NFL 2020

FormerLurker

15 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Honestly, they’re probably just using up old stock instead of letting it go to waste. When a change like this is made, equipment staff can have tens of thousands of dollars of unused numbers and letters left over, so I’d guess that because the change is so subtle, they’re riding it out to save some pennies.

Hmm save thousands to look like an underfunded lower division high school or college. I have to think that a full set of numbers and letters are shipped as a package deal in the annual jersey order so using old numbers isn't saving you any $. Additionally I would imagine nike is none too happy that their customer is displaying their on-field product so poorly and would have even chipped in to cover the costs if they knew pats were going with a scattershot approach this season.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Hmm save thousands to look like an underfunded lower division high school or college. I have to think that a full set of numbers and letters are shipped as a package deal in the annual jersey order so using old numbers isn't saving you any $. Additionally I would imagine nike is none too happy that their customer is displaying their on-field product so poorly and would have even chipped in to cover the costs if they knew pats were going with a scattershot approach this season.

Nike pays the NFL, not the other way around. Pretty sure teams get at least one complete set of unis at no charge. IIRC Reebok provided NFL team with two sets of all unis, then charged teams for anything above that.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's possible it's a taloring issue. It's been said that teams are having more trouble getting jerseys specially re- taylored due to covid, so maybe some players are pulling out last year's color rush jerseys which presumably are already cut to spec.

That doesn't explain the weird mix and match numbers, tho.

11 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

It's possible it's a taloring issue. It's been said that teams are having more trouble getting jerseys specially re- taylored due to covid, so maybe some players are pulling out last year's color rush jerseys which presumably are already cut to spec.

That doesn't explain the weird mix and match numbers, tho.

There were none that were mix and matched numbers yesterday, none had the nfl 100 logo from last year though

18 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Nike pays the NFL, not the other way around. Pretty sure teams get at least one complete set of unis at no charge. IIRC Reebok provided NFL team with two sets of all unis, then charged teams for anything above that.

Even better point articulating there is likely no savings in mixing old/new numbers.

On 9/13/2020 at 5:03 PM, browna said:

TV Cameras in Cincy seem to blowing out all things white, which is what's making the Chargers jerseys look like that, has nothing to do with the uniform design.  

Look at the shots of the sideline and end lines, blown out whites. 

Thanks for pointing that out.  I had such a hard time looking at that game and couldn't put my finger on why.

I look forward to seeing the Chargers uniform in action and properly white balanced.

1 hour ago, Chawls said:
How do we feel about Stefon Diggs wearing grey cleats and mouthguard to match the Bills grey facemask?

I hate grey facemasks in most any cases and actually really dig this look. The accessories better help the facemask look like it actually belongs in the set and the cool grey color is a nice compliment to Buffalo's color scheme.

spacer.png

NFL is starting to turn into college or even high school with the way their uniforms are being worn. Exposed legs, long t-shirts under jerseys, mismatched socks, and mismatched shoes just looks completely amateur.  You've made it to the highest level of your profession - why do you want to dress like you're in the lowest?  It's like graduating medical school and then showing up to do your first surgery in a stained novelty-t, cargo shorts, white tube socks, and slides.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, BBTV said:

NFL is starting to turn into college or even high school with the way their uniforms are being worn. Exposed legs, long t-shirts under jerseys, mismatched socks, and mismatched shoes just looks completely amateur.  You've made it to the highest level of your profession - why do you want to dress like you're in the lowest?  It's like graduating medical school and then showing up to do your first surgery in a stained novelty-t, cargo shorts, white tube socks, and slides.

Eventually the NFL will put an end tonthis.....I'm all for swag and looking sweet...but there is a line that needs to be drawn in the sand....professionalism needs to be restored at some extent 

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

I don't really have an issue with it, these guys are individuals and if they want to adjust the uniform a little to fit their style or be more comfortable I'm ok with that. Uniforms exist to distinguish the teams, identify the players, and establish a team brand. As long as the first two are met and the team is ok with their alterations I don't care that much. As long as things like undershirts and cleats are within team colors and the uniforms are reasonably consistent between team members then I'm alright. 

Just now, fouhy12 said:

I don't really have an issue with it, these guys are individuals and if they want to adjust the uniform a little to fit their style or be more comfortable I'm ok with that. Uniforms exist to distinguish the teams, identify the players, and establish a team brand. As long as the first two are met and the team is ok with their alterations I don't care that much. As long as things like undershirts and cleats are within team colors and the uniforms are reasonably consistent between team members then I'm alright. 

Adjusting the uniform makes it 1) not uniform, and 2) defeats the purpose of paying designers to make it look a certain way.

You're welcome to your opinion, but I'd assume that anyone that cares enough about uniforms to join a site about uniforms would want the uniforms to be worn as designed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Adjusting the uniform makes it 1) not uniform, and 2) defeats the purpose of paying designers to make it look a certain way.

You're welcome to your opinion, but I'd assume that anyone that cares enough about uniforms to join a site about uniforms would want the uniforms to be worn as designed.

I've been on this forum for the better part of a decade, I do care a lot about them. I would absolutely prefer if they're worn as designed, and consistency is key. I'm just not bothered enough by the alterations we see from player to player in the NFL to think we need to make changes or anything. I'd prefer if the rules on sock wearing were enforced a little more and that there was more consistency there as a whole, especially with players who show the bare minimum of the uniform sock or none at all. But I don't really care about cleats or undershirts as long as they're somewhat reasonable and within team colors. 

There's 53 players on each team, I don't expect the uniform to look exactly the same on each one. This isn't the military, it's sports, and there's room for a little bit of individuality. I have no issue with a team enforcing the current rules more or creating additional rules to create more uniformity between players, but I also don't think those are a necessity. 

I'll 100% agree with on socks, every player should have the same color socks. This is an even bigger issue when the socks have stripes because they should be consistent from player to player. I would like to see more standardization there, but I also wouldn't all the status quo "amateurish." 

18 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

Just bring back mandatory white bottom socks and maybe a base cleat color (light v dark) and i'm fine with everything else. 

Cleveland Browns To Wear Orange Pants Against Cincinnati Bengals

September 17, 2020 - 21:40 PM

Though the Cleveland Browns new uniforms received rave reviews after their unveiling in mid-April, fans couldn’t help but notice the lack of orange pants as an option. But as we hinted at the time, that’s because they were saving them for a special occasion. Well, that day has arrived. The

Read More...

I have this affliction were I don't notice socks at all. To me, a uniform is the helmet, jersey and pants. Those are the uniform elements I notice; I think I'm happier that way.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Look at 82.  Why on earth would you want to look like that?   It can't be comfortable to have a shirt like that under the jersey, so is it some kind of statement?

1166821755-850x560.jpeg

Then there's these clowns.  26 and 75 look like they just rolled out of bed and into an NFL game.

13024833_web1_AP_19321780902279.jpg

Archived