NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

On 10/14/2021 at 12:04 PM, tBBP said:

Whoa...I completely missed that one.  How long have they been doing that? And do the alternates' patches really read "Panthers" while the captain's patches read "Florida"? That's really kinda not smart if that's the case.

Also, just in case there may be someone out there unsure as to the source inspiration behind this setup...

61BQgAyZJWL._AC_UX342_.jpg

original.jpg

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Reprehensible. 

I'm counting six, maybe seven, NHL teams whose branding is in some way armed forces inspired to varying degrees.

Anaheim (colours), Chicago (name (and logo sort of?)), Columbus (everything), Florida (everything but name and colours), Toronto (name), Vegas (everything) and Winnipeg (logo). Vancouver is that maybe seventh team with the name.

IbjBaeE.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/14/2021 at 9:34 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

It's an okay rebrand, other than the chest stripe that doesn't go around the back, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the jersey. The military theme for a team called the Panthers is a bit unwarranted and slightly corny but it's subtle so I can live with it. The thing is, while it was a huge improvement over the Edge monstrosity it replaced, the OG jerseys were much better. If it was up to me, they'd go with the RR jerseys full time. Make a red third or demote the navy RR to third jersey status, I think both options would be acceptable, make a white version for the road and that's instantly a top 10 look in the league imo. I could also go either way on the beige vs golden yellow, either would be good

spacer.png

I've always been a fan of the Panthers original look, but the RR is the best look in franchise history.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

9 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I'm counting six, maybe seven, NHL teams whose branding is in some way armed forces inspired to varying degrees.

Anaheim (colours), Chicago (name (and logo sort of?)), Columbus (everything), Florida (everything but name and colours), Toronto (name), Vegas (everything) and Winnipeg (logo). Vancouver is that maybe seventh team with the name.

Some of those are pretty dubious. The Maple Leafs were named after a baseball team (just as later American football teams did), “Canucks” refers back to a national symbol used in political cartoons, and the Ducks?

Regardless, it could be universal and still be reprehensible.

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

and the Ducks?

The black and gold was Brian Burke's doing. While not as blatant as Vegas, he too wanted to dress them up like the Army Black Knights. That paired with ownership's desire to represent Orange County is how they ended up with those colours.

On 10/14/2021 at 6:27 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.png

"Captain Florida" cracks me up every time.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

39 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Some of those are pretty dubious. The Maple Leafs were named after a baseball team (just as later American football teams did), “Canucks” refers back to a national symbol used in political cartoons, and the Ducks?

Regardless, it could be universal and still be reprehensible.

I'm sure the Toronto Hockey Maple Leafs would have seen the Toronto Baseball Maple Leafs, but the Hockey Maple Leafs name officially comes from the Maple Leaf Regiment of WWI and Conn Smythe going all Viola/Foley.

“The Maple Leaf to us, was the badge of courage, the badge that meant home. It was the badge that reminded us all of our exploits and the different difficulties we got into and the different accomplishments we made. It was a badge that meant more to us than any other badge that we could think of... so we chose it... hoping that the possession of this badge would mean something to the team that wore it and when they skated out on the ice with this badge on their chest... they would wear it with honour and pride and courage, the way it had been worn by the soldiers of the first Great War in the Canadian Army."

As I'm typing this, I see @wildwing64 explained the Ducks part.

The Canucks were named after the Johnny Canuck political cartoon character, but at the time when the original WHL Canucks started, Johnny Canuck was a Captain America-esque fighting the Nazis comic book character. Though that team used the original lumberjack image of Johnny Canuck and not the soldier, so that's why it was only maybe for me and a stretch at that.

IbjBaeE.png

4 hours ago, GMW79 said:

I've always been a fan of the Panthers original look, but the RR is the best look in franchise history.

I still much prefer the original navy blue alternate, but the RR was pretty good.

I saw, I came, I left.

I know I’m late to the discussion about the Kraken C/A patches, but I think it’s one of the best quirks of their sweaters. I like that they are oversized. It gives it an old-school “throw it together” look. It’s not a modern day, micro-managed approach to design. It wasn’t that long ago that the Maple Leafs had a quirk that fell into this category. And once again, I loved it.spacer.png

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

6 hours ago, monkeypower said:

The Canucks were named after the Johnny Canuck political cartoon character, but at the time when the original WHL Canucks started, Johnny Canuck was a Captain America-esque fighting the Nazis comic book character. Though that team used the original lumberjack image of Johnny Canuck and not the soldier, so that's why it was only maybe for me and a stretch at that.

Even the comic book character was more superhero than soldier. Like Captain America, who was actually a soldier but whose shtick isn’t exactly “military”. 

I’ll grant you the Ducks, though that still boggles my mind, but I don’t think the Canucks really count. 

