The Case for Restoring the Proper Detroit Tigers Home Uniform

4 hours ago, Tigers35456884 said:

It's awfully frustrating how reluctant the Tigers appear to be when it comes to introducing alternate road uniforms, something other teams in the division have embraced to largely positive results. While the home uniform has always been sacred ground (up until 2018, that is), I've always viewed the road uniform as a platform for experimentation. I happen to be a big fan of the current road set, as it nicely blends the 1930s and 40s script with the 70s and 80s colors, but adding one of the 60s or 80s sets in the rotation permanently should've happened years ago.

A team that shows restraint in introducing alt uniforms deserves praise.  After all, no team needs an alt, least of all a traditional team.

And while the current road wordmark has the merit of harkening back to the script of the 1930s through 1950s, the road wordmark that was in use from the early 1970s to the early 1990s (as seen on Gibson and on the throwback jersey) is aesthetically superior by a wide margin.  Cursive feels wrong for that team.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

A team that shows restraint in introducing alt uniforms deserves praise.  After all, no team needs an alt, least of all a traditional team.

Of course, that’s what makes their decision to alter a home uniform design worn every season except one between 1934 and 2017 so baffling 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry, but I think they look better with the logos matching. "It’s what they’ve always done" isn’t a very good reason to continue using branding that doesn’t make sense.

Take my own Cardinals as an example. I started following them in my early childhood in the early 90s. By then, they were 30 or so years into a branding that even though it looked okay and there was nothing glaringly wrong with it, it did use no less than 3 different drawings of a cardinal in the same set. (The primary, the Sluggerbird, and the jersey wordmark.) When they updated their brand in '97, most of us, myself included, agreed that it was an upgrade.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Interestingly, in recent months the Tigers have solicited feedback for throwback uniforms, as noted here: https://uni-watch.com/2021/09/22/exclusive-tigers-focus-grouping-new-throwbacks/?fbclid=IwAR0EH53ViU5UXcKgPfjL_2xucGO6r99bDdr2I4N6w5YuF9_CB6uTlxtwXoY

Also, they've begun selling a new Nike Cooperstown Collection Al Kaline 'shirsey' with the classic Old English D adorning the chest. Hopefully this is a sign of the logo's eventual return to the team's home uniform: 

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 4 months later...