Unveiling of the G - August 5, 1961

At first, I read the title as "Unveiling of the D", and was pretty hesitant to click the link.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That article said there was an offence vs defense scrimmage, and the offense won, 10 to 0.

How exactly was the defense going to "win"that game?

Guessing the defense played offensive positions when they had the ball and vice versa. I remember seeing depth charts from that era.  With roster size being much smaller, there was a lot of instances of, say, Forrest Gregg being listed as a DT as well as an OT.

21 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Guessing the defense played offensive positions when they had the ball and vice versa. I remember seeing depth charts from that era.  With roster size being much smaller, there was a lot of instances of, say, Forrest Gregg being listed as a DT as well as an OT.

You might be thinking of Gale Gillingham who played both ways.  Vince would have been too no nonsense for the offense and defense to switch sides. There was no pretense of the defense winning the game.

It's where I sit.

I definitely recall seeing Forrest Gregg listed as a DT, but he was third on the depth chart.  I doubt he ever actually played DT for the Packers though, and probably only would have in an emergency situation.

They may have just assigned points to the offense and defense based on specific results, not just FGs and TDs (i.e., the defense receives points for forced punts, turnovers, tackles for loss, etc.).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The link to the Q and A was great.  I wish every team would (from every sport) have a uniform Q/A like this.  I was disappointed that there wasn't a more well-known story about why the logo changed its shape.  But I like that they dispelled the rumor about "Greatness" (and I had no idea that Tiki Barber, for some reason, started it) as well as the discussion about Georgia.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

The link to the Q and A was great.  I wish every team would (from every sport) have a uniform Q/A like this.  I was disappointed that there wasn't a more well-known story about why the logo changed its shape.  But I like that they dispelled the rumor about "Greatness" (and I had no idea that Tiki Barber, for some reason, started it) as well as the discussion about Georgia.

Someone had 'updated' Wikipedia with that line about Greatness - and Tiki ran with it.

At least that is the story that I had heard.

Cliff Christl is/was awesome (the guy who did the Q&A). He was a writer for the Green Bay Press Gazette, and it was not uncommon for him to clash with the team over his coverage, which was honest during the 70s. http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/journalist-cliff-christl-takes-job-as-packers-historian-b99200491z1-244578431.html/

It's where I sit.

Archived