, it's Kraken stuff everywhere. Costco, drug store, gas stations, etc. The brand has been a big hit!

 

On 10/12/2020 at 7:57 PM, dannykraft said:

Ok this is a kinda pointless observation but I am currently working on a paper about the Starbucks logo and I found out their logo is based off Norse mythology's Siren, and they were also founded in seattle. 2 norse based logos founded in seattle, I looked it up and couldn't find anything about heavy norse influence there, does anyone know something I dont?

 

This may be helpful to you: https://www.nordicmuseum.org/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 9:57 PM, dannykraft said:

Ok this is a kinda pointless observation but I am currently working on a paper about the Starbucks logo and I found out their logo is based off Norse mythology's Siren, and they were also founded in seattle. 2 norse based logos founded in seattle, I looked it up and couldn't find anything about heavy norse influence there, does anyone know something I dont?

 

Washington's no Minnesota or the Dakotas in terms of Nordic influence in the state, but it is in the best of the rest category. It's more or less the same as Wisconsin in both terms of absolute number and of percentage of population claiming Scandinavian roots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mingjai said:

 

Washington's no Minnesota or the Dakotas in terms of Nordic influence in the state, but it is in the best of the rest category. It's more or less the same as Wisconsin in both terms of absolute number and of percentage of population claiming Scandinavian roots.


Yeah. Definitely more of a Seattle thing than a Washington thing, and even more specifically, the Ballard neighborhood at the mouth of the canal (where the museum is located) was where these immigrants traditionally settled, many of them responsible for building Seattle’s fishing industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Wikipedia, these are the only states with at least 10% residents claiming Scandinavian heritage:

 

North Dakota- 36.1%

Minnesota- 32.1%

South Dakota- 21.5%

Utah- 14.9%

Montana- 14.1%

Wisconsin- 13.5%

Washington- 12.5%

Iowa- 11.5%

 

And these are the only states with at least half a million residents claiming Scandinavian heritage:

 

Minnesota- 1,580,776

California- 1,510,541

Washington- 739,043

Wisconsin- 728,248

Illinois- 575,991

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we need to stop beating the "Scandinavian heritage" drum for the Kraken. The name was chosen because its le epik win and marketable. Not because of some post hoc rationalization. They were able to carve out a great logo and a solid jersey, we don't need to retcon the naming too.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I think we need to stop beating the "Scandinavian heritage" drum for the Kraken. The name was chosen because its le epik win and marketable. Not because of some post hoc rationalization. They were able to carve out a great logo and a solid jersey, we don't need to retcon the naming too.


How about we stop beating the “I have no contextual knowledge of the project but I’m still going to serve up hot takes like I was in all the meetings” drum. Just because you want something to be true doesn’t make it true.

 

The name was chosen because it was popular with prospective fans. The identity was designed to make sense for Seattle, and the city’s Nordic heritage was very much part of that from the early stages of the design process. End of story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:


How about we stop beating the “I have no contextual knowledge of the project but I’m still going to serve up hot takes like I was in all the meetings” drum. Just because you want something to be true doesn’t make it true.

 

The name was chosen because it was popular with prospective fans. The identity was designed to make sense for Seattle, and the city’s Nordic heritage was very much part of that from the early stages of the design process. End of story.

 

Thank you. Before I moved to Seattle, I had no idea there was a scandinavian connection. But now that I've been here a while, it's obvious that Kraken fits the community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to mention that it’s exactly where most of these naming processes start - you research the city and build something around what you find.  That’s especially true when the designers come in from elsewhere. 
 

The local connections aren’t created after the fact, they help drive the earliest stages of the process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edit: This was originally retort, but I've realized it's better to just put people on ignore who have consistently shown they have nothing to add to a discussion but ad-hominem attacks than get in a flame war over a hockey team name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know and maybe it's just because I haven't really heard anything about the team in a while since all the reveal hullabaloo died down, but "Kraken" has grown on me, or at least I don't have any strong feelings about it either way any more. I've gone from not liking it to "it's fine I guess".

 

Part of it I think is that the logos and the jerseys are pretty good, even though I will say the jersey striping still gives me Ducks vibes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2020 at 2:09 PM, sportsfan7 said:

According to Wikipedia, these are the only states with at least 10% residents claiming Scandinavian heritage:

 

North Dakota- 36.1%

Minnesota- 32.1%

South Dakota- 21.5%

Utah- 14.9%

Montana- 14.1%

Wisconsin- 13.5%

Washington- 12.5%

Iowa- 11.5%

 

Utah is an interesting one because we know about all the Swedes and Norwegians in Minnesota, the Dakotas, and Iowa (Iowegia!), but Utah is up there because the really old Mormon stock is almost all English and Danish. Part of the reason Mormons pioneered giving white kids dumbass names like Kaighleigh and Jaxxzyn is that every like tenth family is named Christensen and they need to set everyone apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.