NFL 2020

FormerLurker

Though I don't care for either logo, the current toothpaste/airline logo and updated uniforms are better than the previous sets imo. The aqua is more vibrant and it still screams "Miami Dolphins." I love when you can instantly identify a team by its colors. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Olmec said:

Though I don't care for either logo, the current toothpaste/airline logo and updated uniforms are better than the previous sets imo. The aqua is more vibrant and it still screams "Miami Dolphins." I love when you can instantly identify a team by its colors. 

I've always felt that animals wearing/using sports equipment felt like a minor league look to me. So, while the new logo isn't amazing, it still feels like an upgrade. Not to mention the old uniform set had the awful dropshadowed and overly outlined numbers. Maybe a bit too much striping as well with orange, teal and navy.The throwbacks are fine, but feel very generic. What the Dolphins wear right now feels like Miami. 

1 hour ago, El Scorcho said:

I think the Dolphins have a decent setup with effectively 2 different uniform sets for 2 different purposes, and I think they're perfectly happy with that arrangement. 

They could do a more modern looking set with sleeve stripes that echos the classic look without having it's drawbacks, but is that necessarily better than the current 2 set setup?

Well, a lot of us would make the argument that it's always better to wear your best look, and if the throwback is that, why not just wear it? Kind of like the old saying about quarterbacks... if you've got two starting quarterbacks, the reality is you don't really have one.  Maybe if you think you've got two competing "great uniforms" it means neither are really good enough. 

5 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, a lot of us would make the argument that it's always better to wear your best look, and if the throwback is that, why not just wear it? Kind of like the old saying about quarterbacks... if you've got two starting quarterbacks, the reality is you don't really have one.  Maybe if you think you've got two competing "great uniforms" it means neither are really good enough. 

In that case, the Dolphins should have a crack at doing a best of both worlds uniform. The throwbacks certainly aren't perfect as a set and need a bit of refinement, but any attempt to modernise them might be seen as treading on their toes. 

It's a delicate and risky balancing act that the Dolphins have so far opted out of. The Chargers nailed it but it's very easy to get wrong. It'll be interesting to see what decision the Dolphins make moving forward. 

13 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I like the analogy but don't know if I totally agree with it in this case. I see the Dolphins' looks as great complements to one another, with the current uniforms being a great modern set and the throwbacks being really nice as well, but perhaps too old-fashioned for regular use every week. The current rotation allows for the throwbacks to be seen pretty frequently without having to go all in on the super traditional vibe. In that sense, I guess I see the throwbacks as a very high-caliber backup. 

I think that analogy wold function perfectly for the Chargers and Rams prior to this year, as they were two teams who couldn't decide on a color scheme and overall look to choose, resulting in mismatched elements all over the place. 

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, henburg said:

I like the analogy but don't know if I totally agree with it in this case. I see the Dolphins' looks as great complements to one another, with the current uniforms being a great modern set and the throwbacks being really nice as well, but perhaps too old-fashioned for regular use every week. The current rotation allows for the throwbacks to be seen pretty frequently without having to go all in on the super traditional vibe. In that sense, I guess I see the throwbacks as a very high-caliber backup. 

I think that analogy wold function perfectly for the Chargers and Rams prior to this year, as they were two teams who couldn't decide on a color scheme and overall look to choose, resulting in mismatched elements all over the place. 

But you are either wearing one or the other, so I don't get how they "compliment" each other. If one of them is better than the other, and it is in my opinion, then you are choosing to look less than your best. Look your best. Pick that uniform and wear it.

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

and if enough people do that, you’ll see the throwbacks move from “special occasions” to “primary”. 

Yeah, but the Home Tua Jersey is #1, and #3 is the away Tua, so even with these selling too, they sold tons of their actual uniforms 

Also, now Miami sold a :censored: ton of Home, Away, Throwback home, and throwback home, so why would it make any sense to reduce the potential profit from going from 4 jerseys to two?

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Or they're already wearing their best look? The throwbacks nice but the current set is great. I'll admit it might be better suited with a traditional block number font but it's still clear that the current one is better than the throwbacks. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

15 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

They need to, but with 2 slight changes.

- Make the outline on the TV numbers thinner, because it is way too thick right now

- Match the helmet stripe to the pants stripe

I would do the opposite here keep the helmet stripe as I love the teal & orange not touching.

6 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Or they're already wearing their best look? The throwbacks nice but the current set is great. I'll admit it might be better suited with a traditional block number font but it's still clear that the current one is better than the throwbacks. 

