QCS

QCS' MLB Concepts (I guess this is a series now? Cleveland Spiders added 8/14)

Recommended Posts

This is a good looking set! The update is an immense improvement, as the original yellow was just too “neon,” in my opinion. As for the logos you presented, I like the honeycomb option and the roundel without the stitches. The lightest maroon would also make for a good set, especially if you transferred this to be a “Salt Lake Bees” identity, which I think could work pretty well.

 

I’d be interested to see you try to take on MLB, or even just the Cleveland Spiders!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I like the lightest maroon, the WTF maroon I think would be unique across all major sports. Also you could try to say it’s a mix of Duke, UNC, and NC State if you were attempting some Nike-speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest version of the roundel is definitely your best looking! The lightest shade of maroon is the right way to go here too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teeray01 said:

Cleveland Spiders would be cool.  I'm originally from North Central Ohio which is Cleveland territory for the MLB, NFL and NBA and Columbus for the NHL and MLS. There is a lot of talk about the Indians rebranding.  Would love to see your take on the rebrand.  Good work so far!  I like the black version, but I like the lightest burgundy version the best.

 

Oh, neat! I'm all in favor of a Cleveland rebrand, but if I were to do a concept, be prepared for a change of colors! My ideal Cleveland scheme would be purple, red, and cream, which feels like an appropriate deviation from navy/red/white while also being nicely vintage. I've got some ideas floating in my head for it, we'll see how things get with school starting soon-ish and my passion for making Charlotte teams faaaaaaar surpassing my ability to properly put creative energy into other cities. I agree, I think my favorite is the black version, but the light maroon makes it unique in all of the Big 5 (only three teams use burgundy [Avalanche, Rapids, WFT] and the emphasis on yellow instead of maroon makes it different from the Football Team).

 

41 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

This is a good looking set! The update is an immense improvement, as the original yellow was just too “neon,” in my opinion. As for the logos you presented, I like the honeycomb option and the roundel without the stitches. The lightest maroon would also make for a good set, especially if you transferred this to be a “Salt Lake Bees” identity, which I think could work pretty well.

 

I’d be interested to see you try to take on MLB, or even just the Cleveland Spiders!

 

Thank you! I agree, the original yellow is appropriately described best as "highlighter". I'll keep it around for the fauxback, since it feels very nicely bright and obnoxious for the era I'm trying to sort of parody, but it's far gone for the main set. I like the honeycomb as well, and I might try a version of it with the new size of the circles, but the simplicity of not having it is nice, it helps legibility on the jerseys and I don't really use the honeycombs anywhere else, making them feel disconnected from the set. Pretty much anything I do here could work for the Bees, although they might use black instead of maroon since bees aren't really black. I'm thinking I'll darken it a tad and go from there. As for the MLB, I might, the positive response to this has been so nice. I probably wouldn't do a 30-team series, it might just be a few "alternate" takes on certain teams. If I do continue, the Spiders will be next, and I might continue from there. 

 

35 minutes ago, kb105 said:

While I like the lightest maroon, the WTF maroon I think would be unique across all major sports. Also you could try to say it’s a mix of Duke, UNC, and NC State if you were attempting some Nike-speak.

 

Thanks! I actually disagree, the WFT burgundy wouldn't be unique while the maroon would. Three teams use burgundy, as I mentioned, while none actually use maroon. I also like the way the gold plays with the lightest maroon, it has a tiny bit of clash that interests me. 

 

3 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

The latest version of the roundel is definitely your best looking! The lightest shade of maroon is the right way to go here too. 

 

Thank you! I agree, this roundel is definitely the best-looking. I'm thinking I'll touch up the maroon slightly and get the entire set up soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lightest version on the Maroon for sure, (not WFT).  I love the evolution of this set.  The identity would be unique and certainly have it's very own place in the MLB. I love the maroon alternate and how the new gold lettering looks on the home and road.  I'm really happy with that, because I did not want you to deviate from yellow lettering on those sets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SEANL said:

The lightest version on the Maroon for sure, (not WFT).  I love the evolution of this set.  The identity would be unique and certainly have it's very own place in the MLB. I love the maroon alternate and how the new gold lettering looks on the home and road.  I'm really happy with that, because I did not want you to deviate from yellow lettering on those sets. 

 

Thank you! I agree, the gold lettering on the home and road look great, it's certainly something different. The only team I can think of that uses colors like these is the University of Minnesota, but again my emphasis on gold over maroon saves me here. Their maroon is also closer to burgundy than mine is, further separating the two. 

 

2 hours ago, jbird669 said:

I love this!

 

Thank you!

 

Alright, here it is! The full set with maroon. Nothing but the colors was tweaked, and the fauxbacks remains banana yellow and black.

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Thank you to everyone who helped me improve this set, I think it's something that could actually be in the majors. I'm thinking I'll tackle a few more teams, so stay tuned for those in future. In fact, I'll even give you a little preview, maybe you can figure out what teams I'll be tackling! 

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, heavybass said:

Please let the Pink and Black one be Flamingos!

 

;)

 

1 hour ago, teeray01 said:

Awesome final update. I hope to see more from you.  Great job!

 

Don't worry, you will! I'm glad you like the Hornets, this support is giving me motivation to continue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, QCS said:
23 hours ago, heavybass said:

Please let the Pink and Black one be Flamingos!

