PHXAZGFX

I'm working on a complete redesign of the Phoenix Suns and looking for feedback on this logo. I have a complete uniform set nearly done that I will share soon, but wanted to start here. I also have this in a non-gradient version with the ball solid orange. The colors are new, slightly different from past hues of purple, orange and red the team has used before. I really want to give the team a bold, new look that is inspired by the past and has a retro vibe without simply refreshing designs of the past. I've been guilty of doing that myself as a uniform designer and I have a Suns redesign contest in the works that will require entrants to bring new ideas to the table, which inspired me to try some new things with this set I'm working on.

Would love to get your thoughts on what works, what doesn't, etc. I've shared this with some trusted friends and mentors, including Brandon Moore, and everyone seems to love it so far but I'm open to suggestions because I really want this to be perfect. Look forward to hearing from the community and sharing the rest of this project. My previous Suns concepts have done pretty well within the Suns community so I expect this will get some decent buzz when I release the whole thing.

spacer.png

What works: The colors pop! The gradient is a good additions. The SUNS font really works!

What doesn't: The Phoenix font looks too bland, even for a retro type. There has to be SOME solar flare somewhere on the logo. Either a flat Compass-style sun design behind the ball, or at least somewhere around or inside the SUNS part.

But this is a great step forward! Keep up the great work!

14 minutes ago, HurQlez said:

What works: The colors pop! The gradient is a good additions. The SUNS font really works!

What doesn't: The Phoenix font looks too bland, even for a retro type. There has to be SOME solar flare somewhere on the logo. Either a flat Compass-style sun design behind the ball, or at least somewhere around or inside the SUNS part.

But this is a great step forward! Keep up the great work!

I definitely have the sunburst in mind and will keep playing with it, just don't want to mimic the past logos too much. Already have the same ball for the most part so want to try and avoid anything else being too similar. Thanks for the suggestions!

Agreed with the other user here. Colors look great and even the gradient looks nice, but it is WAY too bland for a team called the Suns. Nothing about this image invokes the team name and really just feels like the Knicks primary logo with the triangle removed and the text moved to the center of the ball. I feel you might need several adjustments to make the logo stand out more and feel more "Suns-y".

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

On 8/18/2020 at 9:38 PM, PHXAZGFX said:

I'm working on a complete redesign of the Phoenix Suns and looking for feedback on this logo. I have a complete uniform set nearly done that I will share soon, but wanted to start here. I also have this in a non-gradient version with the ball solid orange. The colors are new, slightly different from past hues of purple, orange and red the team has used before. I really want to give the team a bold, new look that is inspired by the past and has a retro vibe without simply refreshing designs of the past. I've been guilty of doing that myself as a uniform designer and I have a Suns redesign contest in the works that will require entrants to bring new ideas to the table, which inspired me to try some new things with this set I'm working on.

Would love to get your thoughts on what works, what doesn't, etc. I've shared this with some trusted friends and mentors, including Brandon Moore, and everyone seems to love it so far but I'm open to suggestions because I really want this to be perfect. Look forward to hearing from the community and sharing the rest of this project. My previous Suns concepts have done pretty well within the Suns community so I expect this will get some decent buzz when I release the whole thing.

spacer.png

Here's an update after getting help from Todd Radom, Ross Yoshida and others. This may be the final or very close to it. Added and refined sunburst, enlarged wordmark, made ball symmetrical, removed strokes and shadowing, added "banner" behind SUNS. Seems to fit well at scale with other logos and really stands out in a good way. Thoughts?spacer.png

spacer.png

On 8/18/2020 at 10:33 PM, mattr1198 said:

Agreed with the other user here. Colors look great and even the gradient looks nice, but it is WAY too bland for a team called the Suns. Nothing about this image invokes the team name and really just feels like the Knicks primary logo with the triangle removed and the text moved to the center of the ball. I feel you might need several adjustments to make the logo stand out more and feel more "Suns-y".

See update - would love your thoughts!

22 minutes ago, PHXAZGFX said:

See update - would love your thoughts!

That looks way better! Might want to think about adding some outlines around "Phoenix" and adding some space between the Phoenix and Suns text. Otherwise it looks great! 

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

The "SUNS" lettering feels off to me. The spacing between each letter should be at least as thick as the border around the letters; otherwise it looks cramped.

Could use some space between "PHOENIX" and "SUNS" as well. Or shrink down "PHOENIX" and put it in a purple block and attach it to the purple block around "SUNS".

And I'd like to see you do a bit more with the lines of the basketball -- rotate them (e.g. Sixers or Timberwolves), taper them (e.g. Mavericks) or something just to make it more dynamic.

1 hour ago, officeglenn said:

The "SUNS" lettering feels off to me. The spacing between each letter should be at least as thick as the border around the letters; otherwise it looks cramped.

Could use some space between "PHOENIX" and "SUNS" as well. Or shrink down "PHOENIX" and put it in a purple block and attach it to the purple block around "SUNS".

And I'd like to see you do a bit more with the lines of the basketball -- rotate them (e.g. Sixers or Timberwolves), taper them (e.g. Mavericks) or something just to make it more dynamic.

I hear you on the lettering and will try some of those suggestions. I previously had the ball laces at the angle of the current Suns logo and also tried the straight on angle with tapered lines. The advice I got from the pros was to go with a symmetrical look for this design since everything else about it is mostly symmetrical and the tapered lines don't fit with the rest of the lines here. It did look a bit odd when I tried it...

Archived