Buffalo Sabres Return to Royal, Unveil New Logo and Uniforms

Echo

After looking at more pictures...the new white stripes on the blue jersey do look good with the numbers that are outlined in white...but I still think the 70s-90s version looks better. It harkens back to ubiquitous comments on here that less is often better. The new socks seem unnecessarily busy. 

I can't wait for Fanatics/NHL Shop to get these in April and sell out in minutes because they ordered so few. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this is so very, very good.

I agree that the white is unnecessary on the homes.  Worse, it interferes with the interaction between royal and gold.  I love the names, unburdened with the white outline.  Without any white to blur the line and clutter the design, the two colors play off each other gloriously.

cut.png

I know that teams feel the need to add a number outline to make the jerseys look less "cheap" or some such nonsense, but in this case gold numbers by themselves would have been so much stronger.

2 hours ago, charger77 said:

Vast improvement. Don't understand the need for the white trim on the home jerseys. 

I feel like they do this stuff to differentiate just enough from prior iterations so superfans feel compelled to buy it.

In other words:

0.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Wow, this is so very, very good.

I agree that the white is unnecessary on the homes.  Worse, it interferes with the interaction between royal and gold.  I love the names, unburdened with the white outline.  Without any white to blur the line and clutter the design, the two colors play off each other gloriously.

cut.png

I know that teams feel the need to add a number outline to make the jerseys look less "cheap" or some such nonsense, but in this case gold numbers by themselves would have been so much stronger.

I agree with this. The white serves no real purpose other than to differentiate itself with previous iterations. The blue and gold contrast with each other perfectly and is what makes that colour scheme so strong. White only blurs that edge and gets in the way a bit. I can sort of see how the inclusion of white in the striping could be justified by saying that it unifies the white in the logo with the rest of the jersey but.. that's not really essential and I think it might slightly hinder it more than it aids it.

In saying that, I won't be losing any sleep over it.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

29 minutes ago, Bayne said:

I agree with this. The white serves no real purpose other than to differentiate itself with previous iterations. The blue and gold contrast with each other perfectly and is what makes that colour scheme so strong. White only blurs that edge and gets in the way a bit. I can sort of see how the inclusion of white in the striping could be justified by saying that it unifies the white in the logo with the rest of the jersey but.. that's not really essential and I think it might slightly hinder it more than it aids it.

In saying that, I won't be losing any sleep over it.

Yeah, this is what keeps the A design from being an A+.  Everything else is magnificent.

Buffalonian, Sabres fan, wannabe designer, etc, etc. - I’m disappointed.

Of course, to whatever degree, this is all subjective & a matter of taste... carrying over the 50th crest texture is the star of the show, but considering all they really had to do was slightly tweak their old uniforms, when you isolate that task, they took it in several poor directions. The white striping on the blue jersey is indefensible & every bit as clumsy as the weird silver piping we finally just ditched. Considering how minimalist this design is in the first place, that (subjective) misstep stands out like a sore thumb. I can't stand "change-for-change’s-sake” design in sports. I miss the shoulder logos from the original, but I understand dropping them, I guess.

The mismatched striping pattern on the whites still bothers me, too. The team supposedly wanted to “modernize” this set, yet kept this clumsy design detail that serves no aesthetic purpose beyond copying the original style (why fans value inconsistent striping for the sake of “tradition” is an entirely separate soap box). If the goal was to bring the OG set into the 2020's, correcting the mismatched striping would have been a far more economic & logical move vs. just clumsily throwing thin white stripes into the sleeves of the home jerseys that already had ample contrast.

I know it all seems nit-picky, but when so much of the work was already done in the past, when you look at what this team actually created that was “new” (and what they left on the table in the process), I’m not thrilled. The Winter Classic jersey was a much more respectable push into a clean modern design that honored the original set. Then again, for almost the past two decades, there isn’t a facet of this organization that can get out of its own way.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I know that teams feel the need to add a number outline...

Their older jerseys already had the outline.

80s-buf-lw-dave-andreychuk.jpg

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

19 minutes ago, ebod39 said:

The royal jersey includes white-outlined gold numbers and no striping on the shoulders. There's also no yellow on the collar and the royal used on the uniform resembles that used by the original jersey in 1970. However, the first prototype presented to the Pegulas had three gold and two royal stripes on each arm and the waist, much like the original royal blue jersey, but this led to the white crest “dominating a sea of royal and gold,” said Cravotta.

With not enough time to work with Adidas on alterations, Cravotta, Durbin and Raccuia began to cut strips of white felt and placed them on top of the jersey in search of a solution. After a few days of working sessions in the PSE and Adpro Sports offices, the group decided on two thin, white piping between the gold and royal stripes on the arms and waist.

RhmOMvO.gif

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

I disagree with this; I think it's the application of white that's been messed up. Making sure both jerseys have a consistent striping pattern (something like y/w/y on the home and b/y/b on the road) would've been a nice upgrade on an already fantastic set. As it is, it feels like they're clinging to some design elements from the navy uniforms that really shouldn't have been clung to.

Single-color numbers only really work for teams with a very limited color selection in my opinion; your Torontos, Detroits and such.

15 minutes ago, -kj said:

Their older jerseys already had the outline.

80s-buf-lw-dave-andreychuk.jpg

Yeah, I get that.  But why did they add it then?  And the Sabres obviously didn't feel the need to just bring those jerseys back, since they changed the striping and the shoulder patches. 

So the point stands; teams (not just Buffalo but other teams) seem compelled to add number outlines, even when those number outlines are just pointless clutter.  

Archived