After dumping the darker blue trim, the Dolphins' current uniform improved quite a bit IMO, but with a terrible number font and a dull helmet logo, it seems most people on this site anyway feel it doesn't compare very favorably to the throwback. With what I've heard, sales of the throwback are better than the primary too, although I don't know if that's still the case.

9 hours ago, Jt0323 said:

Yeah, but the Home Tua Jersey is #1, and #3 is the away Tua, so even with these selling too, they sold tons of their actual uniforms 

The question is which of those is more sustained.  Every single rebrand results in a sales spike, after all, same as the introduction of an anticipated player.  But the unsuccessful rebrands result in that spike evaporating, sooner or later.

9 hours ago, Jt0323 said:

Also, now Miami sold a :censored: ton of Home, Away, Throwback home, and throwback home, so why would it make any sense to reduce the potential profit from going from 4 jerseys to two?

That's the same reason the Brewers had two color schemes for over a decade.  And the Padres.  But at some point, double-dipping loses its luster and the team has to adopt a best look.

Any quarterback that wears #1 is an instant chode, IMHO.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

21 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

Any quarterback that wears #1 is an instant chode, IMHO.

This guy was not a chode:

Top 10 Quarterbacks That Never Reached a Super Bowl | Bleacher ...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just now, WSU151 said:

This guy was not a chode:

Top 10 Quarterbacks That Never Reached a Super Bowl | Bleacher ...

As soon as I posted that, I was like "Somebody's gonna post a Warren Moon photo."  It's not to say that players that wear #1 can't be great, I personally find it kind of in poor taste.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

16 hours ago, WSU151 said:

That wasn’t your original argument. 

But anyway, the third paper still shouldn't have points deducted because the second was bad. 

There is no argument to be made, except the one you’re trying to make. But I’ll bite.

I ranked the Colts ahead of the Bucs, because Tampa simply returned to old uniforms they had worn previously, with small tweaks. They should never have gone away from the Super Bowl set. The “New” uniforms themselves are great, I love them and applaud them for admitting their mistake. But, it was still a mistake on behalf of the Bucs and Nike. And they really created nothing new here. I’m not docking the uniform itself because the previous one was poor.

The Colts get the nod here from me because they never went away from their classics in favor of gimmicks. They tweaked a great look and improved upon it with new logos, wordmarks and number font. They used restraint but created something new. Wish they would have included sock stripes, but that’s my only knock.

Unpopularish Opinion Alert: I don’t hate the Dolphins current logo. It’s a little more streamlined and sleek, which is the right approach for a team called the Dolphins, IMO.
The number font needs to change, maybe to something Art Deco inspired? I think I’d go with the old school striping on the helmet and pants, but I think throwing back completely is the wrong move.

19 minutes ago, BVZ said:

ranked the Colts ahead of the Bucs, because Tampa simply returned to old uniforms they had worn previously, with small tweaks. They should never have gone away from the Super Bowl set. The “New” uniforms themselves are great, I love them and applaud them for admitting their mistake. But, it was still a mistake on behalf of the Bucs and Nike. And they really created nothing new here. I’m not docking the uniform itself because the previous one was poor.

Tell me again why you're docking points? Because the old uniform was a mistake? Or did you dock points because they created nothing new from the uniform they shouldn't have changed? 

Just stick to grading uniforms based on what's in front of you. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Is that a "nobody in a team sport should wear #1" thing?

I get it. From my experience growing up, the guy wearing #1 was usually the coach’s kid and/or thought he was far better than he actually was. There’s definitely a perception of cockiness or arrogance that goes with wearing #1.

33 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Tell me again why you're docking points? Because the old uniform was a mistake? Or did you dock points because they created nothing new from the uniform they shouldn't have changed? 

Just stick to grading uniforms based on what's in front of you. 

Old uniform bad. New uniform good. There you go, pal.

”Docking points” was a figure of speech. I’m not actually grading them like this is the SAT. Just my ranking, based on my opinion, which is ultimately completely irrelevant but fun to do nonetheless.

I like the Bucs uniforms. But I’m not going to ignore the atrocities they trotted out there the last 5 years. I’m not going to worship them for going back to a uniform they never should have parted with in the first place. Oh, and I like the Colts look slightly more. Simple as that. Like I said, my opinion does not matter more than anyone else’s. But since you seem to care very much, that’s my thought process. 

Archived