NFL 2020

FormerLurker

IMO a Falcons redesign should utilize as little grey as possible, keeping it to trim while focusing on red/black. I'm not sure why but heavily red and grey/silver uniforms always look unbelievably dreary and drab to me.

As for the Redskins, they've got a great colour scheme. I don't like the idea of a bunch of teams going primarily white. Show off your colours, why would you want to wear your white jersey for almost the entire year.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

Especially the Eagles. Not sure whose idea it was to go with the God-awful midnight green uniforms with black facemask/black accents. But they were awful when they were first introduced and are even worse now. The Eagles current set is on the same level of bad as those Blue/Silver/Black Lions uniforms that they recently replaced. They come from the 1990's era of "lets add black to everything because black sells!". The Eagle head logo on the sleeve is horrendous too. There are high school teams with better secondary logos than that Eagle head. Back to the kelly green with the flying Eagle PLEASE.

Hopefully all or some of the above will be updated in 2020.

I get that the midnight green isn't everyone's cup of tea, and there are design flaws with the current uniform, but this seems to reek of hyperbole.  First, they had black since the mid '80s.  They certainly increased their use of it, but they were green, silver, and black prior to the '96 change.  Second, I don't think I've ever read a criticism of the eagle-head logo.  In fact, while I understand arguments that their uniform is dated (i don't 100% disagree with this), I think the logo is the one thing that really isn't.  I'd say it's the archetype of the contemporary logo - bold lines, aggressive but not cartoonish, easily reproducible at any size, and has proportions that let it be used on a jersey sleeve, hat, shirt, and most importantly, social media avatar (which wasn't even a thing when it came out.)

350x197  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

I've seen the Cardinals, Panthers, Falcons, and Patriots mentioned as teams that have extremely outdated late 90's/early 2000's uniforms that are in desperate need of an update. I agree on all fronts.

I'll also throw in the Ravens and Eagles. Both extremely outdated uniform sets from the same era mentioned above.

Especially the Eagles. Not sure whose idea it was to go with the God-awful midnight green uniforms with black facemask/black accents. But they were awful when they were first introduced and are even worse now. The Eagles current set is on the same level of bad as those Blue/Silver/Black Lions uniforms that they recently replaced. They come from the 1990's era of "lets add black to everything because black sells!". The Eagle head logo on the sleeve is horrendous too. There are high school teams with better secondary logos than that Eagle head. Back to the kelly green with the flying Eagle PLEASE.

Hopefully all or some of the above will be updated in 2020.

The Ravens uniforms are perfectly fine. They just need stripes on the black pants and a purple sock option to wear with them.

So are the Panthers, Panthers are a top 5-10 uni in the league, IMO. In both of these cases, it's careful what you wish for situation. Look at the Titans.

The Patriots are dated but the best of the worst from the Reebok era. They should go to the color rush jersey with silver pants, or white pants and make the helmet white.

The Cardinals, Falcons and Eagles I agree all need to be changed. Cardinals and Falcons are extremely dated and I've always hated the midnight green, although it looks better with nike. The reebok jerseys looked especially bad in certain lighting.

2 hours ago, VikWings said:

The Ravens uniforms are perfectly fine. They just need stripes on the black pants and a purple sock option to wear with them.

So are the Panthers, Panthers are a top 5-10 uni in the league, IMO. In both of these cases, it's careful what you wish for situation. Look at the Titans.

The Patriots are dated but the best of the worst from the Reebok era. They should go to the color rush jersey with silver pants, or white pants and make the helmet white.

The Cardinals, Falcons and Eagles I agree all need to be changed. Cardinals and Falcons are extremely dated and I've always hated the midnight green, although it looks better with nike. The reebok jerseys looked especially bad in certain lighting.

The Falcons and Cards desperately need new unis (not new logos, since I think their logos are both pretty great). I can see the Pats likely changing their logo and uniform once Brady and Bill are gone to signify a new era and reinvigorate interest in the team and its merchandise since they won't have the same bankable talent for profit. Due to the fact the Eagles and Ravens have only really been successful in the uniforms they've been wearing since the 90s, I don't see either changing them soon.

I really pray the Bengals change their outdated Reebok unis too, but knowing the pettiness and cheapness of the ownership, I do not expect it. Same goes with the Giants, who I really think should move their color rush uniform to be a full time away (sans the "GIANTS" helmet) and add a bit more detail to the bland/bare home uniform. 

17 hours ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

A Falcons redesign should begin and end with this exact uniform. Anything else is 100% the wrong answer.

I'm right there with you.

Between the Bills and the Falcons, at least one of these teams should be wearing their classic red helmets. Since the Bills aren't going to do it, the Falcons should.

8 hours ago, VikWings said:

Ravens just need a number font update.  Their Color Rush number colors also look better and their helmet stripe also needs to be updated or deleted.

Panthers indeed have a great look and would benefit from a minor update to their striping on the helmet and uniform.  

Agree on the Pats, Cards, Eagles, Falcons and Bengals....it’s time to move on from the Reebok era (it was time 8 years ago).

3 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

I'm right there with you.

Between the Bills and the Falcons, at least one of these teams should be wearing their classic red helmets. Since the Bills aren't going to do it, the Falcons should.

I'm not sure you're older than me but I don't consider the Bills red helmets classic they were white ( like now) before they were red whereas the Falcons were red before black.

