NFL 2020

FormerLurker

19 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

5. Chargers - The powder blue uniforms are incredible. The two shades of monochrome alternates are fine on their own, but the Chargers don't get to claim the entire spectrum of blue. It's greedy and unnecessary and introduces confusion in the LA marketplace. Pick a lane, Chargers.

I really couldn't disagree more with this point. After decades of vacillating between shades of royal and navy, the Chargers are now very clearly a powder blue and yellow team. But that doesn't mean they can't also have alternates that call back to those earlier eras. It would be different if they threw in royal and navy at random. These have purpose in telling the franchise's own story in a different way. To me, it's what makes the set work. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

5. Chargers - The powder blue uniforms are incredible. The two shades of monochrome alternates are fine on their own, but the Chargers don't get to claim the entire spectrum of blue. It's greedy and unnecessary and introduces confusion in the LA marketplace. Pick a lane, Chargers.

I'm with that.  Powder and navy is fine, but royal should have been kept out because of your roommates. 

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

26 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I really couldn't disagree more with this point. After decades of vacillating between shades of royal and navy, the Chargers are now very clearly a powder blue and yellow team. But that doesn't mean they can't also have alternates that call back to those earlier eras. It would be different if they threw in royal and navy at random. These have purpose in telling the franchise's own story in a different way. To me, it's what makes the set work. 

Eh...should the 49ers have multiple shades of gold and silver alternates? Should the Patriots always have a red jersey? Should the Bills have a navy alt?

I understand the nods to the past, but you lose something when you include everything. It dilutes your design choices if you don't actually make choices.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 hours ago, dont care said:

I’m fine with the number font just not all the cutesy :censored: the added to it with the reflective swirls and junk. And they didn’t have to have traditional stripes, just not those, better yet just go back to the ram horn stripe.

Most of that stuff becomes minimally visible during a game broadcast. As long as they wear the yellow pants more than the all blue, they look like a 2020 version of the Rams. It's really the away uniform that's causing an uproar; that one went off the rails.

35 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Eh...should the 49ers have multiple shades of gold and silver alternates? Should the Patriots always have a red jersey? Should the Bills have a navy alt?

I understand the nods to the past, but you lose something when you include everything. It dilutes your design choices if you don't actually make choices.

If the 49ers or Patriots or Bills were to design alternates that take cues from their history, I would see no problem with that. It's not like a Color Rush or BFBS jersey that's thrown in there at random and with no historic precedent. That's just adding noise to a brand's visual story. They serve no purpose.

What the Chargers have done isn't much different from, say, a MLB team that chooses to wear throwback uniforms on Sundays. If the alternates tell part of their visual story, then they have purpose. I see no brand dilution in something that tells part of a brand's story. 

This becomes a different conversation if, by chance, the Chargers end up wearing the navy alternates for eight of the 16 games. Then you absolutely are introducing brand confusion. But I don't see any indication of that happening. 

25 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think Charger fans are more fond of royal unis than Buffalo fans are of the navy experiment. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

32 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

If the 49ers or Patriots or Bills were to design alternates that take cues from their history, I would see no problem with that. It's not like a Color Rush or BFBS jersey that's thrown in there at random and with no historic precedent. That's just adding noise to a brand's visual story. They serve no purpose.

What the Chargers have done isn't much different from, say, a MLB team that chooses to wear throwback uniforms on Sundays. If the alternates tell part of their visual story, then they have purpose. I see no brand dilution in something that tells part of a brand's story. 

This becomes a different conversation if, by chance, the Chargers end up wearing the navy alternates for eight of the 16 games. Then you absolutely are introducing brand confusion. But I don't see any indication of that happening. 

That would be okay if teams had more than 8 home games. And considering the Chargers (and a lot of teams) wear white at home, there's the distinct possibility of seeing 2-3 times, times, powder blue the same, and royal and navy once. At that point, what is the home uniform?

Killing one of the navy or royal set would reduce the issue significantly.

26 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I think Charger fans are more fond of royal unis than Buffalo fans are of the navy experiment. 

Who are you to doubt Bills fans' appreciation of JP Losman?

Kidding -- that era sucked and both the Bills team and its fans would be happy to never see navy and nickel again.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I guess Ill say my rankings: 

1. Browns

Got rid of the disaster and made it look really good. Love the custom number font that isnt ridiculous. Theyve got character, and tradition and it looks good on a modern template. Nailed it.