The lumberjack iteration of Johnny Canuck stems from how important timber was to the growth of BC, similar to how Edmonton has the Oilers and Pittsburgh the steelers. I do like the idea of a lumberjack identity for a Vancouver team, but I don't want to derail the thread for yet another round of mindless Canuck bickering.

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

The lumberjack iteration of Johnny Canuck stems from how important timber was to the growth of BC, similar to how Edmonton has the Oilers and Pittsburgh the steelers. I do like the idea of a lumberjack identity for a Vancouver team, but I don't want to derail the thread for yet another round of mindless Canuck bickering.

Maybe we can use it for if the NBA ever comes back to Vancouver 😛

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Even the comic book character was more superhero than soldier. Like Captain America, who was actually a soldier but whose shtick isn’t exactly “military”. 

I’ll grant you the Ducks, though that still boggles my mind, but I don’t think the Canucks really count. 

Hence why I initially called the Canucks a maybe and then said,

9 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Though that team used the original lumberjack image of Johnny Canuck and not the soldier, so that's why it was only maybe for me and a stretch at that.

And you'll grant me the Ducks? There's nothing subjective there to grant. Brian Burke wanting to look like the Army Black Knights of West Point, plus the ownership wanting orange, are the reason the Ducks are the colours they are.

IbjBaeE.png

7 hours ago, Frylock said:

I know I’m late to the discussion about the Kraken C/A patches, but I think it’s one of the best quirks of their sweaters. I like that they are oversized. It gives it an old-school “throw it together” look. It’s not a modern day, micro-managed approach to design. It wasn’t that long ago that the Maple Leafs had a quirk that fell into this category. And once again, I loved it.spacer.png

I just remembered another example of this, and it’s an opportunity to Canuck-jack (lumberjack-jack?) the thread. 

When the Canucks celebrated their 40th anniversary, they did proper throwbacks, down to the most obscure detail. And that included the large and unusual C and A.

spacer.png

Fun fact: more than likely, the same seamstress or tailor worked with during the end of their WHL run. 

spacer.png

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

12 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Maple Leafs were named after a baseball team

Not according to the league.

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/news/deep-ties-between-the-maple-leafs-and-canadian-armed-forces/c-869660

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

So I've watched the Kraken in their road whites 3 times. Here's my specific issue with these jerseys - the logo has the thick blue outline, which makes the light blue and seafoam green POP off the dark background (yeah I'm actually using one of my least favorite design buzzwords), but the logo along with the hem stripe creates this visual inconsistency with the sleeve and sock stripes because the seafoam green touches the white of the sleeves, which makes them look unfinished. Quick fix: navy blue stripe on top of the sleeve and sock stripes the same width as the blue outline on the logo would keep the colors from touching white and would give the same basic look as the blue jerseys, it would just have a white body. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 10/17/2021 at 7:58 PM, monkeypower said:

And you'll grant me the Ducks? There's nothing subjective there to grant. Brian Burke wanting to look like the Army Black Knights of West Point, plus the ownership wanting orange, are the reason the Ducks are the colours they are.

Have the Ducks ever played up their Army connection?  Do they remind people of it on Memorial Day and Veterans Day and all the other various holidays?   Because if not, then maybe I shouldn’t have granted it in the first place. ;) 

They don't that I know of, but the colors are what they are because Brian Burke wanted to pretend the Ducks were West Point cadets. Unfortunately for everyone's favorite barn fighter who pees on the floor, though the Army Ducks did win a Cup, I don't think it was very cadet-like that they were getting penalized and suspended for breaking rules seemingly every single night. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

They don't that I know of, but the colors are what they are because Brian Burke wanted to pretend the Ducks were West Point cadets. Unfortunately for everyone's favorite barn fighter who pees on the floor, though the Army Ducks did win a Cup, I don't think it was very cadet-like that they were getting penalized and suspended for breaking rules seemingly every single night. 

No, they haven't done anything over what any other team does.

Yes, the colours are what they are today because Brian Burke liked West Point and the owners liked Orange County. I don't know what Gothamite is getting on here about, the Ducks are entirely Army inspired regardless of how much they do or do not play up their Army connection. 

Do the Golden Knights or Panthers ever play up their connection to the Army over and above the typical amount of flag waving a sports team does?

IbjBaeE.png

I would say that the Blackhawks started playing up their military connections a lot under John McDonough. They still have a Venn diagram of servicemembers and Native Americans out for the national anthem, and while I'm sure lots of teams have veterans come out for anthems, McDonough's intent was to make a spectacle out of cheering for patriotic Natives patriotically and kinda keep everyone on the same page. It was actually a savvy bit of problem-solving on his part. Less savvy was protecting a pedophile.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived