NFL 2020

FormerLurker

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So going back to unveiling. I think the Patriots are going to wait until AFTER Brady makes his decision. @canzman said that he saw a different uniform for them, and if they are going a new uniform, it would be a Post-TB era, and I think they'll wait until after he does something. 

1 hour ago, Survival79 said:

The easiest way to solve this problem is to change the name of the city to Greenbay.

Nah - then it will be easier to mis-pronounce. It isn't GREEN bay, nor is it green BAY. Neither word is accented, regardless of how certain football announcers say it.

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

Incidentally...anyone remember how the Packers almost switched to metallic gold in the ‘90s? Can we all agree it’s a good thing that didn’t come to fruition?

Yeah - I'll bet @Gothamite and I have linked to that a few times. 😛

It's where I sit.

9 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:
On 3/5/2020 at 9:39 AM, AgentColon2 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

They both are variations of yellow, we just call one athletic gold. 

This is correct.  Gold is a kind of yellow, a dark shade of yellow, just as sky blue is a light shade of blue and navy blue is a dark shade of blue, and kelly green is a light shade of green and forest green is a dark shade of green.

The tendency to consider gold a separate colour from yellow is influenced by language.  If we called gold "dark yellow" or "golden yellow", then its status as a kind of yellow would be as obvious as in the cases of sky blue being a kind of blue or kelly green being a kind of green.  But a separate term leads some to imagine that gold is a separate colour, in the same way that speakers of Russian consider light blue and dark blue to be different colours because that language has two different terms for these shades (голубой and синий, respectively). 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

At this point, it doesn't matter what the logo stand for. The Packers won't change it. It's too iconic, and they've had much success with it. In my mind, the Packers brand is the last one that needs to change in the NFL(looking at you, Browns).

On 3/5/2020 at 9:52 AM, Sec19Row53 said:

@Gothamite - is there a story WHY the Packers call it gold? I don't recall one and won't google it figuring you might know 🙂

The 8-color box of crayola kid in me calls it yellow. The 64-color box of crayola kid in me knows it isn't gold (as in Green & Gold). Yet here we are.

Crayola has had a few colors darker than pure yellow to make the proper distinctions. Dandelion (now retired) was probably the closest to what people call athletic gold, which seemed odd to me as a kid, since dandelions are pretty bright (at least the petals are), but there was also yellow orange and goldenrod. Interestingly, the Spanish translation of goldenrod was amarillo oro (golden yellow), but it was a bit more subdued than dandelion, probably more like what we would call mustard.

On 3/5/2020 at 2:56 PM, Gobbi said:

The way I look at it (unsubstantiated in my own brain at least) is that athletic gold is a subset of the broader "yellow". No different than how navy and royal are both considered "blue". To me, yellow is a general term that could apply to a variety of shades within that category.

Is athletic gold yellow? Sure! Is "athletic gold" a more descriptive way of describing its specific shade of yellow? Certainly.

I think we can all agree on this. An explanation that satisfies both the niche and the masses.

21 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I think that's the best reason to change it.

Especially since their "GB" monogram is so much better.

Lombardi_GB_cap1.jpg

I’ve always loved this.

9 hours ago, cheo25 said:

Couldn't agree more. As an LSU fan, I have a similar feeling for the staircase LSU logo used on their baseball caps. Clunky and jumbled, it's much worse than the regular horizontal "LSU" wordmark used on almost every LSU athletic item not related to LSU baseball.

The thing about monograms is they’re not really intended to be “read” in the traditional sense. They’re letters decoratively composed into a single unit and meant to be as much image as they are type (if not more). So, while the horizontal LSU wordmark is more readable, I don’t think it holds the same artistic value for people as the interlocking one does. I get that it’s part of a larger branding suite and that there are consideration to be made in service of a unified identity, but I think that argument becomes weaker if you can’t get all your teams to adopt the new branding (an issue LSU has).

The same would hold true for that GB monogram; a G and a B next to each other would certainly be more easy to read, but that’s not really the goal, and it would probably feel similarly flat and undercooked compared to the interlocking one.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 3/6/2020 at 12:02 AM, IceCap said:

burgundy is right. This is a depiction of the royal coat of arms of England, from the 1250s.

QHDSRLZ.jpg

By your definition, Vet, those lions are "yellow" as it's not a metallic shade used to depict them. Yet the description of England's royal arms is "Gules, three lions passant guardant in pale." Which basically means "three gold lions on all fours with a paw up on a red background."
Make no mistake. Heraldry is, in many ways, the precursor to modern logo design, with some of its rules more or less held to, to this day. And even back then it was understood "gold" and "silver" could refer to either metallic or flat shades.

So I really don't see the issue with calling the Steelers' pants gold. There's nothing wrong or out of the ordinary about it.

If we consider heraldric names of colors as applicable in modern settings, would we also consider the Colts as having silver pants? 

IMO, Athletic gold is a shade of yellow just as cardinal and scarlet are shades of red.m, or kelly and forest are shades of green. They just called it gold to make it appear more regal. But if the color had been known as athletic yellow instead it would be absurd for anybody to say it’s actually more similar to metallic gold 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

I tell ya...

It’s just really hard...

spacer.png

...to figure out what...

spacer.png

...the patriots should do...

spacer.png

...with their uniforms...

That CR uniform is fantastic.

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

A very unpopular opinion, but I might be the only Packer fan who wishes Ron Wolf had pulled the trigger on that particular rebrand.  

Yeah, sorry.... too close to Baylor. It might have been more palatable if they had only changed the yellow color and not messed with the rest of the uniform design.

My high school pulled off a pretty sweet kelly green / old gold combo when I was there.... basically imagine a kelly green UCLA. But they were terrible for years and years; one of the worst programs in the whole state of Wisconsin.

I found out that years later after I left, they ended up stealing the Buccaneers logo and wearing black jerseys with green numbers *puke*.

is that Panthers uniform on the real Nike template or the old Ripon that they kept using for a while?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

is that Panthers uniform on the real Nike template or the old Ripon that they kept using for a while?

I think they moved to the Nike template.

As far as I know, Green Bay is the only one still on the Ripon one

1 hour ago, tohasbo said:

I think they moved to the Nike template.

As far as I know, Green Bay is the only one still on the Ripon one

They (Panthers) moved to the Nike template last season, as evident by the removal of the logo on the pants.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Too many teams have athletic gold (dark yellow?) in their set and not enough teams have true yellow.  Send this to the unpopular opinions thread.

Also check out the differences in A's colors from 80's to today.  Wasn't the 80's yellow brighter?  Now it's "gold".  Gold has more blue in it and darker red and green values, yellow has higher red and green values and no blue.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Archived