I’ll add my rankings:

1. Chargers: easily one of my top 3 favorite uniforms in the league. Such a nice and clean modern update, and they knew it too. About as close to perfection aside from the unnecessary royal color rush.

2. Browns: Such a great return to a classic. This is what they should have done in 2015, although it wouldn’t have gained nearly as much attention. With the addition of orange pants and maybe a jersey these will become even better. I don’t even mind the Color Rush much at all.

3. Bucs: While I would have maybe liked to see the return of the creamsicle, the seeming end of the one-helmet rule gives me hope. Still, this is about as perfect of an update of the 2000’s set as could be. I love that they kept the current logos, and paid such attention to detail this time around.

4. Patriots: I think this is a bigger upgrade than most, just putting into consideration what came before. I’m not huge on the number font or no gray pants at home, but I’ll take that any day over the mess of piping they had before.

5. Colts: The numbers are a definite upgrade, but that’s about all that noticeably changed on the uniforms. The new logos are inconsequential, and the black swoosh on the away is baffling, but other than that they stuck with the classics which is good.

6. Falcons: I hated these when they leaked, but it’s grown on me ever so slightly to being tolerable, and maybe even a slight upgrade. The biggest downsides are the helmet and the mono-white away combination. The fact that the red stripe doesn’t work in application is somewhat annoying too, especially since it resulted in no red jersey.

7. Rams: This is automatic for me, just based on their once-iconic helmet logo no longer registering as a Rams horn. That’s not even getting into the mismatched stripes, the gray away, and the weird streetwear patches. The colors are nice (hopefully they aren’t as bright on the field), and I don’t even hate the gradient, but this just no longer feels like the Rams to me. I hope they change back to something a little more traditional after 5 years. Just return to the throwbacks with some slight updates, a la the Bucs and Browns.

Overall though, this was a great offseason for NFL uniforms. I would say 5 out of the 7 are definite upgrades, and at least 1 other one might be too. Heck, compared to the mismatched look the Rams have been trotting out the last few years, they might even be an overall upgrade, but not by much.

39 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Overall though, this was a great offseason for NFL uniforms. I would say 5 out of the 7 are definite upgrades, and at least 1 other one might be too. Heck, compared to the mismatched look the Rams have been trotting out the last few years, they might even be an overall upgrade, but not by much.

Agreed, theres a solid top 3, a solid bottom 2, and the other two are just in the middle.

4 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Seems everyone wants generic stripes and block numbers for the whole league. The home uniforms (with yellow pants) are great. The "bone" uniform, I don't see how that made the cut.

You seem to say these blanket statements a lot... I do like a good block font but I like some custom fonts but I have to like them & in this case I do not... Why is the Home uniforms great is it the inventive pant stripes or the cut off stripe on the shoulders? I have seen many people say the colors are great which is true but if I like the color of a car but do not like the make, the model, or the look of the car I am not going to say that car is great because of the colors.

4 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I don't understand the hate for the Rams uniforms. They're rather simple, not flashy or complicated, bright, and they look like the rams. The only comment I have is that I wish they would use yellow pants on the road, but they are otherwise great. 

I truly do not understand anyone liking the look of the them... Are they better than the throwbacks? No... Is the new horn shape better? No... Besides the colors everything else is not better than any of the old Rams look... These are not better than what they wore in St. Louis & I don't even like those... The dirty white uniforms are not even any better than the mismatched ones they are replacing which is beyond sad in itself...

1. Chargers: I don't think they're amazing by any stretch of the imagination. The treatment of the shoulder bolts is awkward compared to the uniforms of the past that they were trying to emulate. The royal and navy alternates do nothing but undermine the rebrand. The numbers and NOB really didn't need to be italicized. But they made the sensible decision (which is a rarity for the Spanos family) to return to powder blue and gold, decades too late for it to matter. It's the least bad rebrand in a disappointing offseason.

2. Colts: The black swoosh on the road jerseys is a pointless downgrade that probably sets the stage for BFBS alternates. If they wanted to change the number font, they should have changed to the font they use on their helmets.

3. Buccaneers: As much as everyone was thrilled to see the alarm clock numbers go away, I personally don't think the Bucs have ever had a great uniform set and I don't think bringing back the overrated Super Bowl look is the answer. They passed up a golden opportunity to shift to a pewter/orange-centric look that would have stood out more.