2. Colts

All I wanted was a white facemask and the number font. They gave me half of it. The logo and such are a nice upgrade and modern. I can be super nitpicky about the black swoosh but I'll take that everyday if it means the unis still have this main look.

3. Buccaneers

I like it. I wish they kept the oversized helmet logo, but I cant complain here. Its good, will look nice on the field and I can see it going for a long time.

4. Chargers

I didn't like them at first but they have since grown on me. They'll look fine. Not sold on yellow pants yet but I get it. Could be a great set if they didnt use the royal blue jersey, and Im not a fan of helmet numbers (I think the bolt looks excellent in itself)

5. Patriots

Good, but I have my gripes. The silver feels unnecessary now that they dropped it everywhere. Its like a meh from me. Better than the last but has room for improvement

6. Falcons

Yeesh I still dont like these. This is going way too hard. They couldve easily made modern and unique updates to their throwbck set and looked good. ATL is dumb, Chrome facemasks are dumb, a GRADIENT jersey? no. They were a red and white team last year and now are a black team. It doesnt make too much sense. THis is an example of overdoing it.

7. Rams

This is awful. They should've gone with the greatest show on turf uniforms. With the last year homes we know they still look good on a modern template. What a disaster this is all around. See my rants in the LA Brand discussion thread if you want my detailed complaints

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

2 hours ago, flyersfan said:

They were a red and white team last year and now are a black team. It doesnt make too much sense.

Not arguing your opinion, but they aren't actually "chrome" facemasks...more like glossed metallic silver. Black has always been a prevalent jersey color in the falcons history. It was the first jersey color, and the home default from 1990-2005 when they started wearing the red Alt. 

32 minutes ago, Newport said:

South Carolina to leave UA for Jordan?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CABXrFGJqq4/?igshid=5iuo7s2l7f77

Yeah I heard UA said there was no way Jordan could take South Carolina from them! They did not learn nothing from the last dance!

The new Chargers set does a good job at making powder blue the team’s primary color, but the inclusion of the royal and navy alternates are a fantastic touch as they acknowledge the use of the two colors in previous iterations. It also helps they cannot be utilized anywhere else in the set.

On 5/5/2020 at 8:53 PM, El Scorcho said:

The Dolphins have announced their rookie numbers and Tua is in #1

However, you can't currently buy his jersey in the throwbacks, either the aqua or white.

I don't get it. I would have thought the Dolphins would be fully stocked in every style for what will be their biggest jersey sales opportunity, maybe ever. 

ff_3918078-938a6bab2dc09e7297b4alt1_full

Tua Tagovailoa Miami Dolphins Nike 2nd Alternate Game Jersey - White

https://www.fanatics.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/tua-tagovailoa-miami-dolphins-nike-2nd-alternate-game-jersey-white/o-3550+t-70049272+p-47098975326+z-9-883190671?_ref=p-TLP:m-TSJ:i-r0c1:po-1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

No sense making a "draft picks in new uniform" thread, but if anyone cares, Eagles picks are as follows:

Jalen Raeger 18

Jalen Hurts 2

Nobody cares after that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/11/2020 at 7:56 PM, L10nheart404 said:

I won't argue with that. My top 5 color schemes are Redskins, Dolphins, Steelers, Panthers(electric blue is lovely), and Seahawks(navy and neon green is very underrated).

Unpopular opinion, I think the Seahawks should have royal, wolf gray, and neon green as their colors. These work really well imo.

003087 hex colora5acaf hex color69be28 hex color

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

I’d love to hear from some actual uniform designers. 

As one, I understand the client (here 2 clients) input that can sway a great uniform into a hot mess.  But I also get the designer trying to be unique, while staying within the bounds of the “brand”

...so my thoughts on the Rams.

and I’m going to start with just the Helmet

• colors are perfect - perfect!

• horn width a huge upgrade - the 2000’s horn was too narrow. 

• horn shape - I am not put off by the break, it’s ok.
I like others would rather have seen a deeper gold rather than blue, but I can live with it.
The thing that those who want the old horn (I hated the skinny horn) is that with modern helmet design and face masks that wrap well onto the sides is, the old horn didn’t work well anymore, and this one works with pretty much every helmet option out there. 

grade: A

more on the home and road unis later

Archived