NFL 2020

FormerLurker

I was going to post my ranking of the redesigns this offseason so far, but I actually struggled to find a true number one choice. The Buccaneers, Browns, Chargers, Colts, and Patriots all have fantastic uniforms now. The outlier in the reveals is the Falcons. Wasn’t really great, but more of an improvement in my eyes. They’d definitely be last in the rankings though.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen other people giving grades and frankly people are giving way too high marks for teams that simply reverted to a prior look (tampa) or went back to the parts bin and mashed up a quasi traditional uniform (cleveland). To me a return to normalcy and doing what's obvious should be expected and not congratulated but then again we are in abnormal times...

I'll take a stab at it:

1. Buccaneers

2. Chargers (if they had gone with block numbers, they would have been tied for 1st)

3. Colts 

4. Browns (No orange pants and brown facemask don't work for me)

5. Patriots (No silver or white pants killed this set)

6. Atlanta (yuck, horrible home and red alternate. Only salvageable unis are throwback and white/black road)

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I was going to post my ranking of the redesigns this offseason so far, but I actually struggled to find a true number one choice. The Buccaneers, Browns, Chargers, Colts, and Patriots all have fantastic uniforms now. The outlier in the reveals is the Falcons. Wasn’t really great, but more of an improvement in my eyes. They’d definitely be last in the rankings though.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. The five positive rebrands are tough to compare in a way; I think the Bucs' and Browns' rebrands are similar in that they essentially reverted to what they had pre-Nike. I absolutely love the rest, particularly the Chargers. More bullish on the Patriots set than most too, but I do think that 2/3 tweaks could improve that set. 

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

1 Buccaneers

2 Chargers

My new team vs my old team, and it was tough! Both upgraded to tremendous unis and it was hard to pick. I had to get nitpicky to find details to make a difference but it came down to the Bucs still using the inferior terminator skull vs the Chargers' two unnecessary Colour Rush unis. The Bucs have one, but the Chargers opted for two. Probably to make Dean happy because of his navy preference. The Chargers would have probably been 1 had they not included the navy set.

3 Browns

The Browns, Chargers, and Bucs all have great primary looks that improve upon trash uniforms, and have stupid alternates. The Browns are just a tier below the Bucs and Chargers due to the unnecessary brown pants that will ruin the brilliant white road jerseys. White jerseys over white pants with striped socks is classic Browns to me, and I just don't see the brown pants as necessary. Also? They got docked half a point for no grey facemasks.

4 Colts 

I really like the new numbers. I hate the new C alternate, but it's so rarely used it's a non-factor. I find the black Nike swoosh on the roads to be egregious in the worst way but that in and of itself doesn't ruin what's still a classic look. Hopefully they leave it at that and don't go blackout in the future.

5 Patriots

The proper pants help bring the look together, but they still need white or silver pants to pair with the home navy jerseys. Good news is that pants changes don't count against the five year rule, so they can roll them out anytime.

6 Falcons

So I said elsewhere that I think the bones of this design are both really clean and really modern, and I stand by that. What bothers me about this set are the details, and unfortunately? They ruin it. The number font sucks, the giant wordmark sucks, the solid socks suck, the satin helmet sucks, and the gradient jersey has to be the worst jersey in the NFL. I feel like this basic design (prominent helmet logo, logo on the sleeves, simplified striping from jersey to pants) could have worked, but everything they tacked on top of it ruins it.

N/A Rams

I don't have high hopes.

On 4/20/2020 at 2:28 PM, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Well this look is relatively new to Jax so what they may be doing is field testing which is the best/most well received look and will just roll with that mostly in subsequent season

Who are we kidding they're always going to be mixing/matching because "swag" or "fire"

And THIS is exactly what makes the Falcons new set so damned awful -- I believe that Atlanta could, if we include sock options, become the first NFL team to wear a completely different uniform for every single game in a season. I'm not saying that they necessarily will mix and match that much, but they absolutely could do it if they wanted to. (Quietly thinks: I HOPE they do NOT do this!)

There are other reasons the Falcons redesign is bad, but this is near the top of the list IMHO.

I'm not sure I can make an outright ranking, but I can classify all the reveals relative to their previous sets:

Previous set was awful, new set is fantastic:  Bucs, Browns

Previous set was awful, new set is good with some flaws:  Pats

Previous set was awful, new set is (maybe slightly better but) still awful:  Falcons

Previous set was awful, new set is ?:  Rams

Previous set was mediocre, new set is fantastic:  Chargers

Previous set was fantastic, new set is marginally even better:  Colts

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

6 Falcons

So I said elsewhere that I think the bones of this design are both really clean and really modern, and I stand by that. What bothers me about this set are the details, and unfortunately? They ruin it. The number font sucks, the giant wordmark sucks, the solid socks suck, the satin helmet sucks, and the gradient jersey has to be the worst jersey in the NFL. I feel like this basic design (prominent helmet logo, logo on the sleeves, simplified striping from jersey to pants) could have worked, but everything they tacked on top of it ruins it.

Excellent synopsis.

Not that the rest of your write up was bad, but this is a very good description of why the Falcons failed.

It's where I sit.

Not sure if I'm allowed to do this here, but I felt like I had to drop this link. This has to be the single worst article I've ever seen written about NFL uniforms.

5 NFL teams that could use a uniform makeover

https://fansided.com/2020/04/22/new-nfl-uniforms-giants-cowboys/

Among the highlights, the writer:

- Calls the Giants' old red alternates their road uniforms

- Says the Cowboys wear blue at home

- Says the Ravens' "color schemes have remained very similar throughout their history" (???)

- Says the Jaguars wear "light blue"

23 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Not sure if I'm allowed to do this here, but I felt like I had to drop this link. This has to be the single worst article I've ever seen written about NFL uniforms.

- Says the Ravens' "color schemes have remained very similar throughout their history" (???)

My favorite Fansided headline this week, just because it's so grammatically awful:

"Let’s take a minute to appreciate how awesome the new Chargers uniforms are"

https://fansided.com/2020/04/21/chargers-new-uniforms-2020-photos/

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

53 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

His last sentence in the Giants portion is the only smart thing in that whole article. 

Quarantine is really exposing a lot of people's ignorance towards NFL uniforms, I've never seen people talk about them this much on TV. And oh boy are some of these analysis of these uniforms are bad. The Bucs and browns have apparently not differences between their old uniforms and updates, I've see people say the same about the chargers. 

People also think that the Bucs started this, and that the rest of the NFL is just hopping on a trend because quarantine has them with nothing better to do. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

32 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Quarantine is really exposing a lot of people's ignorance towards NFL uniforms, I've never seen people talk about them this much on TV. And oh boy are some of these analysis of these uniforms are bad. The Bucs and browns have apparently not differences between their old uniforms and updates, I've see people say the same about the chargers. 

People also think that the Bucs started this, and that the rest of the NFL is just hopping on a trend because quarantine has them with nothing better to do. 

It takes a certain type of person to really study uniform history and design. Most people aren't so detail oriented. And some aren't to the point where chronology isn't their strong suit.

10 minutes ago, BandaBassotti said:

I don't know.. teal over white and white over teal looks too much like Miami's aqua on white and white on aqua to me

Except for the black helmet :) Jaguars white over teal has always been the Jaguars main/best look. Although with this new set I actually prefer black over teal for the home look (unpopular opinion). 

3 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Except for the black helmet :) Jaguars white over teal has always been the Jaguars main/best look. Although with this new set I actually prefer black over teal for the home look (unpopular opinion). 

Yes but to a casual viewer they would be the Miami Dolphins . Trust me i had first hand experience with a friend of mine😂

22 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Ideally home is Black/Teal and road is White/Teal. If the want to embrace the teal and still maintain the use of black as a primary that’s how you do it.

15 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

Ideally home is Black/Teal and road is White/Teal. If the want to embrace the teal and still maintain the use of black as a primary that’s how you do it.

I think you mis-spelled Teal/White for the home set 🙂

It's where I sit.

Archived