4. Browns: I get why they did what they did, but the old-school Browns uniforms will never get high scores from me because I don't like double-decker sleeve stripes. The lack of orange pants is also a huge disappointment. At least they resisted the urge to bring back gray facemasks. I would have rather seen them take the Dolphins' approach and simplify their previous set.

5. Patriots: Apparently they thought they were designing uniforms for the New England University Patriots of the NAIA, not the New England Patriots of the NFL. This looks like a cheap catalog order, not professional football uniforms. The Patriots have had good uniforms for exactly one year of their existence (1993) and every change since then has been a downgrade.

6. Falcons: Like the Patriots, they don't even look like an NFL team anymore. Unlike the Patriots, they look like a fly-by-night arena football team instead of a Division 3 college football program. I do actually like the gradient jerseys as a tribute to the '90s Hawks, but the set overall is a mess. One of my biggest pet peeves is side panels/stripes that don't match up, and the Falcons have guaranteed this will happen every time they wear red pants.

7. Rams: The road uniforms say it all, really. Just a total overthought mess of an identity from start to finish. We'll be back here ranking the Rams' new uniforms again in five years.

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Patriots: Apparently they thought they were designing uniforms for the New England University Patriots of the NAIA, not the New England Patriots of the NFL. This looks like a cheap catalog order, not professional football uniforms. The Patriots have had good uniforms for exactly one year of their existence (1993) and every change since then has been a downgrade.

But the uniforms are really no different than the Colts, LSU, Ole Miss, and all other teams with that shoulder/pants  tri-color stripe pattern.  It's really just the pants that's different. Also, I really doubt the Falcons wear those red pants more than once at the most. Quinn and Dimitroff said the players will determine the uniform combo each week, and I can't see them latching on to that option, when they have all white, and the black pants.

37 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

But the uniforms are really no different than the Colts, LSU, Ole Miss, and all other teams with that shoulder/pants  tri-color stripe pattern.

The issue isn't the stripes, it's the double outlined numerals that clutter what could be a nice, clean look.

PatsIssues.jpg

1: Browns (A massive reversion and an entirely necessary one. They just need to add some orange pants and I would've

preferred a white or grey facemask. But all in all, they look great. And, more importantly, like themselves again.)

2: Chargers (Spanos finally did what San Diego fans have been wanting for years! Too bad they already got screwed over

by the Spanos family. Glad they finally stopped holding on to the damn navy. The font is better than the last one, but I'm

not exactly crazy on it being italicized. Regardless, they look pretty great and are really close to the number one spot for me. )

3: Colts (The font change is an upgrade. The added black is unnecessary. )

4: Buccaneers (I'm a creamcicle fan and think they should use more orange not less, so the "Superb Owl" set is whatever

to me. However, it's much better than the alarm clock days.)

5: Patriots (I hated the 2000s set and liked the color rush uniform a lot so that alone is an upgrade. Don't like the monochrome

though. And personally, I'd dump the silver entirely.)

6: Rams
7: Falcons

Both these Mf-ers are a overdesigned Nikefied mess. There's something about both uniform sets that make them look amateur.

I'm honestly not sure which one is 6 and which one is 7 for certain. They both are using gradients. The number fonts for both

teams suck. Both seem to be set on using monochrome most of the time. They both did something unnecessary with their

helmets (Rams decals, Falcons finish). The Falcons random side piping and the enormous ATL. The Rams boneheaded decisions

regarding their away uniforms. Etc, etc. So on, and so forth. 

BUT  because the Rams home uniform (with yellow pants) is somewhat close to being a decent uniform I'll give them a slight edge.

For now.  A good block font would really help them. 

Posted (edited)

After seeing what happened to the Rams trainwreck, there really is something to be said about getting a look right the first time or just striking gold with a look and keeping it. All the Rams had to do to make these uniforms work was go back to the 70s-90s look. That's it. But nooooo, they had to overthink things. Hopefully in 5 years, they'll do as I suggested. Reminds me of the Titans new look. What they had was fine, a nice evolution on the Oilers look. But, because the best way to sell new merchandise is to completely change it everything, even the elements that work, they went for that. 

Why are NFL teams adopting the New Coke business model? Oh, right.

Edited by Red Comet

I think the best comparison is the New Browns. Classic uniforms that never had to change, but they thought they knew best and made dumb changes that are sort of like the classic uniforms but worse in every way.

The good news is that these are getting a ton of backlash and we'll hopefully get the classic uniforms again as soon as they can change them, just like with Browns.

16 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Seems everyone wants generic stripes and block numbers for the whole league. The home uniforms (with yellow pants) are great. The "bone" uniform, I don't see how that made the cut.

I’m fine with the number font just not all the cutesy :censored: the added to it with the reflective swirls and junk. And they didn’t have to have traditional stripes, just not those, better yet just go back to the ram horn stripe.

7 hours ago, hawk36 said:

The issue isn't the stripes, it's the double outlined numerals that clutter what could be a nice, clean look.

PatsIssues.jpg

These are ridiculous reasons. The logo is much smaller than the numbers and even includes silver and red too which you ignore, and they also don’t have the flag on their uniform other than the one required on the helmet for every team, and without the blue would look inconsistent.

48 minutes ago, dont care said:

These are ridiculous reasons. The logo is much smaller than the numbers and even includes silver and red too which you ignore, and they also don’t have the flag on their uniform other than the one required on the helmet for every team, and without the blue would look inconsistent.

I don't think they're ridiculous, just unnecessary.  Those "rules" are fine if absolute consistency and cohesion os the goal, but that doesn't need to be the goal.

The numbers are the biggest thing though, and I agree that no outline would be the best move.  Keeping the same double outline just makes the numbers look like poor knockoffs of the previous set, and they don't go with anything else in the uniform.  Even a single outline would be an improvement, but solid color would make the most sense, and also look "tough" (for lack of a better term.)

2 hours ago, dont care said:

These are basic good design principles. People can do and like what they want but there are very valid, time tested reasons why they are in place. 

10 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

These are basic good design principles. People can do and like what they want but there are very valid, time tested reasons why they are in place. 

It makes no sense though, nobody complains about the packers or Steelers numbers for not having outlines When the logo does. They are completely different elements that are separated from eachother.

11 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

But the uniforms are really no different than the Colts, LSU, Ole Miss, and all other teams with that shoulder/pants  tri-color stripe pattern.  It's really just the pants that's different.

The Colts, LSU and Ole Miss have been wearing their looks forever with minimal changes over the years, and for the most part, they're more cohesive than the Patriots' new uniforms. 

The Patriots have silver helmets on a uniform set with barely any other silver (they don't even have silver pants anymore), double-outlined numbers on an otherwise conservative uniform, red-heavy shoulder stripes on the road jerseys that clash with the navy-centric color balance of literally everything else in the uniforms, etc. They don't even have TV numbers despite having ample space for them.

Then there's the issue that they're trying to do a pseudo-throwback to an era where the franchise was one of the biggest laughingstocks in sports. The uncertain post-Brady era is probably not the best time to evoke memories of the Sullivan family going bankrupt and the team almost moving to St. Louis.

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

The Patriots have silver helmets on a uniform set with barely any other silver (they don't even have silver pants anymore),

Okay, I'll agree with you here.  The Patriots desperately need silver pants with this uniform.

double-outlined numbers on an otherwise conservative uniform

That's not a contradiction.  Three outlines?  A drop-shadow?  Even stylized custom numbers, I would agree with you.  But simple (mostly) block need more than just a single outline to qualify.

red-heavy shoulder stripes on the road jerseys that clash with the navy-centric color balance of literally everything else in the uniforms, etc. They don't even have TV numbers despite having ample space for them.

Again, you say it like it's a bad thing.  TV numbers are increasingly pointless, and without their utility they are just extra clutter.  Better a team insignia than unnecessary numbers.

Then there's the issue that they're trying to do a pseudo-throwback to an era where the franchise was one of the biggest laughingstocks in sports. The uncertain post-Brady era is probably not the best time to evoke memories of the Sullivan family going bankrupt and the team almost moving to St. Louis.

I really don't think that's what they're doing at all.  That seems a lot more like reading something into it that wasn't intended.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

It makes no sense though, nobody complains about the packers or Steelers numbers for not having outlines When the logo does. They are completely different elements that are separated from eachother.

Agreed completely.  That's asking the Patriots to adhere to design standards that are arbitrary and bizarre.

1. Chargers - incredible. I’d like navy numbers on the helmet, and white pants with the navy alt, but those are minor gripes. 

2A. Buccaneers - love that they recognized where they went wrong before and rectified it. Especially love the return of the orange glow (no, not that, ghost of Billy Mays). 

