Jump to content

NFL 2020


FormerLurker
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Is that a "nobody in a team sport should wear #1" thing?

 

39 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

I get it. From my experience growing up, the guy wearing #1 was usually the coach’s and/or thought he was far better than he actually was. There’s definitely a perception of cockiness or arrogance that goes with wearing #1.


 

 

Pretty much that.  I know Michael Jordan said, "there's not an 'I' in 'team,' but there's an 'I' in 'win!'" but #1 has always come off to me like whoever wears it wants all the glory as an individual in a team sport.  Plus it's a kicker number.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

 

 

Pretty much that.  I know Michael Jordan said, "there's not an 'I' in 'team,' but there's an 'I' in 'win!'" but #1 has always come off to me like whoever wears it wants all the glory as an individual in a team sport.  Plus it's a kicker number.

Ehh...major reach lol. It's not a science to it. Most people just have a number(s) as their favorite to wear. They like the way it looks, sentimental reasons, etc. I love #'s 1, 2, 7, 10, and 24. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The #1 thing is silly.  It's not my favorite number, but it's not one that I associate with arrogance at the professional level.  If you make it that far, and want to wear 1, then do it.  Even if it was about ego, then good!  I want my players to think highly of themselves and have an ego.  Especially guys like QBs and receivers.

 

I think it looks better on the smaller players, like kickers/punters.  I'd probably "reserve" 1 and 2 for them, but if a QB wants to wear it then cool, one of them can just switch.

 

It looks pretty odd on a guy like Cam Newton, whos built more like a lineman.  I think 11 would have suited him well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

 

 

Pretty much that.  I know Michael Jordan said, "there's not an 'I' in 'team,' but there's an 'I' in 'win!'" but #1 has always come off to me like whoever wears it wants all the glory as an individual in a team sport.  Plus it's a kicker number.

 

Team sports... like hockey, where the goaltenders wear #1?

Roberto Luongo retires after 19-year NHL career | CBC Sports

 

What about basketball?

 

Tyrone Muggsy Bogues (@MuggsyBogues) | Twitter

 

Chauncey Billups Top 10 Career Plays - YouTube

 

Chicago Bulls: Remembering good times with Derrick Rose

 

Maybe stereotyping people this way isn't the best...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

#1 is a weird one. For me, when I see it on likeable players like Moon, Luongo, and Mugsy, I don't even acknowledge it. But on a player like Cam Newton, it draws attention in the wrong way... cockiness. spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Olmec said:

#1 is a weird one. For me, when I see it on likeable players like Moon, Luongo, and Mugsy, I don't even acknowledge it. But on a player like Cam Newton, it draws attention in the wrong way... cockiness. spacer.png

Well he wanted #2, which is what he wore at Auburn, but that had already been taken by someone who was on the team (I can't remember who). He chose #1 and now I hope no Panther ever wears 1 again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Olmec said:

#1 is a weird one. For me, when I see it on likeable players like Moon, Luongo, and Mugsy, I don't even acknowledge it. But on a player like Cam Newton, it draws attention in the wrong way... cockiness. spacer.png

 

Looking forward to turning 100 so I get the chance to be bothered by things like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, L10nheart404 said:

Ehh...major reach lol. It's not a science to it. Most people just have a number(s) as their favorite to wear. They like the way it looks, sentimental reasons, etc. I love #'s 1, 2, 7, 10, and 24. 

 

It all depends on the numerals.  If a guy on the Bears wore 1, for example, it would be this weird line with no serifs of any kind.  But Newton's 1 on the Panthers in athletic block looks a bit more robust.  Plus he's built like a tank.

 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The #1 thing is silly.  It's not my favorite number, but it's not one that I associate with arrogance at the professional level.  If you make it that far, and want to wear 1, then do it.  Even if it was about ego, then good!  I want my players to think highly of themselves and have an ego.  Especially guys like QBs and receivers.

 

I think it looks better on the smaller players, like kickers/punters.  I'd probably "reserve" 1 and 2 for them, but if a QB wants to wear it then cool, one of them can just switch.

 

It looks pretty odd on a guy like Cam Newton, whos built more like a lineman.  I think 11 would have suited him well.

 

I probably should've come out less strong on the matter and stated, "I feel like wearing the number one rarely looks good and comes off as self serving," instead of throwing the ol' Chode out there.

 

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

 

Team sports... like hockey, where the goaltenders wear #1?

Roberto Luongo retires after 19-year NHL career | CBC Sports

 

What about basketball?

 

Tyrone Muggsy Bogues (@MuggsyBogues) | Twitter

 

Chauncey Billups Top 10 Career Plays - YouTube

 

Chicago Bulls: Remembering good times with Derrick Rose

 

Maybe stereotyping people this way isn't the best...

 

Goalies wearing single digits is kind of silly, IMHO.  Those are defenseman numbers, yo.  Plus with all the padding and bulk of their uniforms, goalies wearing single digits look ridiculous.

 

As far as NBAers wearing 1, my point still stands.  It doesn't look very good IMHO and I don't think it's terribly original, but if they own it and thrive in, great for them.

 

 

I wasn't out to make this into a cluster, but here we are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2020 at 2:52 PM, Jt0323 said:

Sucks that the stitched version is sold out of basic sizes! They sold quick

My question is why Fanatics is even offering this product if they can't ship it out until November?  

 

Fanatics grinds my gears so much with this kind of crap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, beachperroAZ said:

My question is why Fanatics is even offering this product if they can't ship it out until November?  

 

Fanatics grinds my gears so much with this kind of crap.

 

Pre-ordering is a thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Olmec said:

#1 is a weird one. For me, when I see it on likeable players like Moon, Luongo, and Mugsy, I don't even acknowledge it. But on a player like Cam Newton, it draws attention in the wrong way... cockiness. 

 

Cockiness is just confidence you can't back up.  ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The #1 thing is silly.  It's not my favorite number, but it's not one that I associate with arrogance at the professional level.  If you make it that far, and want to wear 1, then do it.  Even if it was about ego, then good!  I want my players to think highly of themselves and have an ego.  Especially guys like QBs and receivers.

 

If there's one position in all of professional sports who should be defined by ego, it's a professional quarterback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, beachperroAZ said:

My question is why Fanatics is even offering this product if they can't ship it out until November?  

 

Fanatics grinds my gears so much with this kind of crap.

Yeah its crazy. Its annoying that every site is selling from the same place. If you buy from MLB.com, NFL.com, Fanatics, LIDS, DICKS Sporting goods, its all the same thing. If its sold out at one, its sold out at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CherryMX said:

Goalies wearing single digits is kind of silly, IMHO.  Those are defenseman numbers, yo.  Plus with all the padding and bulk of their uniforms, goalies wearing single digits look ridiculous.

 

Except that #1 is the traditional goalkeeper number.  The original goalkeeper number.  Like from when numbers were first introduced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Olmec said:

#1 is a weird one. For me, when I see it on likeable players like Moon, Luongo, and Mugsy, I don't even acknowledge it. But on a player like Cam Newton, it draws attention in the wrong way... cockiness. spacer.png

So in your defense, its not the number its the person?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

So in your defense, its not the number its the person?

If you drive a Rolls Royce, that’s fine whatever, but if you drive a Rolls Royce and are a cocky a**hole about it, then yeah it becomes a problem.

 

99% of the time Cam Newton seems to view himself as a God sent gift to the world and he’s untouchable. Him wearing #1 bolsters that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jt0323 said:

Yeah its crazy. Its annoying that every site is selling from the same place. If you buy from MLB.com, NFL.com, Fanatics, LIDS, DICKS Sporting goods, its all the same thing. If its sold out at one, its sold out at all. 

 

Monopolies are bad for consumers.

 

Fanatics sucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

If you drive a Rolls Royce, that’s fine whatever, but if you drive a Rolls Royce and are a cocky a**hole about it, then yeah it becomes a problem.

 

99% of the time Cam Newton seems to view himself as a God sent gift to the world and he’s untouchable. Him wearing #1 bolsters that.

^ this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

Monopolies are bad for consumers.

 

Fanatics sucks.

It really does. Even the $150 jerseys are screen printed with numbers if it has more than one layer. I hate Fanatics quality

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • TBGKon locked this topic
  • LMU unlocked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.