NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

52 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Totally off to the side, but that still remains one of favorite NHL alternate looks... ever.  Right up there with the alt black Capitals set from the Bondra/Kolzig/Gonchar/Juneau days. 

Hated it at first, but its longevity has won me over because they've worn it long enough that it no longer feels like they're cosplaying as another team whenever they put it on. It's crazy, but that look has lasted over 10 years almost unchanged*. It even survived two seasons when they didn't wear alternates at all and then came back the next year like it had never left. Their home-road-alternate set might be the longest running 3 jersey group in the league right now?

I didn't think it'd last one season when they first introduced it because it was jumping on two overdone trends at the time: 1. They played ugh "Original 6 Dressup", hate that term, and 2. the blue-on-blue thing was huge in the NHL at that point. The Penguins, were doing blue-blue throwbacks and fauxbacks left, right, and center. The Panthers had an ill-advised navy and light blue alternate in 09 and 10 that everyone hated. The Thrashers and their light blue jerseys with navy blue accents had been around for a while, and of course the Blues had played blue and blue for over a decade to great acclaim. The Blue Jackets came in real late, but they've stuck with it long enough that it's overcome the initial blacklash. 

I just wish Boomer the cannon had lived longer than a couple weeks. RIP. 

*they dropped the super blocky original font in 2018 when the team went away from copperplate font on the homes and roads. Now the alternate jerseys use the same font as the home and roads. Big upgrade, even. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sport said:

The Seahawks ripped off the 12th man thing from Texas A&M so if the Kraken want to ripoff the "5th line" from the Blue Jackets go ahead. I think it's super corny and I know one of the fans who started that whole thing and he's a huge dolt. 

7a9868d7-700a-4a88-bf4e-deb7bc4427eb-SP_

2205_h.jpg

nhl-new-york-islanders-columbus-blue-jac

I'd be really pissed if I was behind that banner.  Granted it's only warmups, but I still don't want a giant piece of cloth covering me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Kraken consulted an indigenous peoples advisor to make sure that tossing a plush salmon wasn't a cultural insult...

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/32494447/seattle-kraken-three-stars-postgame-ceremony-features-players-tossing-plush-salmon-fans

30 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I'd be really pissed if I was behind that banner.  Granted it's only warmups, but I still don't want a giant piece of cloth covering me.

This was right before or after the national anthem of a playoff game and I was actually under it once (I might be in this picture, who knows?). It crowd surfs over the top of you so fast it's really not a problem. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 hours ago, IceCap said:

Seems like the attitude towards "jersey fouls" is dependent on the team. The Kraken are everyone's darlings right now so it's all "you put whatever you want on that thing!"

But once a pic of some fat guy in a Rangers fauxback with "GRETZKY 99" on the back hits the web it's back to bashing 😉

I have no problem with that example 🤷‍♂️ 

I don't mind them retiring 32 at all, outside of 32 being my favorite number and its retirement meaning it'll never be worn on the ice in those gorgeous uniforms. The sentiment is fine, and retiring numbers for the fans is a good rallying point for a young franchise. The connection to being the 32nd franchise works fine in my book, since the league has never had 32 teams at once until now. I don't mind either banner being hung up at all, and it definitely helps make that arena roof look a bit more interesting than just plain rafters.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

Is anybody the “7th man”? 

Also, I have no issue whatsoever with the Metropolitans banner. First US based Stanley Cup winner, their historic achievement was probably buried by lack of top tier hockey in Seattle and the 1918 pandemic that came right after it. If the dead guys on the team could see it somehow they’d be happy. Or at least their grandkids can be happy now.

The real travesty is no Supersonic basketball in the arena and therefore no Sonics banner. 

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

16 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

You can't buy a football jersey without a number; it's just a blank shirt and you'd look like an idiot.

The CFL begs to differ. Most CFL jerseys are sold blank. You need to specify a name or number from the team store if you want one. 

13 hours ago, sparkychewbarky said:

The Kraken consulted an indigenous peoples advisor to make sure that tossing a plush salmon wasn't a cultural insult...

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/32494447/seattle-kraken-three-stars-postgame-ceremony-features-players-tossing-plush-salmon-fans

We really should be shunning the Red Wings for starting this thread of throwing seafood on the ice. 

Then again...is it really their fault if Johnny Come Lately's all stole their gimmick? 

6 hours ago, IceCap said:

We really should be shunning the Red Wings for starting this thread of throwing seafood on the ice. 

Then again...is it really their fault if Johnny Come Lately's all stole their gimmick? 

The players are tossing the salmon plushes to the crowd, sir.  Quite different from the hurling of real octopi onto the Detroit ice.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

12 hours ago, IceCap said:

The CFL begs to differ. Most CFL jerseys are sold blank. You need to specify a name or number from the team store if you want one. 

Indeed!

8895_611c04aaa84e72.49786971_022_Edmonto

TIL

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't think I've ever seen a pro team post thirst traps on social before: https://www.instagram.com/p/CVmFZQKpej0/

That's different, isn't it?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I don't think I've ever seen a pro team post thirst traps on social before: https://www.instagram.com/p/CVmFZQKpej0/

That's different, isn't it?

I feel like before he retired, Lundqvist was playfully objectified pretty frequently on social media.

On 10/28/2021 at 3:50 PM, TenaciousG said:

Is anybody the “7th man”? 

Also, I have no issue whatsoever with the Metropolitans banner. First US based Stanley Cup winner, their historic achievement was probably buried by lack of top tier hockey in Seattle and the 1918 pandemic that came right after it. If the dead guys on the team could see it somehow they’d be happy. Or at least their grandkids can be happy now.

The real travesty is no Supersonic basketball in the arena and therefore no Sonics banner. 

The Canucks did a very awkward 7th man thing years ago to try to play on the Seahawks 12th man feel,  but it flopped and was quickly dropped. 

102508_bannersanford_b.jpg

Archived