2B. Browns - I’m glad they’re supposedly going to add orange pants, as that will further upgrade what is already an excellent set. I wish they would go back to the old seal brown instead of the near-black shade they have now, but that’s a minor nitpick. 

4. Colts - number font is an upgrade, everything else is pretty much negligible. The black swoosh on the white jersey better be the only black this team ever wears. NEVAR IN TEH EVAR should they trot out a black alternate. 

5. Patriots - I like the shoulder striping, both home and road. I love the end to the stupid piping and side panels. I enjoy the little sliver of red on the socks. Overall, though, this is only a slight upgrade, thanks to the apparently sixteen-game monochrome look. And the scarcity of silver below the neck. 

6. Rams - the return to bright blue and yellow was much-needed. I may be among the few who like the new number font, although the little lines on the inside of the numbers are unneeded. I also like the gradient numbers on the blue jersey.  I love the color and finish of the helmet, and the yellow pants. I don’t even mind the segmented horn as much as I expected to. If they wore blue-blue-yellow-blue for every game, this would be among the NFL’s better looks. 

But they won’t. They’re expected to go monochrome more often than not. The bone color they use for their light jersey and pants isn’t great. The bone pants, in and of themselves, cost this set two or three points out of ten. A single yellow stripe, without a hint of blue, on a color that doesn’t contrast with yellow? Seriously?! The bone jersey isn’t much better. They need to add blue to that set stat, or just always wear yellow pants with the bone jersey, which I think would be an acceptable enough look, although the horn on the jersey needs some blue accenting or something. 

They also NEED a yellow alternate. I’d prefer that they adapt the template of their old Color Rush to the new shades, but we know they and the swoosh are both too stupid to do that. Too many 🔥 emojis to chase. 

7. Falcons - dead last in these rankings, and yet these are probably still a slight upgrade from the ultra-busy outfit they wore before. The gradient alt is wholly unnecessary, but at the same time a nice nod to the mid-90s Hawks. I wanted the Falcons to resume using silver as a tertiary like they did for so long before 2003, but they could’ve done a worse job with the red and black. 

It’s little details that mess this up. The giant ATL. The insistence on monochrome. At the very least use some contrasting socks! The side panel/stripe on the jersey, which severely limits the ability for mix-match stylings to look good. The red pants, for instance, have a black stripe, which NONE of the jerseys share. What’s the point?! The very existence of plain white socks, which IMO is a stain on the league’s visual branding right now. 

Frankly, this team could look worse. A lot worse. They could also look a LOT better, though, and it’s disappointing to see them miss the mark on two consecutive rebrands, especially given how rarely this franchise is inclined to offer its look. 

Contrarian veiwpoint alert!!

1. Colts -- It wasn't broken and the fix was minimal (new numbers, new logo, new black Nike logo) and mostly unobtrusive. I thought the Colts looked great before and they'll continue to look great in the future.

2. Browns - They reverted to what people loved and they're set up to look mostly awesome. The unnecessary monochrome is there, but also to be expected in these times.

3. Buccaneers - They also reverted to what people loved, except the helmets aren't as good as they were 15 years ago. The cannonball uniform is super cool though and will look fun on big fat guys.

4. Falcons - I think understand why people don't like it; I just disagree. I like how they've color-coordinated everything, I think the white top/red pants look is inspired, and I think they toned down the worst excesses of the prior set while introducing cool new excesses for the 2020s. I think these will age better than people expect.

5. Chargers - The powder blue uniforms are incredible. The two shades of monochrome alternates are fine on their own, but the Chargers don't get to claim the entire spectrum of blue. It's greedy and unnecessary and introduces confusion in the LA marketplace. Pick a lane, Chargers.

6. Rams - I think their uniform is better designed for the replica market than the on-field market, which is problematic. The monochrome uniforms are terrible and I think they'll be wearing them most frequently. If they committed to blue over yellow and bone over blue or yellow, it would be better.

7. Patriots - With silver pants they'd be up much higher. As it is, I can't condone a primary look that consists of a silver helmet, blue shirt, and blue pants. They look like nothing, and I hope they play like nothing next season too. The road look is fine, but silver pants replacing blue would have made this a winner across all fronts.

Did anybody complain about the Pats' uni changes because of their success in those old uniforms?  Whenever I bring up changing the Miami Heat's unis to vice colors, the immediate blowback I get is "but...but...but....the championships!"