NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a sucker for uniform sets where the only difference between the two jerseys is the torso colour, so I think these look great. They should look even better on the ice with all the gear.

spacer.png

Seattle absolutely nailed their branding.  The logos and uniform is top notch.  

My only question is how will the seafoam numbers look on the home sweater.   Will they be easy enough to read while watching a game?

These are really sharp. The Kraken name is not only bad but it was just begging for a cartoony-viscous logo of ECHL quality.  But much like the Wild and their even worse name, they came out with unique yet attractive colors and a terrific logo.

I like the way the logo looks on the white jersey; the blue outline makes it stick out nicely. But I still prefer the blue jersey because the color balance with the blues/greens (particularly on the sleeves) just works so well.

They really nailed it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Twitter is convinced that they made the away crest way bigger than the home. They're definitely the same size, but because of contrasted blue background, yeah, it does read as bigger on the white.  I'm kinda here for it, though!  Crank up the size on the home crest until it reads just as  large eh

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

I still think the striping makes them look like palette swapped Ducks jerseys and this set overall is reminding me of their 2006-14 uniforms, except these are actually good.

They’re nothing alike other than sharing a thin bright color and 2 thicker stripes on the sleeves, everything else is different.

I will say, both the Kraken and Vegas gave us excellent aesthetic additions to the NHL. Both teams went with a fresh new color scheme in top American sports, and built a very collective identity that all meshes well. We're lucky, both team names couldve led to gimmicky and rough designs.

I love the logo they made, its got a perfect blend on uniqueness, representation, and just looks damn awesome on a hockey uniform. They really, really crushed the branding. And the ocean backdrops in their graphics? Heck yes.

The uniforms are excellent in color balance. I'm hoping we get socks that just match the sleeve stripes, preferably in the same order and the knee being that light blue / teal. The shorts will be navy, and I dont think they need striping if the socks are done well. 

My only nitpicks are that (and I can't tell), that the numbers should be the color of the lighter shade of the blue, and the outline is the darker. Would've liked to see maybe a touch of color on the collar, but it will look fine plain.

We knew what it was going to look like, but for seeing it in use for the first time, I give it a 9.5/10.  Hard to ever say "perfect" but its excellent.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

On 7/22/2021 at 1:41 PM, dont care said:

They’re nothing alike other than sharing a thin bright color and 2 thicker stripes on the sleeves, everything else is different.

Seattle's striping is thicker and obviously straighter (and apparently higher up on the arm looking at it right now), but the sleeve (and sock from the unveiling graphics) pattern is similar.

E64ZzDPVcAMpnEh?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Scott-Niedermayer.jpg

Look at the dark jersey especially. The striping goes body colour/big second colour/smaller third colour/body colour/thin fourth colour/body colour. The whites in both sets also follow the same pattern, just the Ducks use more white because one of their stripes is white.

Also look at the orange alternate, it's at the very least in the same family as the Kraken jersey.

gettyimages-1209393024-594x594-1.jpg

IbjBaeE.png

50 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Seattle's striping is thicker and obviously straighter (and apparently higher up on the arm looking at it right now), but the sleeve (and sock from the unveiling graphics) pattern is similar.

E64ZzDPVcAMpnEh?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Scott-Niedermayer.jpg

Look at the dark jersey especially. The striping goes body colour/big second colour/smaller third colour/body colour/thin fourth colour/body colour. The whites in both sets also follow the same pattern, just the Ducks use more white because one of their stripes is white.

Also look at the orange alternate, it's at the very least in the same family as the Kraken jersey.

gettyimages-1209393024-594x594-1.jpg

You couldn’t be more wrong. The hem stripes don’t even match, at all.

3 hours ago, dont care said:

You couldn’t be more wrong. The hem stripes don’t even match, at all.

I never said anything about the hem stripes (though the combination of the hem striping and sleeve striping does make Seattle's jerseys similar to the Ducks orange jersey).

It is the similarities of the overall striping pattern as seen on Seattle's sleeves and as will be seen on their socks.

Ever since the switch in 06/07, the Ducks have used that striping pattern of body colour/big second colour/smaller third colour/body colour/thin fourth colour/body colour. Look at the retired number banners for Niedermayer and Selanne and tell me you don't see similarities to the sleeve striping of Seattle.

?m=02&d=20190218&t=2&i=1357716494&w=640&

IbjBaeE.png

3 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

These get uglier every time I see them. Looked even worse on the ice. Worst timed uniform redesign ever

The Brian Burke Ducks felt like a soulless hockey machine, a Team From Nowhere that scooped up a bunch of Hall of Famers out of nowhere, so the black and beige fit them better than the whimsy of the Disney set. I would have preferred hunter green and orange, though, like everyone.

The Kraken do remind me of a mix between the Ducks and Golden Knights, for whatever it's worth. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

18 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Kraken do remind me of a mix between the Ducks and Golden Knights, for whatever it's worth. 

There are a lot of similarities between the Kraken and Golden Knights. Very strong "the same people worked on both of these" vibes. 

They're both only-torsos-change designs with tiny red accents and colors that are vaguely similar to each other (multiple shades of blue-green for Seattle, neutrals for Vegas). It's the Fraser-Davidson-Redoes-SBNation effect, where all the logos are good but good the same way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

They're both only-torsos-change designs with tiny red accents and colors that are vaguely similar to each other (multiple shades of blue-green for Seattle, neutrals for Vegas). It's the Fraser-Davidson-Redoes-SBNation effect, where all the logos are good but good the same way.

They also both feature a primary that incorporates the city monogram in with a visual reflection of the team name and an alternate logo that blends a local landmark in with something thematically appropriate. 

On 7/25/2021 at 6:07 PM, ManillaToad said:

These get uglier every time I see them. Looked even worse on the ice. Worst timed uniform redesign ever

Funny, the 06 Ducks redesign has really grown on me after all these years. The black ones at least. I used to hate them and obviously, they should have never went away from the Mighty Ducks colors but I still find those black jerseys alright. Maybe it's because it's an upgrade over their current set which is awful, save for the orange alternate

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

Vegas isn't a torso only change design. The hem/upper sleeve stripes are black at home & grey on the road, so it isn't exactly the same.

The turn of the century expansion teams all used some variation of a full-sleeve yoke, so it isn't unprecedented for teams entering the league at the same time to use similar design elements.

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

The turn of the century expansion teams all used some variation of a full-sleeve yoke, so it isn't unprecedented for teams entering the league at the same time to use similar design elements.

Different sport, but I'll give you some more evidence to support your statement: take a look at the NFL during the mid-90s, namely the three expansion franchises, and the ones that rebranded: Jacksonville, Carolina, Baltimore (but don't tell them that, lol), and also Philadephia, Tampa Bay and Denver (although a bit of a different case from the rest). What you'll notice about those teams is that they all had contrast-colored collars and cuffs, no stripes on the sleeves (except Philadelphia for the first year or two on their aways, and of course Carolina who still has theirs) but instead an alternate team logo, double-outlined [and, for some, dropshadowed] numbers (in the case of Jacksonville, Baltimore, Philadelphia eventually, Tampa Bay, and then San Francisco).  Jacksonville ended up with the same style pants stripe as Atlanta had at the time, a style the 49ers also adopted circa '96 or '97. I like to call that bunch "contemporary traditional"--but yes, most of them looked extremely similar in style. It was just a product of the time--or cycle--in which they came out.

In the case of Seattle, I don't see much of the problem. I see why they kept the red to a minimum--though I can't help but to imagine what a "Red Alert" alternate sweater would look like...probably red tide or something, lol. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived