NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

On 10/14/2021 at 1:04 PM, tBBP said:

Whoa...I completely missed that one.  How long have they been doing that? And do the alternates' patches really read "Panthers" while the captain's patches read "Florida"? That's really kinda not smart if that's the case.

Nah...they were just showing what the captain/alternate patches looked like above the secondary logo.  The Florida one's on the red jerseys, Panthers one's on the whites.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/28/2021 at 9:06 AM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

You can't buy a football jersey without a number; it's just a blank shirt and you'd look like an idiot.

Technically you can...though admittedly NFL blanks tend to be extremely hard to find unless you stumble upon them.  OTOH, if you don't mind DIY'ing, wholesalers are pretty easy to find.

2016cubscreamsig.png

xth Man doesn't really work for hockey, in my opinion, because while there are six players on the ice at full strength, the fact that they're coming and going on the fly kind of makes all of them the 7th through 20th men in a way that I wouldn't think of for the other team sports, yet calling the fans "the 21st man" doesn't feel right, either.

The Bears under Lovie Smith tried "the fourth phase," which didn't quite take. Of course, nor did "orange swarm" for their alternate jerseys; sloganeering was never his strong suit, after all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

xth Man doesn't really work for hockey, in my opinion, because while there are six players on the ice at full strength, the fact that they're coming and going on the fly kind of makes all of them the 7th through 20th men in a way that I wouldn't think of for the other team sports, yet calling the fans "the 21st man" doesn't feel right, either.

The Bears under Lovie Smith tried "the fourth phase," which didn't quite take. Of course, nor did "orange swarm" for their alternate jerseys; sloganeering was never his strong suit, after all.

The blue jackets “5th line” I think is probably the best of the options. I mean there is t a 5th line but the fans energy can swing momentum for a team like a fresh line coming onto the ice to score a goal, winning a fight, ect.

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

It's also tricky because even though there are 6 players on the ice for each team, even strength hockey is referred to as 5-on-5. Goalies aren't really counted, but when a goalie is pulled it is referred to as 6-on-5/6-on-4/etc. 

5 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

It's also tricky because even though there are 6 players on the ice for each team, even strength hockey is referred to as 5-on-5. Goalies aren't really counted, but when a goalie is pulled it is referred to as 6-on-5/6-on-4/etc. 

Goalies are people too dammit! :hockeysmiley:

2016cubscreamsig.png

Forgive me if people already have seen this, or if this isn't legit, but I thought this might interest folks:

IMO, that flat squid + anchor mark with the full "SEATTLE" text (second column from the left, third from the top of the sketches) is by far the best Kraken concept *that actually shows a full cephalopod* that I've seen, but I'm glad they didn't go the route of showing it.

These flat san-serif S + anchor logos, both with (just above the bottom left of the sketches) and without (top row of the vectorized ones) the Space Needle, are quite nice and would be excellent primary logos in their own rights!

Don't like the mascot drawing though... Reminds me why I don't like the Kraken name in the first place :P

(Also I imagine that by "when," OP means "if" in that last part... Nothing in the works for the Sounders, AFAIK)

5 minutes ago, CS85 said:

A lot of those would be phenomenal for merch.

Yeah, and that S shield with the tentacles or the SK anchor/tentacle could be phenomenal for a fauxback design.

Also seems like the Space Needle/anchor was a common logo design point through the brand's development process.

18 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

This looks like a tattoo artist’s portfolio. I mean that in a good way!

That's because it is!

http://www.kylermartz.com/about

He's also done some cool murals/signs for shops and restaurants around town.

Anyways, it's a cool, maritime-y aesthetic that'd be unique in the sports world AFAIK... and it also interplays well with a '20s/Metropolitans vibe too (especially that Art Deco S + Needle + Anchor logo)!

12 hours ago, IceCap said:

Not a reach IMO.

Not at all.  It's certainly not intentional, and the designer - like me - probably wasn't aware of the black sun symbol, but it's certainly close enough that it's one of those things that would be pointed out right away and cause the logo to be immediately dropped.  If you're familiar with the symbol, I'm not sure how you can't see it in that logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Not at all.  It's certainly not intentional, and the designer - like me - probably wasn't aware of the black sun symbol, but it's certainly close enough that it's one of those things that would be pointed out right away and cause the logo to be immediately dropped.  If you're familiar with the symbol, I'm not sure how you can't see it in that logo.

Exactly. And you really can't run with something like that given what's going on in the world presently. 

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

Of course they wouldn’t go with it as a final design, just like whenever they find an accidental swastika in something. But this isn’t even that bad. Some modifications and the addition of color would squash that; an octopus with 8 hockey sticks is a really cool idea in the end.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Archived