crashcarson15

NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

Any idea when jerseys will be available?

25 minutes ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

Dissapointed it's Kraken, but not gonna lie, they did a way better job on the logos and colors than I thought they would.

Oh ye of little faith

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JayMac said:

MOD EDIT

I want to like the identity but the name kills it.

I actually think it could if you really wanted to stretch it.

That being said, if anyone brought that up, even I, a champion of the offended, would slap that person.

Edited by officeglenn

1 minute ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Just this year the boards absolutely adored the Padres and Chargers new uniforms, for good reason. We're praising the Kraken's logos and uniforms because they look great, despite the name! I don't know where you're getting " :censored:ting on absolutely everything that every team ever does" simply because the board isn't a fan of the name, or things like the Rams new logos/uniforms.

Gotta second this. I *personally* don't get the utter revulsion to the Kraken name here, but this board praises plenty of things as well. There's definitely a culture here that has preferences that tend to swing strongly one way or the other, but it will swing positively just as much as it will negatively.

The thing is, you get a forum of people who care passionately about one topic enough and you're going to get strong opinions. If you come to a forum of people who care about sports logos, identities, and uniforms (a pretty niche interest) you're going to get strong opinions. 

OK I'm minority

Love the name Kraken, enough of those Panthers, Ducks, Coyotes blablah names.

Kraken involves agressivity, terror, mystery. I like the idea. Its out of the box for me, like it.

The logo est outstanding.

The jersey need work IMHO.

I hate the name Kraken, but after seeing the S logo I've calmed down considerably. 

The wordmark is very similar to the Ravens new social media wordmark, no? (the beveled one)...It feels very familiar. 

I don't like they went with Kraken...but since they did, they really did a good job with the brand. 

6 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I'd rather be a contrarian than a curmudgeon. 

If you don't like a name then you are a curmudgeon? The name is bad and it has no significance to the area. 

3 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Just this year the boards absolutely adored the Padres and Chargers new uniforms, for good reason. We're praising the Kraken's logos and uniforms because they look great, despite the name! I don't know where you're getting " :censored:ting on absolutely everything that every team ever does" simply because the board isn't a fan of the name, or things like the Rams new logos/uniforms.

The complaining about the negativity is far, far worse than the actual negativity.

3 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

These are really giving me Ducks vibes (especially the sleeves).

When you say "especially the sleeves", do you mean to say "only kinda sorta the sleeves and absolutely nothing else" ?

8 minutes ago, FSUViking said:

Grab a decafe, go for a walk, and calm down.

I should probably follow that advice more often. Especially the decaf part. 

The name is... different, although I expected they would be called the Kraken for a little while now. While kinda goofy, it matches that Seattle vibe. Opens up a lot of original, unique, and fun branding and ideas. 

Branding is absolutely gorgeous! Fantastic logo set, fun colors, good uniforms. It's all something fun, new, and refreshing that we've been missing in pro sports for awhile now. It catches your eye, which is what a new brand needs to do. Just fantastic all around!

The NHL has really been hitting it out of the park with new looks lately (Golden Knights, Maple Leafs, Panthers, etc). It might be the best looking pro sports league in North America.

And for those that think the name is too silly, well the Golden Knights was along those same lines, and their brand has aged pretty well in the short span its been around. The new brands we will see in pro sports will be more unique and creative in an age of short attention spans. To stand out, you must be different in one way or another if you don't have a solid traditional background. I expect the name and brand to be endearing for a long time.

Love the logo.  I just wish they'd gone with something besides all the blue.  There's already so much blue in the NHL.   I'll be curious to see what all the concept designers do with alternate color schemes to see what we COULD have had.  

Positives:

• fine - a lot of "fine" in this overall brand
  • anchor/space needle is clever
  • it could've been a lot worse

Negatives:

• Kraken is a stupid-ass name
  • really got brave by going almost entirely navy, what a ballsy design choice
  • the primary S tentacle with the random eye doesn't make much sense to me
  • this looks overall like a pretty solid Dribbble concept or a minor league squad

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The colors are awesome, the logos aren't awful...but the name. Good lord, they had to go with the exact kind of ECHL minor-league name that I didn't want them to go with and of course that's what they go with.

Click over to twitter and it'll explain exactly why they went with it.  It's number 3 trending in 38 minutes.  I expect it'll be #1 soon.  

They're getting what they want right off the bat.  #ReleaseTheKraken is short term gains.  It's a media darling in the sense all press is good press.  Sadly, I think it's going to fall of quickly.  This is an ECHL name, with an NHL logo.  I do wonder what we'll be looking at in 15 years in terms of their name.  

Everyone keeps saying “Trash name, great unis/branding” and I absolutely cannot understand how anyone feels that way. The name is the most garbage name in sports, but the unis and logo package are trash, too! They went with navy, (basically) powder blue, and red. That’s the most played out color scheme in sports! They look like a sad, knockoff version of the Winnipeg Jets, who already look like a sad, knockoff version of the Winnipeg Jets.

The only fitting thing about this whole identity is that represents EXACTLY what the NHL is. A complete and total clown show that deserves to never be taken seriously by anyone ever.

The name is weird, but the logo is fantastic.  The jerseys look good, but we'll find out how better they are once they add players and those players model the jerseys themselves.

Colours are 8/10

Jerseys 7/10 

Logo 7.5/10

Name 5/10

Better than Vegas, who themselves have a decent identity but one that lacks originality. Kraken I can live with but it’s still gimmicky, though I suppose the uniqueness will carry it for a while. It’s less ambiguous than Wild at least. 

3 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Logical%2BFallacy%2B01%2B-%2BStraw%2BMan.png

Yes I'm making a strawman by saying me not liking something makes me a curmudgeon. But you're completely logically sound by screeching and crying and saying anyone not liking a thing is just bitter.

Great job Seattle you chose the worst name possible! At least you made up for it  somewhat with the logo set I guess. This all might still work with Sockeyes though which is the most disappointing thing