Simon Fraser University Drops Clan Nickname

Simon Fraser University Drops Clan Nickname

August 13, 2020 - 08:57 AM

Facing pressure from students and the local community, Simon Fraser University announced on Wednesday it is retiring its nickname, the Clan, effective immediately. “As a university, our number one duty is to foster a supportive environment for our students,” university president and vice chancellor Andrew Petter said in a statement.

Read More...

Seems a little silly to me that Clan spelled with a "C" would be confused with the KKK, but if there are actually people who have been confused by it then good call. 

The already suggested Scots and Highlanders would be great. Gaels seems to work for a number of colleges. Could take from NFL Europe and go with Claymores (always thought that was an awesome name). Other Scottish related nicknames could be Thistles, Guardians (less overt, but a reference to the Scottish "guardian thistle"), or Tartans.

• Like 10

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

1 hour ago, Maroon said:

Seems a little silly to me that Clan spelled with a "C" would be confused with the KKK, but if there are actually people who have been confused by it then good call. 

The already suggested Scots and Highlanders would be great. Gaels seems to work for a number of colleges. Could take from NFL Europe and go with Claymores (always thought that was an awesome name). Other Scottish related nicknames could be Thistles, Guardians (less overt, but a reference to the Scottish "guardian thistle"), or Tartans.

I'm no English major, but i think they're pronounced the same. 

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1

29 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

I'm no English major, but i think they're pronounced the same. 

Right. But the word "Clan" is and has always meant something different than the KKK to many other cultures and people. It's not as if actual Scottish clans need to start reconsidering what they refer to themselves as because another group used a similar sounding word. The use of "Klan" by the KKK does not make all actual clans in this world affiliated or associated with the KKK.

But, again, if enough people were getting confused then it was a good call to change the name.

• Like 3

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

46 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Lol wtf?

Try reading it again.  I suspect you might understand the words at some point.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

2 hours ago, Maroon said:

Right. But the word "Clan" is and has always meant something different than the KKK to many other cultures and people. It's not as if actual Scottish clans need to start reconsidering what they refer to themselves as because another group used a similar sounding word. The use of "Klan" by the KKK does not make all actual clans in this world affiliated or associated with the KKK.

But, again, if enough people were getting confused then it was a good call to change the name.

You could say the same about swastikas, but I think that any western team using one for a logo would have felt the need to change.

• Like 6
  • Yawn 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."