NFL 2020

FormerLurker

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/8/2020 at 11:35 AM, BBTV said:

Disagree.  While I'm not a "gray mask FOR EVERYONE" guy, I'm also not a "team MUST have gray/silver in their scheme to justify the gray mask" either.  

I think the gray mask adds a little... I dunno... something to the look.  Maybe it's just an old-school touch, or maybe it's just because to me there's too much white without it.  

I wouldn't mind seeing what the helmet looks like with other color masks (blue or red) but I can't imagine one being better than gray.

FWIW, the Browns should also go back to gray immediately.  I also wouldn't mind seeing what the Bears would look like in gray (in modern helmets/uniforms, not just by looking at old photos.)

On 12/8/2020 at 2:25 PM, gosioux76 said:

I 100% agree on the Bears. I'd love to see that look. I think they're one of the old guard franchises that could pull it off.

I really didn't care for the white Bills face masks. I don't mind gray, but with white helmet, I'm with @Echo: I'm all in on the blue. It completes the visual callback to the Joe Cribbs/Joe Ferguson era, which was a beautiful set. 

We did see that last year, with the Throwback White Wishbone "C" logo though.

spacer.pngspacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

With so much orange in the jersey, pants and socks, the orange helmet logo works better than the white one for the Bears. One or two games a year with a gray mask would be cool...but I'd miss the navy mask if they went gray full time. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

With so much orange in the jersey, pants and socks, the orange helmet logo works better than the white one for the Bears. One or two games a year with a gray mask would be cool...but I'd miss the navy mask if they went gray full time. 

Idea: gray masks along with the white jersey/white pants combo to go for a true old school look. Do it once, maybe twice a year against a team like Green Bay or another classic team. 

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Yeah, I'd keep the current logo, but switch to a gray mask.

spacer.png

That's just a great, hard-nosed look.

Browns:  100% yes.

Chiefs:  100% yes.

Bears:  60/40 yes.  Theirs would look great either way.

Steelers: With block numbers, yes.  With the current italicized futura numbers, would need to see it.  Despite the numbers matching the helmet, even though it's still an old-school uniform, since I grew up with the block, I still think of it as 'new', so my brain might be tricked into viewing it like an AZ Cardinals situation (modern uniform with old-school helmet.)  Someone younger might feel differently though.

Vikings: 100% no.  Not with the current satin helmet with the modern horn.  The helmet you posted looks good, but that's not what they use, and it's unlikely they'll be returning to it any time soon.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm trying to think of a 'rule' (more accurately, a 'guideline' since nothing works 100% of the time in design.)

Off the top of my head:

*If the shell matches the jersey, then if the jersey is dark (navy, black) then the mask should match the shell.  If it's a super-traditional look, then it could go either way, but in some cases, the gray could stand out too much against black/navy.

*If the shell doesn't match the jersey and isn't white (Browns, old bills) then the mask should not match the jersey, and should be either a trim color (if a contemporary style) or gray (if traditional.)  The Browns brown mask is terrible and clashes with their neo-traditional aesthetic.

*If the shell is white then the mask should either match the dark jersey or be gray (if a traditional look.)  Current Miami mask should be aqua, but if they were to adopt their throwbacks, it should absolutely be gray.

*If the shell is silver/gray then all rules are out the window and it's just preference.  The Raiders could use gray or black, the Patriots IMO looked way better with red masks than gray or blue, Dallas should probably keep gray since any version of blue would clash with one of their jerseys.

This took 15 seconds of thought so I'm sure there's scenarios I've missed.

For purposes of this list, "traditional" is defined as 1) block numbers, blockish numbers, or non-italicized non-dynamic numbers (Bears, Texans), AND 2) logo on sleeve, or stripes on sleeves/shoulders, and no side panels or piping.  Carolina counts, Houston counts, Eagles don't count, PGH is in the middle but probably counts, etc.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, simtek34 said:

We did see that last year, with the Throwback White Wishbone "C" logo though.

spacer.pngspacer.png

I was kind of blown away when I watched this game and was surprised at how much I loved this look. I’m not saying the Bears look too dull as they are, but the grey mask + white “C” somehow managed to lighten the look up a little while still presenting a hard-nosed look. In my opinion, it works well for them.

I also get the argument that the helmet still needs some orange though, so maybe a good solution could be to outline a white “C” in orange, matching the jersey numbers? One of those things I’d want to see rendered before I made a final judgement, but looks good in my head.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 12/8/2020 at 11:46 AM, henburg said:

The Bills are a perfect example of a grey facemask needlessly dragging a look down for the sake of nostalgia. The white facemasks complete their look and just make it cleaner. They need to adopt these full time and the Colts should follow their lead too.

bsc9iawufpilpvm4iobq.jpg

I think Colts should go back to blue

spacer.png

Yeah, the white mask balanced things out on the Bills’ red helmet. The blue mask was too much blue.

And I don’t really know why, but the Colts’ blue mask always looked really goofy to me. They’re in the “grey mask or bust” category for me.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I feel the same about the Chiefs using black on their logo:

spacer.png

Personally I'm willing to trade some legibility to eliminate a non-team color.  Yellow seems to work for the home and road jersey numbers, so I don't see why the logo should be different.

2 hours ago, _RH_ said:

I feel the same about the Chiefs using black on their logo:

spacer.png

Personally I'm willing to trade some legibility to eliminate a non-team color.  Yellow seems to work for the home and road jersey numbers, so I don't see why the logo should be different.

I’d argue the yellow trim makes the KC more legible. The black clutters it up at any distance more than a few feet and you can easily read the letters with the yellow.

Archived