14 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I get that the midnight green isn't everyone's cup of tea, and there are design flaws with the current uniform, but this seems to reek of hyperbole.  First, they had black since the mid '80s.  They certainly increased their use of it, but they were green, silver, and black prior to the '96 change.  Second, I don't think I've ever read a criticism of the eagle-head logo.  In fact, while I understand arguments that their uniform is dated (i don't 100% disagree with this), I think the logo is the one thing that really isn't.  I'd say it's the archetype of the contemporary logo - bold lines, aggressive but not cartoonish, easily reproducible at any size, and has proportions that let it be used on a jersey sleeve, hat, shirt, and most importantly, social media avatar (which wasn't even a thing when it came out.)

350x197  

No hyperbole here. I'm genuinely passionate about how bad I think the current Eagles uniforms and Eagle head logo are.

And yes, they had black as a sparingly used accent color for the outlines of things, But, after 1996, they followed the mid/late 1990's trend and went ham with the black, tarting up the numbers, wing logos, and face masks with it on the midnight green monstrosities.

The Eagles would have been much better off with a slight update/modernization of the Randall Cunningham era unforms and flying Eagle logo. Hopefully, they do it with the upcoming updates that are being hinted at in the not too distant future.

13 hours ago, VikWings said:

The current Ravens set is the equivalent of the Michael Jordan era Wizards uniforms aesthetic and outdated-ness. They reek of the late 1990's/Early 2000's.

Thw entire number/letter font needs updated, the Raven head logo needs refreshed/updated, they need to get rid of all traces of gold, and black needs to be toned down ALOT IMO

13 hours ago, VikWings said:

Patriots weren't even Reebok. Those were made in 2000 when they were under Adidas. 

The Eagles need a new shade of green because Nike somehow made it look more blue. Eagles have a fine set and logo, they just need a better shade of green. 

XM4KeeA.png

I've been vocal about the eagles dated look and color scheme so I won't go on about that again. The Ravens need to simplify and get rid of gold (or keep it to a trim color). The gold muddies everything IMO. They should be the NFL version of Northwestern.

38 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

Could you imagine if the Bills were still trying around in this garbage? 

spacer.png

Do the right thing Atlanta, Arizona, Cincinnati.

I'll never understand why they always insisted on wearing those awful monochrome combos for a uniform that wasn't designed for them. This certainly isn't the ideal football uniform either, but it's a big step up from the crap they usually wore in that era:

spacer.png

It's the same annoying habit the Vikings had with their 2006-2012 uniforms. If you're going to use side panels as part of a design, the least you can do is make sure they always match.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

My opinions that no one asked for:

Ravens, lose the helmet stripes, give or take a helmet decal tweak, the rest works for me. 

Falcons, Bring back the black pants, everything else works for me. The only instance of piping i like currently in the league. 

Patriots, Keep the same combos (Home S/N/S/N - Road S/W/N/W) Keep the striped socks on the road. Maybe build off the CR jersey tho i'd personally prefer they include more silver somehow.

Cardinals, go retro, super retro. The piping is bad, the whole uniform is bad. I like grey masks, but theres look like they got it off the shelf at academy. 

Eagles, I used to hate these, felt the midnight green and black and charcoal was too drab, but i kinda dig it now. It's pretty unique in the sports landscape. 

Bengals, Lose the sidepanels. Orange tiger striped sleevecaps. Tweak the numbers. Replace chest logo with wordmark. Perfect uniform. 

Browns, revert to what we all know works. No white mask. 

Panthers, Simplify the striping so that they don't have to have footnotes for shoulder numbers. Maybe a Sans Italic Condensed font to mirror their wordmark. Black Helmets, Burn any existing helmet stripes in the building. 

Titans, Revert to their old set, tweak the numbers, tweak the helmet stripe, Don't wear white on navy. 

Ok, I'm done. Might have to just do my own NFL Updates concept thread soon. Thank you for reading. 

2 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

Titans, Revert to their old set, tweak the numbers, tweak the helmet stripe, Don't wear white on navy. 

Ok, I'm done. Might have to just do my own NFL Updates concept thread soon. Thank you for reading. 

Nor navy on navy. 

3 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

My opinions that no one asked for:

Ravens, lose the helmet stripes, give or take a helmet decal tweak, the rest works for me. 

Falcons, Bring back the black pants, everything else works for me. The only instance of piping i like currently in the league. 

Patriots, Keep the same combos (Home S/N/S/N - Road S/W/N/W) Keep the striped socks on the road. Maybe build off the CR jersey tho i'd personally prefer they include more silver somehow.

Cardinals, go retro, super retro. The piping is bad, the whole uniform is bad. I like grey masks, but theres look like they got it off the shelf at academy. 

Eagles, I used to hate these, felt the midnight green and black and charcoal was too drab, but i kinda dig it now. It's pretty unique in the sports landscape. 

Bengals, Lose the sidepanels. Orange tiger striped sleevecaps. Tweak the numbers. Replace chest logo with wordmark. Perfect uniform. 

Browns, revert to what we all know works. No white mask. 

Panthers, Simplify the striping so that they don't have to have footnotes for shoulder numbers. Maybe a Sans Italic Condensed font to mirror their wordmark. Black Helmets, Burn any existing helmet stripes in the building. 

I agree with everything here, EXCEPT for one little thing. The Panthers look just fine with Block Numbers, and look Perfect with the Silver Helmet.

I never understand the people say to not change the Panthers Uniforms, but to get a Black, Blue, or White Helmet. That would leave the only Silver being the Pants, and with tiny slivers coming from the Shoulder Stripes.

da0Lbhs.png

Archived