Oldschoolvikings' MLB concepts... Tampa Bay Rays added

oldschoolvikings

Great concepts.  And imagine that, ACTUAL concepts.  Not the same old same old.  The template looks like a woman to me, but it is 2020 so that's, ok.    But that does not take away from the creativity on the alt uniforms.

RED and BROWN need to go together more often, VERY underrated color scheme.  Brown (University) Bears pull it off great by adding silver.  

Keep it up and stretch that envelope.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I haven't added anything to this thread in a while because I kind of felt like I'd run out of teams to do. I did the entire MLB except for the Yankees, Mets, Padres, and Brewers. I skipped the Padres and Brewers because when I was working on these they had both just changed to new uniforms that I generally really liked. I skipped the Yankees because... they're the Yankees. What kind of updated concept is anybody going to give the Yankees?  And I don't know why I skipped the Mets.  So anyway, I'm back to finish off those teams, just to complete all the majors.

Starting with the Mets...

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So, anyway, Here's the Yankees.  It's true that the whole idea of "updating" the Yankees seems pretty dumb, but then I thought since I'd already done the Tigers, Cardinals, and Dodgers, why should the Yankees be any different. Plus it gives me the opportunity to remove the pointless white trim off the road uniform, giving them a look that literally no other team could get away with. The all-navy is just a lark... sue me.

spacer.png

• Like 6

OK, so here are the Brewers and Padres, which finishes off the entire MLB. I actually feel like both of these teams made major upgrades when they changed last year, but both dropped the ball a bit and the same ways. The navy the Brewers went with is inferior to royal blue, for them anyway. And the Padres brown is nice, but still a little darker/duller than I would've used... it's like they're still just a bit embarrassed by the fact that they're wearing brown.

spacer.png

• Like 12

If it were me, I'd remove the orange, since it doesn't show up anywhere but the numbers. Making them single-color brown or brown with a gold stroke would be the way to go in my opinion.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

The Padres look good! I would incorporate orange into the pinstriped road set, since it shows on the other three designs. 

1 hour ago, QCS said:

If it were me, I'd remove the orange, since it doesn't show up anywhere but the numbers. Making them single-color brown or brown with a gold stroke would be the way to go in my opinion.

Most of the people that have seen this aren't too sure about the orange, but I'm stubborn about it. I always liked the brown/yellow/orange color scheme for the Padres, but I lean more towards the brown/gold. My solution was to go with a LA Dodger-like front number. That's the only place red shows up on the Dodgers' uniform, and I love it there too.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

OK, so here are the Brewers and Padres, which finishes off the entire MLB. I actually feel like both of these teams made major upgrades when they changed last year, but both dropped the ball a bit and the same ways. The navy the Brewers went with is inferior to royal blue, for them anyway. And the Padres brown is nice, but still a little darker/duller than I would've used... it's like they're still just a bit embarrassed by the fact that they're wearing brown.

spacer.png

No complaints on the home and road. But for sone reason, the glove on the home alt and the state outline on the road alt feels more "intuitive" to me. Perhaps because I don't think Barrel Man's head makes a very good logo on its own. But maybe that's me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

No complaints on the home and road. But for sone reason, the glove on the home alt and the state outline on the road alt feels more "intuitive" to me. Perhaps because I don't think Barrel Man's head makes a very good logo on its own. But maybe that's me.

I originally went with the full body Barrel Man there (I love that logo) but all the small details got swallowed up in the pinstripes. You might be right, I should just flipflop the two logos.

Interesting approach on the scripts, I've long advocated a fresh new approach for the Mariners, but why is there a recolored holdover from 1977 on the caps? Is there a better shade of green than kelly green for them? I don't think a grassy green is the right base color for them.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just now, the admiral said:

Interesting approach on the scripts, I've long advocated a fresh new approach for the Mariners, but why is there a recolored holdover from 1977 on the caps? Is there a better shade of green than kelly green for them? I don't think a grassy green is the right base color for them.

I was looking for something simple on the cap, and that seemed to fit the bill (hey, that's an unintentional pun!). I think you're right that it doesn't really match the scripts... maybe I'll revisit it.  It did give me an excuse for that powder blue fauxback, however. As for the kelly green and Royal blue... yeah, kelly isn't especially sea-like, but I'm just a huge mark for that color scheme, and will use any excuse to drag it out.