NFL 2020

FormerLurker

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

NBA players deciding "well, if we can't dress like carjackers, we'll dress like Urkel" was the very rare Pyrrhic Own.

Well, if it means that dressing like this is on-limits:

spacer.png

Then I’m all for it. Players should skirt the rules and do cosplay! Heck, if one player can sneak a Sailor Scout uniform in, do it!

spacer.png

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, IceCap said:

I need to wear a suit to work on a teacher's salary. 

People being payed pro athlete and pro coach money can certainly be "bothered" to wear them to the arena.

Ideally neither would have to wear "professional clothes". The idea of professional clothes and non-professional clothes is dumb. 

But that's off topic

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

Thanks for being completely dismissive. That's helpful. I know you're the "PLAYERS UBER ALLES" guy but geeze. It's a professional dress code. 

To your point though...

LeBron James can easily afford better suits than I can, and more of them too! 

NBA players wear suits when they arrive at the stadium. I should hope they're not "hot-sweaty" yet. It's not like they play the game in them. Come on now. 

I'm not sure what the connection is between teachers' dress code and NBA coaches'.  Not being dismissive, just not seeing it.   I also made no comment about the players' dress code.  I couldn't care less what a player wears to the game, whether it's (Admiral's words) a 'carjacker outfit' or a suit.  I think the suit is silly and shouldn't be mandated, but if that's his style, then cool.  I think it's silly for a coach to have to wear a suit during a game, when nice-looking athletic wear would be more comfortable and appropriate for the job.

EDIT:  I'm not opposed one bit to dress codes for jobs.  I think it's perfectly reasonable for companies to care about the message their employees are sending while on the clock - and prohibiting certain things (like for example a t-shirt with offensive language or womens titties all over it) is fine, as long as the code makes sense (with me, of course, as the arbiter of 'what makes sense'.)  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Anyone who's watched the NBA for I dunno, the past five years at least would notice that suit-and-tie rules are either gone or not really enforced; you have a couple guys who now use the arena walk-in like its Fashion Week in all its eyeroll-arthouse glory but most guys dress in a smart-casual manner that's not formal but looks perfectly "nice" and broadly in tune with mainstream fashion. Seems logical to me. I think wearing a hoodie from the back of your garage is stupid, but also you don't get points for a suit if it's some ill-fitting polyester number from Kohls, either.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Was the NBA dress code the nail in the coffin for early-aughts gangsta-rap fashion? I feel like it was already on the wane by 2005, with Kanye West ascending while Jay-Z was on top of the world by rapping about mutual funds. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Watching Miami vs New England today makes me realize (more than I already did) how bad the Pats road combo looks. Color balance is terrible (especially the red on the white jersey), and the blue pants/socks combo throws the whole look off. It makes the team's previous road set look much more balanced, especially with the greater prevalence of navy and the white socks.

Grading the New England Patriots' 2019 draft class in retrospect

Did Any Patriots Players Get Traded Before the Deadline?Seriously the white socks need to make a comeback, it would VASTLY improve the look, even if that was the only thing they change.

Or change the shoulder loops from red/navy/red to navy/red/navy, as exemplified by the New York Guardians here (who seemed to pull off the new Patriots uniforms better than the Patriots could).

New York Guardians set a foundation worth watching in 2021

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

4 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Watching Miami vs New England today makes me realize (more than I already did) how bad the Pats road combo looks. Color balance is terrible (especially the red on the white jersey), and the blue pants/socks combo throws the whole look off. It makes the team's previous road set look much more balanced, especially with the greater prevalence of navy and the white socks.

Seriously the white socks need to make a comeback, it would VASTLY improve the look, even if that was the only thing they change.

Or change the shoulder loops from red/navy/red to navy/red/navy, as exemplified by the New York Guardians here (who seemed to pull off the new Patriots uniforms better than the Patriots could).

[images redacted]

I honestly like the new color balance much better. People used to mention how the red facemask stood out too much compared to the rest of the uniform, but now it fits right in along with the red-heavy stripes on the jersey and pants. I do agree though that the away look needs white (or maybe even gray) socks, and the home look desperately needs a pair of gray pants. Gray pants would even look nice on the road, too.

Still, I’m overall more and more confident that the new uniforms are a huge upgrade, for me at least. At first I thought I liked the old number font more, but the new ones have really grown on me (now they just need to use them consistently at home).

49 minutes ago, insert name said:

The stripes on the shoulders and pants not matching bugs the hell out of me. 

But the jersey and the pants aren't the same color. 

I don't have a problem with inverted stripes. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Looks we may have gotten a look at what would have been the Pro Bowl uniforms this year via the Broncos twitter and Madden. These will probably still be worn as part of the virtual event that will instead take place. Seems we will get a red/white/blue version of the gold/gray set from last year's game. Somewhat unoriginal, but not surprised.

It seems the NFC will be in blue as per Aaron Jones's tweet.

Edit: Here is a better look via the Cardinals twitter:

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Archived