NFL 2020

FormerLurker

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Fwiw something may be afoot with the Cardinals as Kyler Murray has commented that he dislikes their outdated uniforms. 

spacer.png

I wouldn’t mind if they enlarged the sleeve stripes, and move the AZ Flag onto the chest as some sort of badge like how the Jaguars used to have.

9 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Fwiw something may be afoot with the Cardinals as Kyler Murray has commented that he dislikes their outdated uniforms. 

spacer.png

Better players have worn worse uniforms. Doesn't matter what he thinks. 

11 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Have to say what is up with all this hyphenation that has been occurring in the past 5-8 years it seems?

Or maybe I'm wrong and this is just the normal amount and I just didn't notice in previous decades?

One day there's going to be a Stephen DeLamielleure-Stallworth...then what are equipment managers gonna do?

It's a reflection of society, where hyphenating names has become more common than it was even just a couple of decades ago.  I don't know stats, but I bet if there was a way to check census data (or tax returns, or any other database of names), it's been on an upward slope since the late 90s.  Everyone has their reasons for choosing to hyphenate or not, but just that it's common and accepted now is better than "forcing" someone to arbitrarily go with one name just because that's what's "normal".  If someone chooses to go with one, then cool, but it's also cool that they don't have to.

So basically, your observation that there's more now than before is accurate, but the reasoning is simply that it reflects society.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

spacer.png

Now that the Falcons & Patriots have updated their looks, correct me if I am wrong, but that just leaves the Cardinals & Bengals using their Reebok-era side panels look, right? 

Just now, mmajeski06 said:

Now that the Falcons & Patriots have updated their looks, correct me if I am wrong, but that just leaves the Cardinals using their Reebok-era side panels look, right? 

Cincinnati Bengals 

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I wouldn’t mind if they enlarged the sleeve stripes, and move the AZ Flag onto the chest as some sort of badge like how the Jaguars used to have.

I absolutely think they could pull that off, and pull it off well. I’d even be for some kind of stylized flag-inspired logo, around the same line of thinking as this Coyotes’ alt:

spacer.png

Not a state outline per se, but something flag-inspired that’s stylized in a similar fashion. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

16 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

spacer.png

Kyler Murray join CCSLC

spacer.png

16 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

spacer.png

You know, I remember liking the Cardinals uniforms when they came out. Yes, I was 15, but I thought the uniforms they had were bland at the time. That and a new look for a perennial loser might help. Good management has more to do with teams winning, but I notice that the Pats and Bucs aren't in any rush to make Pat Patriot or Bucco Bruce their primary look anytime soon.

10 hours ago, Olmec said:

Better players have worn worse uniforms. Doesn't matter what he thinks. 

Interviewer: "Kyler, please tell us - what do you think about the Cardinals uniforms?"

Kyler Murray: "Well actually, I..."

eMgHjlK0HU2DLGWVMZD8U0-NIQnZIvd2TA4PqAmp

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Lo...why wouldn’t it matter what Kyler thinks? He IS the face of the franchise and uniforms are the NFL’s bread and butter to market the players. Here’s hoping his comments spur a long overdue update. Well them and the Bengals in their ridiculous tiger costumes. 

Midway.png

26 minutes ago, Midway said:

Lo...why wouldn’t it matter what Kyler thinks? He IS the face of the franchise and uniforms are the NFL’s bread and butter to market the players. Here’s hoping his comments spur a long overdue update. Well them and the Bengals in their ridiculous tiger costumes. 

Exactly. The Browns did it with both Manziel and Mayfield. It would almost feel wrong if Arizona wasn’t in the process already and Cincinnati didn’t start the process now. Hell, I wouldn’t be shocked if Baltimore started the process after drafting Jackson in 2018 or at some point last season.

12 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Exactly. The Browns did it with both Manziel and Mayfield. It would almost feel wrong if Arizona wasn’t in the process already and Cincinnati didn’t start the process now. Hell, I wouldn’t be shocked if Baltimore started the process after drafting Jackson in 2018 or at some point last season.

Well, look at how that turned out.

tenor.gif?itemid=5245104&f=1&nofb=1

Ideally, you should wait to see if your "franchise star" will be worth a damn at any point.

If I were king, every single change would be made with the intention of sticking around forever.  No, that doesn't mean that nobody else would ever change again...trends, attitudes, change; teams move; teams go through losing periods; looks get stale even if it wouldn't have been predictable.  But they would not be designed with the expectation that they'll need to be redesigned again.  The Mariners and the White Sox would be the norm (or at least the intent), not the just-ditched Browns look or the silly two-toned Jags helmet.

So, to that end, how do these uniforms stack up

• Bucs: A-.  I could see this being the essential look forever. They are going back to their most successful look and most beloved.  For the most part, it looks good and isn't going to be outdated.  The "minus" is because of the big logo...but even if they shrink that, it's still the "essential" look.  This contrasts greatly with the old Bucs uniforms, which appeared to have obsolescence built in.
  • Colts: A.  I really wish the mask had been made blue but that's irrelevant.  Whatever color mask they chose would have the potential to stick around. I don't love these numbers, but they fit a historic team and probably won't look stale in the future.
  • Pats: C+.  The could stick with this more basic look, but there is a lot of potential for updates regarding shoulder numbers, tweaking the amount of silver, etc.
  • Falcons: D-.  I really cannot see these uniforms being around in ten years, much less in perpetuity. I don't think the team sees it that way, either.
  • Browns: A.  Essentially back to the basics.  The Brown facemask could change and the font could go back to block, but they could easily survive the next hundred years without a change of significance (including the font or facemask).
  • Chargers: B+.  This was the most difficult to grade.  Maybe they will stick it out for a while.  But given their history of changing shades, the potential for the italics to change back, and the potential for the numbered helmets to grow stale, I did not view this as quite as solid as the Browns, Bucs, or Colts.

Really, it's only the Falcons that I think were designed specifically to be temporary, with the Pats unlikely not to make key "tweaks" at the very least.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

29 minutes ago, JOEYxFRESCO said:

Then Cardinals redesign will be very interesting when it happens. I expect to do something new rather than go back to the plain uniforms 

I could see them trying to mix it.  I guess Kyler Murray mentioned the state flags...I think those were always well liked.  I would not be surprised.

I'd guess a nod to the old white uniforms with the red one adapting to that (i.e., black trim on the red one).  A little more basic, but not like the old red one. Maybe just red/white jersey with black outline on the numbers and the AZ flag on the sleeve with the number on the shoulders? 

Unpopular opinion (?): I never liked the flag.  But I liked pretty much everything else about the early AZ Cards uniforms.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived