NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

3 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Of course they wouldn’t go with it as a final design, just like whenever they find an accidental swastika in something. But this isn’t even that bad. Some modifications and the addition of color would squash that; an octopus with 8 hockey sticks is a really cool idea in the end.

I also think it's flying a little too close to my Cleveland Spiders concept:

dHnSMK4.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would he be breaking a stick?  I don't understand why some sports logos (Sharks, FL Panthers) are breaking the equipment that the team needs to play the game.

Also, do we know it's a "he/him"?  They should give him another leg just to be clear.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

48 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Why would he be breaking a stick?  I don't understand why some sports logos (Sharks, FL Panthers) are breaking the equipment that the team needs to play the game.

Also, do we know it's a "he/him"?  They should give him another leg just to be clear.

Looks like he took his opponents stick and broke it over his head. He also needs another 2 legs just to be an octopus. I still think he looks like a cheap spongebob character from the biker bar episode.

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Probably because a hockey stick is a long awkward shape to fit into a square logo shape. 

7 hours ago, BBTV said:

I've always assumed that the implication was they were breaking opponents' sticks. Because you're right, breaking their own would be nonsensical. 

...or they just wanted some sort of "action" and "toughness" in the logo and didn't think much of the implication of the logo?

However, wasn't there some sort of thing that the Sharks logo was supposed to be eating the Penguins logo? Or is that some sort of internet urban legend?

EDIT: lol, I just googled "San Jose Sharks Pittsburgh Penguins logo" to see if I could find anything and found this Fansided blog post from February 24, 2015 referencing this CCSLC thread from two days prior.

That appears to be the entirety of the Sharks-Pens discussion anywhere. The call is coming from inside the house!

IbjBaeE.png

25 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

However, wasn't there some sort of thing that the Sharks logo was supposed to be eating the Penguins logo? Or is that some sort of internet urban legend?

Probably urban legend. The idea that the Sharks would specifically pick on the Penguins seems peculiar. But interestingly both teams took inspiration from triangle-shaped locales for their logos (Pittsburgh's Golden Triangle and the Bay Area's Red Triangle).

Mind you there was this gif from the 2016 Stanley Cup Finals:

Spoiler

StRGdF5.gif

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived