What a terrible number set. Easily the worst part of that Eagles uniform, which is saying something. 

I don't think it's as bad as most people do, but there's certainly a lot of issues - though Nike has inadvertently fixed one:

You used to not be able to tell the difference between 6, 8, and 9, because the middle bar was right under the chest part of the shoulder pad and would curve in, so they all looked exactly the same when on the field, and it drove me absolutely nuts.  With the Nike cuts (and smaller pads), they're more distinguishable now.  Not perfect, but better.

The shoulder of the 6 and stem of the 9 probably extend too far.  Either that, or the middle bars should be shifted.  The "1" is bad, and while I actually like the swash(?) on the 2, it doesn't fit in with the rest of the set.  It also doesn't seem to fit with the rest of their identity... though if the alternative would have been a spikey disaster like what the Titans got (since their wordmarks have enough similarities to make the comparison) then I'll take it.  Of course, those aren't the only two options, but we know now far they go these days to match numbers to wordmarks, so that's the likely alternative.

Not that it matters much at this juncture, but I figure I'll point out that the Eagles' current font is descended/based on Dharma Slab:

uBbdYb1xbu50bKlXIKXRmu9LwqVT5QZmPvTXSGP5

(The '97-'08 Jaguars font was also based on this, with its own set of edits.)

How they settled upon a woodworking font to use for their respective identities beats me--and it certainly doesn't explain the extended extender of the "1" in the Eagles' set (or, for that matter, how comparatively small the foot is), but it may at least in part explain the serif in the 2, if you look at the capital letters C, G, and S.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

What a terrible number set. Easily the worst part of that Eagles uniform, which is saying something. 

I go back in forth between the terrible number font, dreary shade of "green", and the odd shift from silver on the logos to charcoal gray on the uniform. It's strange that this mess has stuck around this long.

I do like the sleeve logo, so that's something I guess.

This uniform has lasted longer than any previous Eagles set, which yeah, is a little shocking. 

21 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I go back in forth between the terrible number font, dreary shade of "green", and the odd shift from silver on the logos to charcoal gray on the uniform. It's strange that this mess has stuck around this long.

I do like the sleeve logo, so that's something I guess.

Indeed.

I vastly prefer Kelly green, but even the midnight green could work if it was paired with brighter secondary colors.  Ditch everything but the silver and that could look pretty good.  But as it stands, there’s way too much black in the scheme, and the charcoal is just inexcusable.  The end result is dark and drab. 

^ This has always been my complaint about the Ravens as well. Black and deep purple look bad together. Yes it's ravens/Gothic yadda yadda, but the final look is drab and muddy and ugly.

Absolutely - the two colors bleed together at any distance. 

23 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Indeed.

I vastly prefer Kelly green, but even the midnight green could work if it was paired with brighter secondary colors.  Ditch everything but the silver and that could look pretty good.  But as it stands, there’s way too much black in the scheme, and the charcoal is just inexcusable.  The end result is dark and drab. 

That’s where I’m at, too. Realistically, I don’t know that they’re ever ditching midnight green at this point, so that’s a big hurdle to hypothetically creating a new look. That’s design, though. You have to take the lemons and... make something that passes for lemonade.

Midnight green can totally work as the anchor of a great look. Because it’s so dark, I think it gives you a good opportunity to use a combo of white and silver as the bright colors, which, along with ditching the other dark colors, would go a long way toward making the whole look feel brighter and more contemporary.

22 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

^ This has always been my complaint about the Ravens as well. Black and deep purple look bad together. Yes it's ravens/Gothic yadda yadda, but the final look is drab and muddy and ugly.

I've been really hoping the Ravens push more of a purple/gold theme. There is enough black in the league and i love their shade of purple and gold together. Really unique combo if they get it right

16 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

I've been really hoping the Ravens push more of a purple/gold theme. There is enough black in the league and i love their shade of purple and gold together. Really unique combo if they get it right

To that end - they use very little black in the endzones now (compared to ~2000, when I have memories of black endzones with letters/graphics) so the team may be on the purple/gold train as much as currently possible too. 

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

That’s where I’m at, too. Realistically, I don’t know that they’re ever ditching midnight green at this point, so that’s a big hurdle to hypothetically creating a new look. That’s design, though. You have to take the lemons and... make something that passes for lemonade.

Midnight green can totally work as the anchor of a great look. Because it’s so dark, I think it gives you a good opportunity to use a combo of white and silver as the bright colors, which, along with ditching the other dark colors, would go a long way toward making the whole look feel brighter and more contemporary.

I"ve been saying on this board for more than 10 years that I wouldn't mind seeing a silver helmet with midnight green wings (maybe black outline, maybe white, dunno) and silver pants.  I don't know if that is enough to make it appear less dark/drab, but I think it'd look really sleek.  

do think kelly green will come back, but not for a while, since they've said they want to mix it in as an alt if/when the 1-helmet rule goes away so they can 'test the waters'.

I wonder if the loss in revenue would influence the helmet rule, since that would allow them to market more throwbacks and alts.

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

+1 on the midnight green. At this point, they've established too much equity with it. Even if they feel like they have to keep black around, if they keep it to the slightest bit of trim even that would pass. At any rate, the charcoal gotta go.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I"ve been saying on this board for more than 10 years that I wouldn't mind seeing a silver helmet with midnight green wings (maybe black outline, maybe white, dunno) and silver pants.  I don't know if that is enough to make it appear less dark/drab, but I think it'd look really sleek.  

I've also long thought that to be an excellent idea...perfect way to switch things up if they ever do explore a full-on identity overhaul. Of course, in doing so, they would absolutely have to have silver (okay, gray, because Nike matte fabrics and all) pants to match.  The could work to their favor, though...primary "silver" pants alongside midnight green pants as a change-up. 

On 1/7/2021 at 11:42 AM, Gothamite said:

Ditch everything but the silver and that could look pretty good.

Perhaps simplify the helmet logo as well.

exDsgrp.png

19 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

Perhaps simplify the helmet logo as well.

exDsgrp.png

I like the two middle options the best. I think the green between the silver and white help to separate and define the wing a little bit more. That is my main complaint with the throwback kelly helmet. 

11 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

Eh, I think that would be an uglier version of the Vikings' palette. I'd go with black and lavender.

50 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Eh, I think that would be an uglier version of the Vikings' palette. I'd go with black and lavender.

Look to Hasbro for inspiration.

Class06-toy_Skywarp.jpg
800px-SiegeERSkywarp.jpg

An appropriately bright purple, one that balances red and blue almost 50/50, would be best with black.

4 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

I like the two middle options the best. I think the green between the silver and white help to separate and define the wing a little bit more. That is my main complaint with the throwback kelly helmet. 

The two middle are the worst.

Any outline cannot be the same color as the shell or it looks washed out.  THe others are superior.  

Another option is no outline, and either flat silver - or silver/charcoal wing.  Strokes are overrated.

NFL Wildcard Saturday Uniform Matchups

January 9, 2021 - 17:57 PM

The 2020 NFL Playoffs kickoff (it really is the easiest pun) this afternoon with three games from the wildcard round. Here we’re just giving you a preview of what the six teams will be wearing as they take the field and begin their conquest for a Super Bowl LV championship

Read More...