NFL 2020

FormerLurker

54 minutes ago, See Red said:

Geez... they look terrible here, especially on... is that Harold Hasselbach?  I think these uniforms actually aged really well on the newer templates, though.  Navy is definitely the worst look.  I wouldn't be opposed to them going to something like the color rush but the current uniforms are still fine to me.  One thing I hope they do is keep the current numbers.

I am guessing that they pulled these on right out of box and modeled them without any personal alterations. Even for that era the the fit looks off and I don't remember them looking that ill fitting. By the end of the rbk era they looked horribly mangled but I do agree that the nike vapor template has done wonders to keep the design aging somewhat gracefully.

9 minutes ago, guest23 said:

I am guessing that they pulled these on right out of box and modeled them without any personal alterations. Even for that era the the fit looks off and I don't remember them looking that ill fitting. By the end of the rbk era they looked horribly mangled but I do agree that the nike vapor template has done wonders to keep the design aging somewhat gracefully.

It's a look that's definitely benefitted from the trends like smaller shoulder pads and the modern cuts of uniforms because even below it looks a lot worse than it does now.  Helps that the numbers are smaller now too.

shannon-sharpe-during-the-denver-broncos

I wonder why XXL shoulder pads became a thing in the first place.  Was it just an attempt for players to appear as large as possible?  When I played in HS in the '90s and was fitted for pads, I always ended up with huge shoulder pads, and it really limited mobility.  If I could do it over again, I'd definitely wear ones that were more in line with my actual body size.  I don't think it would sacrifice much protection.

1168294899.jpeg

tyrone-wheatley-michiganjpg-1885fa1bce9f

Footballimage.jpg

29 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I wonder why XXL shoulder pads became a thing in the first place.  Was it just an attempt for players to appear as large as possible?  When I played in HS in the '90s and was fitted for pads, I always ended up with huge shoulder pads, and it really limited mobility.  If I could do it over again, I'd definitely wear ones that were more in line with my actual body size.  I don't think it would sacrifice much protection.

I had the same experience playing in the '90s. Always had gigantic pads and yes, they were definitely limiting, especially when it came to arm movement. 

I just figure that, like anything, it comes down to how technology has evolved the product. I assume they've engineered shoulder pads in away to account for the same or better amount of protection using a fraction of the space. Just like microchips. ;)

1 hour ago, radchad said:

Idk, I quite liked the red facemasks the 49ers used in their previous set:

Granted, the red they were using at the time was a fair bit darker than the scarlet they use now.

Exactly. While I think red would be the next-best option after gray, but I have a feeling the current red would be too bright and stand out too much, in a similar way to how the Patriots’ stands out (although I like it for the Patriots). 

48 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I had the same experience playing in the '90s. Always had gigantic pads and yes, they were definitely limiting, especially when it came to arm movement. 

I just figure that, like anything, it comes down to how technology has evolved the product. I assume they've engineered shoulder pads in away to account for the same or better amount of protection using a fraction of the space. Just like microchips. ;)

Yes at one point the improvement in shoulder pads was simply bigger meant more surface area for the impact to distribute across. The improvement in foam quality allowed for bigger and lighter pads (riddell power, douglas etc) which might have made sense as the game became increasingly more violent due to the increased speed and strength of players across the board. By the late 90's I think players or equipment managers started to realize that the there was an opportunity to get some mobility back and most players started to adopt the option qb template that gave you increased shoulder rotation but kept the contemporary torso protection. The biggest transformation that I remember was when offensive linemen went away from the large capped pads (eg larry allen) to a form that resembled more of an umpires chest protector (eg tony bosselli). Some real equipment folks can clarify my observations or add any other details.

I don't think these guys would have benefited from smaller shoulder pads:

road-warriors-4.jpg

I thought LOD were the :censored:ing coolest in the late 80s/early 90s and I think, looking back, that's still the right opinion to have had.But man, what a couple of lamewads they look like in 2020s aesthetics.

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I don't think these guys would have benefited from smaller shoulder pads:

road-warriors-4.jpg

I thought LOD were the :censored:ing coolest in the late 80s/early 90s and I think, looking back, that's still the right opinion to have had.But man, what a couple of lamewads they look like in 2020s aesthetics.

These guys were just after my youthful wrestling phase, but whoa.
The guy on top looks like a bald accountant heading to an (Oakland) Raiders game. It's his 'free' weekend away from his wife and he's going to the game with a tax client from a construction company. They both have really dumb names for their fantasy football teams and are both comfortably and stereotypically white middle class, but man, they really hate those Broncos. The costumes and the game expenses are all a tax write-off.

On 12/8/2020 at 2:37 PM, Echo said:

I'm Team Blue Facemask for the Bills.

wVOPJHm.jpg

The blue facemasks look sharp. So do the white and so do the gray. I'm not trying to be diplomatic, but the bills look great with any of those three. I generally don't like white facemasks unless the helmet is also white. If it's any other color and there is a white facemask, the white facemask looks like cheap plastic to me. Since the Bills primary color is blue, the blue facemasks look fantastic. On a side note, I love the Bills current uniforms and I love the throwbacks as well. I hate when the Bills wear red, but I'm a big fan of their look otherwise.

11 minutes ago, schlim said:

These guys were just after my youthful wrestling phase, but whoa.
The guy on top looks like a bald accountant heading to an (Oakland) Raiders game. It's his 'free' weekend away from his wife and he's going to the game with a tax client from a construction company. They both have really dumb names for their fantasy football teams and are both comfortably and stereotypically white middle class, but man, they really hate those Broncos. The costumes and the game expenses are all a tax write-off.

the stereotypical middle class accountant on display:

road-warrior-hawk-b32772c9-3559-4b4e-aa7c-f8f3bbf31fb-resize-750.jpeg

Why don't any NFL players wear shoulder pads like that?  Wouldn't having giant spikes like that give them a huge advantage depending on what position they play?  I wouldn't expect a DB to wear them, but a linebacker?  Or running back?  I guess you could argue that someone could pull you down by a spike, but the chances are you'd impale them before they could get a good grip.

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Why don't any NFL players wear shoulder pads like that?  Wouldn't having giant spikes like that give them a huge advantage depending on what position they play?  I wouldn't expect a DB to wear them, but a linebacker?  Or running back?  I guess you could argue that someone could pull you down by a spike, but the chances are you'd impale them before they could get a good grip.

Likewise, there's nothing in the rules that says a dog can't play wide receiver!

• TBGKon locked this topic