NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

5 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

I got my Kraken sweater this week. I LOVE it. It has a phenomenal color combination, the primary logo looks superb and the secondary fits perfectly on the shoulders. A modern classic.

An interesting thing about the inaugural season patch: it looks like it’s Mount Baker and not Mount Rainier on it. If that’s intentional it’s pretty awesome because while I love Rainier it’s a pretty cliché thing to associate with Seattle. Like Pike Place fish throwing or the needle itself. Baker, on the other hand is further North and more associated with Everett, which is a great WHL hockey town. Plus it’s visible to our rivals up in Vancouver. The only way to get a more obscure volcano on there would be Glacier Peak, but most locals can’t even recognize that.

spacer.png

Another cool thing was on the team store bag “Seattle” is in the Kraken font and not the font they usually have on the wordmark. I kind of like it better that way. (Although the Ts are super basic) Funnily enough “team store” is in the “Seattle” font.

spacer.png

That’s pretty clearly mount Rainier to me and makes more sense than using a mountain that by your own post is closer to Vancouver than it is Seattle and can’t even be seen from Seattle. Vs mount Rainier that can be seen pretty easily from Seattle on a clear day.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, dont care said:

That’s pretty clearly mount Rainier to me and makes more sense than using a mountain that by your own post is closer to Vancouver than it is Seattle and can’t even be seen from Seattle. Vs mount Rainier that can be seen pretty easily from Seattle on a clear day.

It’s not Rainier. Rainier doesn’t have two clearly defined peaks, and if you’re counting little Tahoma it’s on the left side seen from Seattle, not the right. It also can’t be Liberty Cap because that looks equal height to the true summit from most vantage points.

I could concede they just drew a generic mountain, except it looks very much like Baker viewed from the Deception Pass. The NHL.com article alludes to Rainier but that was written by a national writer and doesn’t say the patch has it. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

25 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

It’s not Rainier. Rainier doesn’t have two clearly defined peaks, and if you’re counting little Tahoma it’s on the left side seen from Seattle, not the right. It also can’t be Liberty Cap because that looks equal height to the true summit from most vantage points.

I could concede they just drew a generic mountain, except it looks very much like Baker viewed from the Deception Pass. The NHL.com article alludes to Rainier but that was written by a national writer and doesn’t say the patch has it. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm not from Washington, but looking at the picture of what I assume is Rainier, I can definitely see the mountain in the patch being a simplified illustration of Rainier, maybe from a lower angle than the picture that would put the peak on the right seemingly up higher.

From an outsider's perspective, of course.

If it is it’s a terrible drawing. Rainier isn’t pointy and only has one clear peak from most angles.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

1 hour ago, TenaciousG said:

If it is it’s a terrible drawing. Rainier isn’t pointy and only has one clear peak from most angles.

It is 100% supposed to be Mt. Rainer:

"One of our brand design tenets is sea to sky," says Drew Hamlet, Kraken art director. "We wanted to reflect the concept. Not only that the Kraken lives in Puget Sound but throughout the Pacific Northwest."

If you are wondering ... yes, says Hamlet, the mountain peak rising above lettering at the top of the patch is modeled after Mt. Rainier. 

https://www.nhl.com/kraken/news/kraken-release-inaugural-season-jersey-patch/c-326066534

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

The fact that this debate is even happening shows that the logo isn't all that well designed.

Is it though? It looks like a mountain. Only question is which one. How many mountains/volcanos really are that indistinguishable from eachother other than Mount Rushmore.

The only possible problem I see with the patch is the pointless white outline on a jersey that doesn’t have any white. The ice blue is more than enough border to set the shield off from the background. 

spacer.png
I really hate it when teams think a border color needs to be separated from the same background color. 

the shield already has two borders - light blue and dark blue.  That means that it has more than enough definition against a light blue background and a dark blue background.  The white is just extraneous noise. 

Congrats Seattle.

Great NHL debut.

The away unis looked fantastic ( @ebod39& @andrewharrington)

The theme offered up the opportunity for some impressive & fun pre-game graphics from the Vegas creative crew.👍

....and the "Kraken" moniker sounded just FINE !!

2 hours ago, sparkychewbarky said:

Congrats Seattle.

Great NHL debut.

The away unis looked fantastic ( @ebod39& @andrewharrington)

The theme offered up the opportunity for some impressive & fun pre-game graphics from the Vegas creative crew.👍

....and the "Kraken" moniker sounded just FINE !!

It will be interesting to see what is done when they play Detroit with the octopus connection.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I watched hockey for the first time in ages just to see their debut, and it didn’t disappoint. They looked great. I wasn’t as high on the white sweater as I was on the blue, but last night changed my mind. Really great work. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, sparkychewbarky said:

Congrats Seattle.

Great NHL debut.

The away unis looked fantastic

Anyone know why they didn't play their first game at home?

Also...

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

52 minutes ago, McCall said:

They don't play their first home game until the 23rd. I would assume to allow for the arena to be finished.

Yeah, the arena's not entirely done yet. They play four more away games over the next week and a half.

Not as bad as the situation with the other new arena in the Islanders who start with a 13 game road trip and don't have their home opener until November 20.

IbjBaeE.png

That lightest shade of blue was a needed color addition to the league. 

I still wish there was some purple (@kings), and I thought a Salmon and Dark green would look great from my own concept experimentation. but thats an entirely different debate.

Kraken looked good, and beyond the obvious knowledge this team is new, I dont think the name sounds off (I always liked it tbf)

Excited to see them open at home and see the blue in action. (I didnt watch any preseason)

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

27 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

The captain letters badly need a light blue outline. That looks so cheap

spacer.png

It’s like the opposite of the Red Wings nameplates. They switched to a cheaper looking one at the end of the preseason. 

Archived