Indoor/Arena Football Changes

agentrygraphics

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not getting the criticism of this logo.  To me it instantly evokes the thing that it is referring to, without copying that thing exactly.  It is a fine interpretation, done in a style that incorporates just enough fierceness, though not an excessive amount.  The more I look at it, the more I like it. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I am not getting the criticism of this logo.  To me it instantly evokes the thing that it is referring to, without copying that thing exactly.  It is a fine interpretation, done in a style that incorporates just enough fierceness, though not an excessive amount.  The more I look at it, the more I like it. 

I agree. I just wish the lines and everything looked smoother. Right now it seems kind of jagged and a bit pixelated. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It evokes the right things, but it’s a truly awful drawing. The art from a playing card shows depth, nuance of form, graphic simplicity, etc. This honestly looks like it was drawn by someone who doesn’t know that you can use Bézier handles to create curves in drawing software. It shows a complete lack of understanding the principles of visual design and the tools used to create it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

That is the biggest, Nike (not so)Swoosh(-iest) eyebrow I've ever seen. And are those supposed to be bags under his eyes or eyeblack? If the face were done a little better, everything else, as is, would be elevated. Although the point of the back of the hair going beyond the wordmark causing the grey keyline to jet out is awkward and unappealing. Plus, did they really need to put the suits of the cards like that? Looks like it was just thrown in there to fill space.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

It evokes the right things, but it’s a truly awful drawing. The art from a playing card shows depth, nuance of form, graphic simplicity, etc. This honestly looks like it was drawn by someone who doesn’t know that you can use Bézier handles to create curves in drawing software. It shows a complete lack of understanding the principles of visual design and the tools used to create it.

The use of sharp angles is more easily explained as a perfectly valid artistic choice. 

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The use of sharp angles is more easily explained as a perfectly valid artistic choice. 

It’s not the style that’s the issue. It’s the fact that whoever illustrated this has no idea what the proportions of a human head are or how to do a “playing card” inspired logo in a “sports logo” style.

Take this @sparky chewbarky concept for example. Immediately, you can tell that this logo is inspired by a playing card, but you can also see that this that SC has a firm grasp of what he’s trying to do. The outline weights are monoline and consistent (just like a playing card), some features are exaggerated but the general proportions of the head are correct, and the composition of the entire logo is strong.

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Of course it’s a valid artistic choice, but I think that implies that there’s a good reason behind it. Here’s what they have to say:

“The dynamic angles in the logo represent a hard-set determination and attitude meant to intimidate anyone who dares to oppose. The logo portrays the team’s identity and the Embodiment of a tough city with an independent streak looking to dominate the AFL with grit and confidence.”

That’s pretty conceptually bare if you ask me (not to mention cringe-inducing to anyone who writes copy).

Also, if the angular style is such an important artistic choice, wouldn’t a good designer have illustrated the rest of the card in the same style rather than haphazardly pasting this polygonal head on top of a richly detailed, curvaceous and ornamental illustration of a suit card? I mean, look at the keyline around the head in the bottom section! It literally looks pasted on top of a traditional playing card with no attempt made to integrate it into the illustration (and those hearts!).

spacer.png

That’s beside the point, though. The angular design language isn’t the problem; it’s the execution. Simplified, geometric illustration is having a moment, and there are people absolutely nailing that style, so I know for a fact this could have been stunning. Instead, it fell completely flat (pun intended).

spacer.png

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

@andrewharrington, is that playing card design you posted available as an actual deck?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

9 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

@andrewharrington, is that playing card design you posted available as an actual deck?

Yeah, but I think it’s only available as part of this kit with the stamp set and instructions detailing how to perform the tricks:

USPS “The Art of Magic.”

6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Also, if the angular style is such an important artistic choice, wouldn’t a good designer have illustrated the rest of the card in the same style rather than haphazardly pasting this polygonal head on top of a richly detailed, curvaceous and ornamental illustration of a suit card? I mean, look at the keyline around the head in the bottom section! It literally looks pasted on top of a traditional playing card with no attempt made to integrate it into the illustration ....

That is a good point; I do see that flaw. The outlines on the rest of the card and on the heart should be as thick as the lines in the head logo.

6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

(and those hearts!)

If you are implying that there is something wrong with the shape of the heart, then I will disagree. That's how a heart looks in the graphical universe of this logo.

I'm not a fan of the style used. The line weights, although apropos for face cards, are too thin for a sports logo.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived