NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, flyersfan said:

Here is how the ice will look as well... including a custom red stripe.

Good choice to go with the anchor logo for the centre ice design. I hate the trend of teams forcing their overly detailed primary logos into a red & white stripe.

On 8/24/2021 at 8:29 AM, spartacat_12 said:

Good choice to go with the anchor logo for the centre ice design. I hate the trend of teams forcing their overly detailed primary logos into a red & white stripe.

Time to go back to having two team logos at centre ice. One facing the TV cameras and the other facing the other side. Or have each logo face each end of the rink.

On 8/23/2021 at 4:45 PM, GriffinM6 said:

Well, now they have to use two "S" logos, lest they be accused of being PC or, even worse, "woke."

That aside, as an old guy, I loved the look of the two logos, one facing in each direction, in the 1980s. I understand why a big bold logo covering the entire circle (and facing the camera; who cares about facing 8,000 people on the other side?) is used, but I would take the two logos back because 1) I like the idea of them being oriented towards in-person fans, 2) the red line slices the big logos, and 3) nostalgia.  I still remember the North Stars N-Star facing both directions. I also remember the Bruins having one small logo at center-ice, the Oilers putting logos outside of the circle and oriented towards the ends, and the Islanders having their logo on one side of the circle and some other logo (the arena?) on the other side.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 8/17/2021 at 8:53 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Yes. Thanks! I see what you were getting at.

I still don't agree with your conclusion though😁

I don't agree with his conclusion that the logo is less conducive than a wordmark or a number to including advertisements.

But I was really hoping that the NHL would avoid this for a semi-related reason. Hockey jerseys are have a boldness that others don't. A big ol' logo that probably leads non-fans to buy the uniforms. I was hoping (naively, I am sure) that the NHL would say "we're a fringe sport but people love our jerseys and they buy our jerseys. It's probably a bad idea to water that down with corporate sponsors."

Not sure how much money this is going to be worth, but the NBA numbers are hardly staggering (a few million per team; which teams could save by not signing Wayne Ellington).  But obviously, there's no financial downside connected with watering down your image by sharing your real estate with a sponsor.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I don't agree with his conclusion that the logo is less conducive than a wordmark or a number to including advertisements.

But I was really hoping that the NHL would avoid this for a semi-related reason. Hockey jerseys are have a boldness that others don't. A big ol' logo that probably leads non-fans to buy the uniforms. I was hoping (naively, I am sure) that the NHL would say "we're a fringe sport but people love our jerseys and they buy our jerseys. It's probably a bad idea to water that down with corporate sponsors."

Not sure how much money this is going to be worth, but the NBA numbers are hardly staggering (a few million per team; which teams could save by not signing Wayne Ellington).  But obviously, there's no financial downside connected with watering down your image by sharing your real estate with a sponsor.

Do you really think the NHL sales more jerseys to non-fans than MLB, NFL, NBA? My expectation would be that the other sports are all more culturally relevant to non-fans and are far more comfortable and can be worn more often. 

I'm in Florida though so the thought of wearing a hockey jersey of a team I'm not even a fan of is terrible 9 months out of the year.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

4 hours ago, JTernup said:

Do you really think the NHL sales more jerseys to non-fans than MLB, NFL, NBA? My expectation would be that the other sports are all more culturally relevant to non-fans and are far more comfortable and can be worn more often. 

I'm in Florida though so the thought of wearing a hockey jersey of a team I'm not even a fan of is terrible 9 months out of the year.

I don't think the NHL sells more jerseys, as it's far less popular than those sports. But I do think it sells a lot of jerseys relative to the size of its fanbase. Go to an NHL game.  Tons of jerseys. I think the jersey is a bigger part of that sport's fan fashion than the NBA and MLB; maybe not the NFL.

POTD (Shared)

7 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Well, now they have to use two "S" logos, lest they be accused of being PC or, even worse, "woke."

That aside, as an old guy, I loved the look of the two logos, one facing in each direction, in the 1980s. I understand why a big bold logo covering the entire circle (and facing the camera; who cares about facing 8,000 people on the other side?) is used, but I would take the two logos back because 1) I like the idea of them being oriented towards in-person fans, 2) the red line slices the big logos, and 3) nostalgia.  I still remember the North Stars N-Star facing both directions. I also remember the Bruins having one small logo at center-ice, the Oilers putting logos outside of the circle and oriented towards the ends, and the Islanders having their logo on one side of the circle and some other logo (the arena?) on the other side.

It depends on your perspective, literally.

I've had this view for over 25 years. I'm ok that the logo doesn't face me.
htjszvl.jpg

It's where I sit.

9 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I still remember the North Stars N-Star facing both directions.

Have it point true north, however that aligns with the rink itself. Or at least just have one logo right-side-up at center. But you can't point north in opposite directions, that's just silly.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I miss when teams would get creative with centre ice designs. The Maple Leafs with their small leaf, some teams rocking two logos, Edmonton and LA having the logos outside of the centre ice area...

Every team having just a large version of their primary at centre ice is dull. It works for some teams, but others have the history or aesthetics (or both) to do something unique and different. 

35 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I miss when teams would get creative with centre ice designs. The Maple Leafs with their small leaf, some teams rocking two logos, Edmonton and LA having the logos outside of the centre ice area...

Every team having just a large version of their primary at centre ice is dull. It works for some teams, but others have the history or aesthetics (or both) to do something unique and different. 

I loved seeing "Seasons Greetings" at Northlands Coliseum 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

5 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I don't think the NHL sells more jerseys, as it's far less popular than those sports. But I do think it sells a lot of jerseys relative to the size of its fanbase. Go to an NHL game.  Tons of jerseys. I think the jersey is a bigger part of that sport's fan fashion than the NBA and MLB; maybe not the NFL.

Oh ya I definitely think hockey fans buy more jerseys than MLB and NBA for sure. I thought your point was that non- fans are buying hockey jerseys at a greater rate which seems unlikely.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

20 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

But I was really hoping that the NHL would avoid this for a semi-related reason. Hockey jerseys are have a boldness that others don't. A big ol' logo that probably leads non-fans to buy the uniforms.

That kinda was my conclusion.  So we agree, and as usual, BBTV was right.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, JTernup said:

Oh ya I definitely think hockey fans buy more jerseys than MLB and NBA for sure. I thought your point was that non- fans are buying hockey jerseys at a greater rate which seems unlikely.

I kinda did say that hockey jerseys are purchased to some degree by non-fans...and then kinda morphed into saying that hockey fans buy jerseys at a high rate.  I was basing the former on some admittedly anecdotal experience. The latter is probably more true.

POTD (Shared)

15 hours ago, IceCap said:

I don't know if I would go that wide of variety because the large version looks good for (mostly) every team. I'd rather have 32 of that then something like the old Northlands Coliseum Oilers where the arena name/sponsor is the focal point of the ice.

However, I almost prefer the double logo. I don't know why, but I like the look of it more. (I always pick it for my expansion team in the current NHL games). In saying that, the orientation of the logo needs to allow for it because I don't think all 32 logos would necessarily fit/look good in the double logo application.

That being said, the 1981-1996 Flames main centre ice logo application always amused me. It's almost like they were too scared to cover up the faceoff dot, so they orientated the logo to show the dot. The logo didn't move "behind" the red line until 1996.

1-1%20Placeholder.webp

My least favourite was Ottawa's circa 2006-2020 with the logo being cut off by the circle so it looks like the logo and inside of the faceoff circle is at a lower elevation than the rest of the ice.

1-1%20Placeholder.webp

IbjBaeE.png

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

My least favourite was Ottawa's circa 2006-2020 with the logo being cut off by the circle so it looks like the logo and inside of the faceoff circle is at a lower elevation than the rest of the ice.

1-1%20Placeholder.webp

Yeah, they did the same thing with the 2D logo before the Edge switch:

spacer.png

I think the Flyers were the last hold out as far as "giant logo facing camera" goes.

IMO, the old design (left) looks far better than the current, just due to how the red line breaks it up.  Especially since there has to be a white border around the red line which makes it look even thicker where it cuts through the logo.

EFQFOgqXoAIaqfm?format=jpg&name=large

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Nords had two elephant igloos at center ice, but should have turned them 90 degrees. The logo would fit more gracefully into a semicircle that way.

Ice Rink Placeholder.png

Also, I didn't know COVID-19 sponsored the '95 Nordiques, man, that organization really was ahead of its time

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/26/2021 at 2:51 PM, OnWis97 said:

I would disagree with that. I would only put the NHL ahead of MLB in that respect, because the primary piece of uniform merch for the MLB is the cap.

People wear NBA jerseys all the time just as casual wear. Same, but to a lesser extent with football. They definitely seem like more of a fashion item than a hockey jersey. Hockey jerseys I think people only really wear if they're going to watch the game or their team is going deep in the playoffs. I also think people are less likely to buy a jersey that isn't of their team with the NHL. Whereas with the NBA and NFL I think you'd find lots of people buying say a Lebron James or Tom Brady jersey who might not explicitly be a Lakers or Bucs fan, whereas I think buying a Connor McDavid jersey if you don't cheer for the Oilers already is less common.

On 8/25/2021 at 10:42 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

Time to go back to having two team logos at centre ice. One facing the TV cameras and the other facing the other side. Or have each logo face each end of the rink.

Couldn't agree more. I miss the double logo center ice so much

spacer.png

56 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Also, I didn't know COVID-19 sponsored the '95 Nordiques, man, that organization really was ahead of its time

I know you're just joking but Rona is a home improvement retailer like Home Hardware or Home Depot here in Quebec

Archived