 

;)

 

 

parks and rec what GIF

 

 

I love the end product - this was a lot of fun and can't wait to see what's next!  I would love to see this set in the MLB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SEANL said:

 

 

[Chris Pratt pogchamp]

 

 

I love the end product - this was a lot of fun and can't wait to see what's next!  I would love to see this set in the MLB.

Thank you! You won't wait long for what's next: it's right here!

 

The Cleveland baseball team is one of my least favorite identities, not just because of the Rule 4 stuff, but because they feature a bland color scheme, bland jerseys, and bland alts. Well, no more! Cleveland trades their old-fashioned and outdated brand for a new one built on history and vintage appreciation. Presenting the Cleveland Spiders!

spacer.png

 

I had said before my preferred Cleveland color scheme is purple, red, and cream, and this is why. It feels like an appropriate spin on navy, red, and white, which Cleveland has been using for decades. What's also been around for decades is the black C, which remains, but with a new finish. A purple spider web is placed inside the C, connecting the brand from the past to the present. I'm not the first to place a web in the C nor will I be the last, but it's far too good of a mark to pass up on using. The secondary is a basic spider that looks like it could've been made by the guys who did the original Tigers cap (seen here) while sticking with the team for a century. I was inspired by classic Spider-Man symbols, which are very simple versions of a spider that felt like they could well as logos for the team (of course I didn't copy any, the spider is original). Because I actually like how Chief Wahoo was used on Cleveland's old sets, the spider serves that purpose here. The tertiary is the primary recolored to work on a red background.

 

spacer.png

 

The home and road are near exact copies of their current look with a couple big changes. The first, obviously, is the new base color for the home as well as the new block font, it felt appropriately wispy and thin to work for the Spiders. The spider finds himself on the home cap and the sleeves of both jerseys. The text and logo are all red with a purple outline, as purple outline in red didn't look great on the road. The new road cap features a red bill because it looks better and the new primary, while the striping is a simple purple line. The collar is also purple, though it's hard to see. The road features different socks with a simple two-block pattern. 

 

spacer.png

 

The alts are very simple colorswaps of the home and road. Both use the road cap, and the red alt uses the road socks as well. 

 

spacer.png

 

Finally, we have the home alt and road showcasing the red alternate cap, to be used occasionally or against navy-dominant opponents. It looked really good with the road socks, which is why I selected these two jerseys. 

 

There you have it! My take on the Spiders. I think with some very slight tweaking, Cleveland's identity can go from the worst in MLB to one of the best and one that appeals to traditionalists and young fans alike. What do you think? C&C Appreciated!

 

As a slight aside, I googled "Cleveland Spiders Concept" to help avoid what others have done, and I came across my own Charlotte Hornets concept pretty far down the page!

spacer.png

"Look Gary, there I am!"

 

I assume it's because I discussed doing the Spiders earlier, so Google picked that up. Either way, it's cool to see!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The primary logo "C" looks great!  I'm not a fan of the wispy thin font though. Maybe try a a script font on the home sets.  Ballpark is a nice font.  Would be interesting to see if the "C" would work over the bottom of the secondary spider logo.  Or maybe keep it simple and remove the outline.  I actually think the colors work.  I was unsure about that.  Nice Job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely need to change up the font on the red jersey.  Maybe a cream block font or something. Otherwise looks good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have an issue with the current Cleveland brand now that Wahoo was retired, however if they insist on rebranding, I think bringing back the Spiders name is a solid idea.  I don't like the web within the "C" and prefer the current one.  I think the web interior would look poor when embroidered on a cap.   I like the spider primary/secondary.  Kinda has a Marvel Comics feel.  The thin letters kinda work for the CLEVELAND away, but I think something else has to be done for the home unis.  Maybe use the spider on the right breast instead of SPIDERS across it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 7:52 AM, teeray01 said:

The primary logo "C" looks great!  I'm not a fan of the wispy thin font though. Maybe try a a script font on the home sets.  Ballpark is a nice font.  Would be interesting to see if the "C" would work over the bottom of the secondary spider logo.  Or maybe keep it simple and remove the outline.  I actually think the colors work.  I was unsure about that.  Nice Job!

 

On 8/15/2020 at 10:58 AM, mvk said:

Definitely need to change up the font on the red jersey.  Maybe a cream block font or something. Otherwise looks good.

 

12 minutes ago, SNBSlugger said:

I don't have an issue with the current Cleveland brand now that Wahoo was retired, however if they insist on rebranding, I think bringing back the Spiders name is a solid idea.  I don't like the web within the "C" and prefer the current one.  I think the web interior would look poor when embroidered on a cap.   I like the spider primary/secondary.  Kinda has a Marvel Comics feel.  The thin letters kinda work for the CLEVELAND away, but I think something else has to be done for the home unis.  Maybe use the spider on the right breast instead of SPIDERS across it.

 

Thanks, guys! Sorry about the lack of updates, life's starting to get in the way. I agree, the home font is far too thin to work well, I'll try and find a suitable replacement. I tried placing the spider on the web C and didn't like it much, maybe I'll try it again. As for the cap, I actually think it'll be fine, teams have had more detailed logos on caps (see: realistic O's) and they turned out fine. I'll be keeping it around. I'm not sure when I'll get to that update, hopefully soon. I've got a couple other teams in the works as well, they'll be shown when they're finished. Thanks for your patience, everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.