NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turning "we're retiring #1 because the fans are #1" into "we're retiring #32 because we're #32" just shows how much big business has consolidated its power since the advent of the Minnesota Wild!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Per the earlier discussion about the Kraken captains letters being single layer and not having an outline anymore, while I'm wondering about why the switch was made, I wonder if it's something similar to the Capitals captains letters or what some baseball teams do where they keep the "groupings" of fonts together. So the Kraken captain letters are single layer, but they are meant to match the NOB and not the numbers.

Washington's captains letters match the logo letters.

cut.jpg

The Twins NOB and script match each other while the front and back numbers also match each other.

GettyImages-1273573513.jpg?w=980&q=75

IbjBaeE.png

The announcer (Steve Levy maybe?) comments early on that the Kraken are debuting with "maybe the best sweaters in all of hockey immediately":

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=32462525

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Is this real?  If so, this is impossibly stupid from a franchise that so far seems to be anything but.

32 is such a great number, and to remove it from circulation before it ever gets worn is absurd.  I guess it doesn't have the same appeal in hockey as it does in every other sport, being that 30s are generally goalies, but it's still one of the most aesthetically-pleasing numbers out there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

45 minutes ago, BBTV said:

The announcer (Steve Levy maybe?) comments early on that the Kraken are debuting with "maybe the best sweaters in all of hockey immediately":

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=32462525

I think there's a certain kind of person swayed by non-traditional colors. The Kraken look great, but not that great. Top 15 sweater, okay. Top 5? Not really.

42 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Is this real?  If so, this is impossibly stupid from a franchise that so far seems to be anything but.

32 is such a great number, and to remove it from circulation before it ever gets worn is absurd.  I guess it doesn't have the same appeal in hockey as it does in every other sport, being that 30s are generally goalies, but it's still one of the most aesthetically-pleasing numbers out there.

It's real and it's goofy as hell. There's plenty of goodwill for the Kraken in Seattle, even if they get doubled up in their first home game. People are going to support this team. They don't need silly number retirement ceremonies. And especially ones that don't make any sense! The Kraken might be the 32nd franchise in 2021, but they're far from the 32nd all-time NHL franchise.

I don't want to venture into @IceCap territory here, but you can't just pretend the KC Scouts and Oakland Seals and Atlanta Thrashers and Brooklyn Americans and Cleveland Barons didn't exist. Yes, there were relocations and renamings and "Original Six" revisionism, but there have been more than 31 NHL franchises prior to the start of this season.

EDIT: I just looked in a bit more, and if you use the Original Six as a starting point and consolidate all relocations, the Kraken are still the 33rd franchise because the Seals/Barons folded.

So yeah, retiring 32 is really dumb.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

19 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think there's a certain kind of person swayed by non-traditional colors. The Kraken look great, but not that great. Top 15 sweater, okay. Top 5? Not really.

It's real and it's goofy as hell. There's plenty of goodwill for the Kraken in Seattle, even if they get doubled up in their first home game. People are going to support this team. They don't need silly number retirement ceremonies. And especially ones that don't make any sense! The Kraken might be the 32nd franchise in 2021, but they're far from the 32nd all-time NHL franchise.

I don't want to venture into @IceCap territory here, but you can't just pretend the KC Scouts and Oakland Seals and Atlanta Thrashers and Brooklyn Americans and Cleveland Barons didn't exist. Yes, there were relocations and renamings and "Original Six" revisionism, but there have been more than 31 NHL franchises prior to the start of this season.

EDIT: I just looked in a bit more, and if you use the Original Six as a starting point and consolidate all relocations, the Kraken are still the 33rd franchise because the Seals/Barons folded.

So yeah, retiring 32 is really dumb.

I mean people try to say the sharks are a continuation of the seals. So they could still be the 32nd in some peoples minds. I don’t. The connection is so thin and so far apart between the north stars merger and then the owner taking half the plays with him to San Jose. I just can’t view it as the same franchise.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I mean people try to say the sharks are a continuation of the seals. So they could still be the 32nd in some peoples minds. I don’t. The connection is so thin and so far apart between the north stars merger and then the owner taking half the plays with him to San Jose. I just can’t view it as the same franchise.

That entire thing is just weird and complex.

The Gunds become minority owners of the Seals in 1974, then persuade Swig to move them to Cleveland in 1976; then after the disaster there, the Gunds purchased Minnesota and folded Cleveland into the North Stars in 1978, who they tried to move back to the Bay Area but couldn't.

Then, years later, Harold Baldwin assembles a group to push for the NHL to expand to San Jose, and the NHL decided to strike a compromise by giving Baldwin and company the North Stars and awarding a San Jose expansion franchise to the Gunds, who had previously owned the Seals, effectively meaning that they had gone full circle.

So the Seals and Sharks are absolutely historically connected, and the Sharks are a spiritual continuation, even if not necessarily a literal one, of the Seals. It's a lot like the Browns situation, except the league isn't trying to screw with history and claim a franchise went into dormancy when it really relocated.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

but there have been more than 31 NHL franchises prior to the start of this season.

1- Montreal Canadiens

2- Montreal Wanderers

3- Ottawa Senators V1 (St. Louis Eagles)

4- Toronto Arenas (St. Pats -> Maple Leafs)

5- Quebec Bulldogs (Hamilton Tigers -> New York Americans -> Brooklyn Americans)

6- Montreal Maroons

7- Boston Bruins

8- Pittsburgh Pirates (Philadelphia Quakers)

9- Chicago Blackhawks

10- Detroit Cougars (Falcons -> Red Wings)

11- New York Rangers

12- Los Angeles Kings

13- Minnesota North Stars (Dallas Stars)

14- Oakland Seals (California Seals -> Golden Seals -> Cleveland Barons)

15- Philadelphia Flyers

16- Pittsburgh Penguins

17- St. Louis Blues

18- Buffalo Sabres

19- Vancouver Canucks

20- Atlanta Flames (Calgary Flames)

21- New York Islanders

22- Kansas City Scouts (Colorado Rockies -> New Jersey Devils)

23- Washington Capitals

24- Edmonton Oilers

25- Hartford Whalers (Carolina Hurricanes)

26- Quebec Nordiques (Colorado Avalanche)

27- Winnipeg Jets V1 (Phoenix Coyotes -> Arizona Coyotes)

28- San Jose Sharks

29- Ottawa Senators V2

30- Tampa Bay Lightning

31- Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (Anaheim Ducks)

32- Florida Panthers

33- Nashville Predators

34- Atlanta Thrashers (Winnipeg Jets V2)

35- Columbus Blue Jackets

36- Minnesota Wild

37- Vegas Golden Knights

38- Seattle Kraken

The Kraken are the 38th NHL franchise. 37th if you count the Sharks as a continuation of the Seals/Golden Seals/Barons.

3 hours ago, ebod39 said:

Correct.  This is how it was intended. 

I understand the rationale but still think it looks way better to have an outlined “A” or “C” in a specialized font.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

23 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

That entire thing is just weird and complex.

The Gunds become minority owners of the Seals in 1974, then persuade Swig to move them to Cleveland in 1976; then after the disaster there, the Gunds purchased Minnesota and folded Cleveland into the North Stars in 1978, who they tried to move back to the Bay Area but couldn't.

Then, years later, Harold Baldwin assembles a group to push for the NHL to expand to San Jose, and the NHL decided to strike a compromise by giving Baldwin and company the North Stars and awarding a San Jose expansion franchise to the Gunds, who had previously owned the Seals, effectively meaning that they had gone full circle.

So the Seals and Sharks are absolutely historically connected, and the Sharks are a spiritual continuation, even if not necessarily a literal one, of the Seals. It's a lot like the Browns situation, except the league isn't trying to screw with history and claim a franchise went into dormancy when it really relocated.

Plus the Sharks got to take 14 unprotected players from North Stars and then the North Stars got to participate in the Sharks expansion draft. So the Stars and Sharks are connected in the sense that the were once a facto single team divided into two teams, which were then backfilled through an expansion draft.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

18 hours ago, ebod39 said:

Correct.  This is how it was intended. 

I mean if it's how it was intended they would've made the captain's patches that way from the beginning. They still haven't explained why they made the change after the pre-season.

Now Seattle joins Minnesota as the only teams whose captain letters match the NOB instead of the numbers or logo.

23 hours ago, BBTV said:

Kinda harsh for a mundane, trivial thing, no?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

20 hours ago, IceCap said:

1- Montreal Canadiens

2- Montreal Wanderers

3- Ottawa Senators V1 (St. Louis Eagles)

4- Toronto Arenas (St. Pats -> Maple Leafs)

5- Quebec Bulldogs (Hamilton Tigers -> New York Americans -> Brooklyn Americans)

6- Montreal Maroons

7- Boston Bruins

8- Pittsburgh Pirates (Philadelphia Quakers)

9- Chicago Blackhawks

10- Detroit Cougars (Falcons -> Red Wings)

11- New York Rangers

12- Los Angeles Kings

13- Minnesota North Stars (Dallas Stars)

14- Oakland Seals (California Seals -> Golden Seals -> Cleveland Barons)

15- Philadelphia Flyers

16- Pittsburgh Penguins

17- St. Louis Blues

18- Buffalo Sabres

19- Vancouver Canucks

20- Atlanta Flames (Calgary Flames)

21- New York Islanders

22- Kansas City Scouts (Colorado Rockies -> New Jersey Devils)

23- Washington Capitals

24- Edmonton Oilers

25- Hartford Whalers (Carolina Hurricanes)

26- Quebec Nordiques (Colorado Avalanche)

27- Winnipeg Jets V1 (Phoenix Coyotes -> Arizona Coyotes)

28- San Jose Sharks

29- Ottawa Senators V2

30- Tampa Bay Lightning

31- Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (Anaheim Ducks)

32- Florida Panthers

33- Nashville Predators

34- Atlanta Thrashers (Winnipeg Jets V2)

35- Columbus Blue Jackets

36- Minnesota Wild

37- Vegas Golden Knights

38- Seattle Kraken

The Kraken are the 38th NHL franchise. 37th if you count the Sharks as a continuation of the Seals/Golden Seals/Barons.

I mean, they conveniently shove five franchises under the rug for Original Six™ nostalgia so this is on-brand OITGDNHL thinking.

VmWIn6B.png

45 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I mean if it's how it was intended they would've made the captain's patches that way from the beginning. They still haven't explained why they made the change after the pre-season.

They made a mistake and it was caught and corrected.

They don't owe an explanation.

52 minutes ago, ebod39 said:

They made a mistake and it was caught and corrected.

They don't owe an explanation.

But what is exactly the mistake? The preseason patches looked fine, but maybe they were a little too big. It's strange for a team that put so much time into building & releasing their branding to overlook something.

I don't hate the change, but I don't think there's anything wrong with being curious about the thought process behind the decision. Obviously the casual fan couldn't care less, but I'm sure there are plenty who bought jerseys with the original As on them.

Archived