NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

On 9/26/2021 at 1:45 PM, Ark said:

The uniforms are way too dark on the ice, when are they going to make ice blue the primary color?

I'm not in the know on this, but I don't *think* an ice blue alternate is in the works anytime soon. (Unless it is.)  Nor do I believe it should be anytime soon, if ever.

Here's what people should understand about color theory: a color that unique, that unorthodox...works best in limited doses.  You want people to like it, but you don't want to kick them in the teeth with it, either (unless you're building your entire brand around being "bright and radiant--see Chargers, San Diego Los Angeles). For that to work, you need a good base for it to, well, "pop" as it's said so much around here. Your eyes are naturally going to draw to that color first. Sure you'll see the navy...but you'll NOTICE the ice blue. Catch the difference? Yes, people will like it so much they want to see it become a primary--and IMPO that's what you want, but you don't want to acquiesce to that, either. Why? Luster. See, the Tennessee Titans and Denver Broncos all went through this too; Denver actually made the switch permanent, whereas Tennessee relented and went back to navy primaries. (I'd advocate that Denver do the same, since obviously that set was designed to be navy primary so the orange "pops off", which the current iteration does not). 

Anyway, all that said...I'd really like to see a "Red Alert" Kraken alt somewhere down the line myself.

(And have people gotten used to saying "Kraken" yet???)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ark said:

The best uniforms in franchise history

houston_oilers_w.moon_.jpg

7b84bfb8afb4008bf7e6e723f91a6a09.jpg

You'll get no argument from me on the Oilers uniforms...as for the Broncos, ehh--it's not bad by any means, but I don't know that I'd still want to see it around today. (And unfortunately I have no good explanation for as to why that is at the moment...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

9 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Despite the fact that the league already has too much navy blue

FTFY

Aside from Seattle, only Columbus & Winnipeg use navy as their primary uniform colour. Not including RRs, only the Avs, Capitals, and Oilers used a navy alternate last season, and Edmonton seems to be on the path to go back to royal.

The past 15 years has seen the Canucks, Islanders, & Sabres switch to royal, while the Panthers & Predators have moved navy from primary to secondary/tertiary status. 

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Aside from Seattle, only Columbus & Winnipeg use navy as their primary uniform colour. Not including RRs, only the Avs, Capitals, and Oilers used a navy alternate last season, and Edmonton seems to be on the path to go back to royal.

The past 15 years has seen the Canucks, Islanders, & Sabres switch to royal, while the Panthers & Predators have moved navy from primary to secondary/tertiary status. 

Little misunderstanding here. I cut "no red gear" from his post. I wasn't specifically talking about jerseys. I just happen to find solid navy blue gear extremely dull and boring

But you're right, plenty of teams have replaced navy for royal, which in most cases is much better. Still, I would have liked them to make seafoam green their primary color at the very least. Not enough color variety in this league where there isn't even a purple team anymore. We didn't really need another navy team

On 9/27/2021 at 4:47 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

How would people feel about Seattle Metropolitans alt for the Kraken?

As a one-off for an outdoor game, sure, but I don't think they should get into the habit of injecting Ye Old School Iced Hockey into what's otherwise a very contemporary identity.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

As a one-off for an outdoor game, sure, but I don't think they should get into the habit of injecting Ye Old School Iced Hockey into what's otherwise a very contemporary identity.

That's a good point. A team shouldn't undercut it's new identity with a century-old one for uniform nerds and traditionalist carrying a torch for a team they never saw.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 9/28/2021 at 9:00 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Seeing the whites in action, they're better imo.

I love both. The seafoam/ice blue makes both the whites and the dark navys look colourful and distinctive. I love how the ice blue is the dominant secondary on the navys without any white...especially the usage of ice blue font.

On 9/27/2021 at 2:47 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

How would people feel about Seattle Metropolitans alt for the Kraken?

On 9/27/2021 at 8:29 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I’d go for it. It beats the heck out of the Totems, for reasons that are obvious.

I would go with ice blue(seafoam) as the primary colour with matching helmets for more distinctiveness. The sleeves can be designed like the Metropolitans' jerseys. I would try and merge the Kraken S with the Space Needle anchor secondary for the main logo on a future alt.

Archived