Buffalo Sabres Return to Royal, Unveil New Logo and Uniforms

Echo

3 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I feel like just copying the away pattern and making it white/gold/white on the homes may have been a possible option, honestly. I think that if they wanted the white trim, they should've trimmed both sides of the striping with white; just the inside makes it look a little weird.

Yeah! Probably would have been too far from the classic look for them, but I think that would have looked nice. I do agree that the placement of the white stripes feels a bit unnatural. I think it accomplishes what it intended to (visually), but it still feels like an odd stripe pattern to me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get where they are coming from and what they are going for with the hangar effect, but they kind of combined the logos of two other NHL teams.

Chalk this up in the TIL column, this is the first time I have ever noticed the mismatching stripes on the white jerseys. I had to look on the mothership and then searched up the May Day goal to confirm. I have never noticed that before.

IEI5Tg1.png

Are they better than the turdburgers?

Absolutely

Are they better than the Reebok holdovers?

Absolutely

Are they better than the buffaslug?

Absolutely

Are they better than the goathead?

Absolutely

Are they better than the originals?

I guess?

Will I rush out to buy one?

Nope

To me, the Sabres are strictly upstate NY's team. They'll never get national attention. Kids won't want their jerseys like 90s kids wanted Mighty Ducks jerseys back in the day, or how every beer league team (at least at my rink) wants to look like the Vegas Knights, nor will they outsell the Kraken once they drop. But hey, good on them for going back to a look that is familiar and beloved by their fanbase. Better off pleasing your fanbase than trying to be 🔥🔥🔥 and for that I applaud the Sabres. 

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

After some initial attempts to modernize the classics to a greater degree, it became clear the club’s intent was to bring them back ostensibly as they were (plus the improved crest, obviously), so it’s not accurate to say they added white just to make them “different” from the originals. I mean, they would have also changed the white version if that was the strategy. Note: that wasn’t directed to either of you; I’ve just seen that unfounded critique pop up a few times already.

It was purely a design issue for them. After seeing their sample of the classic design, they felt (like I always have) that the concentration of white in the crest was too dominant within a uniform that’s almost completely blue and gold. To make the crest less dominant, you essentially have to find a way to make something else more dominant to better balance the the crest (solid gold numbers wouldn’t have solved that problem for them, but [in my opinion] solid white numbers would have).

Obviously, they instead chose to make the striping more vibrant by adding the white trim, and while it’s not the path I would have taken, I don’t think it’s fair to say it “serves no real purpose,” either, because it clearly does, bringing design cues from the numbers, which were previously a bit of an an outlier, into the rest of the uniform.

It’s not what I would call “perfect,” but I do think it’s an improvement that brings more cohesion to the uniform. If I was the one wielding the approval pen, I think I would have taken just one or two more steps to complete the transformation from “pure vintage” to “contemporary classic.” I think this set currently sits somewhere in the middle.

That's all very interesting. I guess my accusation that they added white to the striping simply to differentiate it from other jerseys of the same design wasn't really fair. Although I still stand by my opinion that royal blue and gold does not require white separation and I think Buffalo have demonstarted that very well in some of their throwback jerseys. They really kind of own that look IMO. The move to introduce white into the stripping feels like they've overthought it and muddied it up a bit. However, I do understand the idea wanting to create a bit more cohesion throughout the jersey and that to me is something that I would have considered, so I get it. The Buffalo logo is pretty white heavy and not having any white anywhere else on the jersey could be seen as looking a bit odd. I feel that the blue and gold contrast is still strong enough that you can get away with it and allow the logo to be the standout, but I'm not against the use of white in the jersey to balance it out either. My concern I guess is, did they utilise the white colour correctly. I'm not sure.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

2 hours ago, Bayne said:

My concern I guess is, did they utilise the white colour correctly. I'm not sure.

This is where I’m at. I completely get why they wanted to add white striping. I don’t think it’s totally necessary, but I get it. It does create a weird striping pattern. I do like that they didn’t make the outer yellow stripes thinner to compensate like the previous unis did with the thin silver thin outer stripe look.

Could’ve done white numbers, but when the Blues left their yellow numbers for white it was a misstep to me. Also like I previously said the Sabres font is too thin to me to not have an outline. Non-outline numbers also feel less “cheap” when it’s more bespoke than what the Sabres use. Personally I like single color numerals and nameplates and think the Stars, for example, look great. The Canucks use of Agency less so. And it seems like keeping the classic Sabres numerals was somewhat of a priority.

But I mean overall here we’re talking about great work and an incredible upgrade.

12 hours ago, ebod39 said:

It was Netherlands 

13 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Whoever wrote that certainly meant “the textured lion logo for the Dutch national team,” but hey... that’s journalism these days. 😂

Holland, Poland how I couldn't catch that. :D Anyway it's interesting that they used nike jersey as an example.

4r2eer.png

13 hours ago, Olmec said:

To me, the Sabres are strictly upstate NY's team. They'll never get national attention. Kids won't want their jerseys like 90s kids wanted Mighty Ducks jerseys back in the day, or how every beer league team (at least at my rink) wants to look like the Vegas Knights, nor will they outsell the Kraken once they drop. But hey, good on them for going back to a look that is familiar and beloved by their fanbase. Better off pleasing your fanbase than trying to be 🔥🔥🔥 and for that I applaud the Sabres. 

Casual fans will care for them when they'll stop being losers and do something with management (like firing them). Casual fans won't care about a losing team, even with gorgeous jerseys like these

14 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I feel like just copying the away pattern and making it white/gold/white on the homes may have been a possible option, honestly.

It looks like it was an option.

mS7aqAT.png

Using the pattern on the pants might be too much.

9KrT4Ts.png

Using something similar to the original pants stripe might work.

yKsqF3b.png

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

2 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

Casual fans will care for them when they'll stop being losers and do something with management (like firing them). Casual fans won't care about a losing team, even with gorgeous jerseys like these

In the last 8 years they've gone through 4 GMs and 6 head coaches, so I think they've worn out that option. Pretty tough to establish a winning culture when major pieces of the organization aren't given any sort of leash.

41 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

It looks like it was an option.

mS7aqAT.png

Using the pattern on the pants might be too much.

9KrT4Ts.png

Using something similar to the original pants stripe might work.

yKsqF3b.png

Pretty much Edmonton but yellow. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I really like this update. The detailing of the hair on the Buffalo is a fantastic little detail, and makes the look that much better. I was unsure of the white in the blue sweaters striping, but looking at it, they made the right choice.

In pictures of the process there is a mock-up of the blue jersey with the classic pattern, next to one with the final version, and at such a small application, (almost similar to how it’ll look once it’s on the ice,) the white was a great addition. It also matches well with the thin outlines on the numbers and the white in the crest. Without the white, it would/has run into the problem of not having any white while having a tiny amount on small elements, like the number outlines, breezer trim, and the logos... Now it finally matches, and then balances a little better with the road jersey. 

The road jersey is also absolutely fantastic! Yeah I know the tail stripes are backwards, but honestly that really works for me. It somehow balances the color out really nicely, and makes the Sabres, a Blue & Gold team with white trim, rather than a Blue team with gold and white trim... (If that makes any sense)

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, Survival79 said:

Yeah, it started to feel way too familiar.

ytUmYDp.png

But that was just how hockey sweaters were for a while.  I don't hold it against any team - I highly doubt these things were even thought of much back then.  I'm guessing it was closer to something where someone from the team was shown a catalog, picked "sweater B", and then just selected options like "colored yoke +$10, single-color stripe +$5, multi-color stripe +$10", etc.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

54 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

But that was just how hockey sweaters were for a while.  I don't hold it against any team - I highly doubt these things were even thought of much back then.  I'm guessing it was closer to something where someone from the team was shown a catalog, picked "sweater B", and then just selected options like "colored yoke +$10, single-color stripe +$5, multi-color stripe +$10", etc.  

Well at the time, Buffalo had intentionally made their uniforms to be similar to the Leafs, but with gold because they were “better” or some nike talk like that... They original white jersey in some of the first photos didn’t even have gold, because it was a Leafs jersey with the Sabres logo slapped on...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The thing that really bugs me is the Adidas logo in white.  Ruins the whole look.

The white stripes are fine.  I don't think they are necessary, but their inclusion isn't the end of the world, either.  More than the logo, the white stripes help in justifying the white outline on the numbers.

In true Buffalo fashion they get one thing beyond perfect (the crest) only to fumble the next most important aspect in the striping.

There may be a historical reason for the mismatched striping on the road jersey but lets face it, it would look better if it was consistent.  Even the designers of the previous set had the sense to fix this problem.

As for the addition of the white piping to the home, it's the most Buffalo thing they could have done.  It does absolutely nothing but muddle up an otherwise perfect design for no reason.

Archived