5 hours ago, FormerLurker said:

Because they’re a sponsor. All these ads that are run are shot right now to be ready for the fall. It’s part of a process in LA called “pilot season” where they film pilot episodes for tv shows set to debut in the fall, but also commercials as well. 

Kansas Citian here. That photo was taken on a bridge in the Plaza in Kansas City, MO, not in LA. It also features 60th Anniversary flags in the background, which is being celebrated this season, not next. The biggest thing you have going for the matte helmet theory is that the NFL sticker is not the NFL100 logo, but even that doesn’t seem like enough to support this theory. I think photo editing is our culprit here.

Because I really havent paid attention since high school, is clear hardware even legal? Also, maybe the helmet is real. Doesn't mean it's an official helmet, could be a fan customization. 

43 minutes ago, cbrock126 said:

That photo was taken on a bridge in the Plaza in Kansas City, MO, not in LA.

He didn't say it was in LA lol. Just that the process of "pilot season" originated there...

8 hours ago, LMU said:

The picture is definitely matte.  The only part that's reflective is the decal.

Does that prove a change is happening? Not yet.

Not sure about that. 

The Chiefs' helmet can look matte except for the one spot the sun is hitting it.

k9eiphq3j2lvnvzayvvm

chiefs.jpg?w=816

These aren't matte helmets either although you could make an argument they kinda look matte:

0c5afe20-836b-11e9-b7ff-8f575d0df779

The fact the grass is dark green (bottom right corner) in the Empower Retirement photo also suggests it's not a photo taken in December or January in Kansas City.

You can clearly see some reflections in the back of the helmet below the vent. I don’t think that’s a matte helmet. It doesn’t help that the glare happens to be on the decal. 

2 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Because I really havent paid attention since high school, is clear hardware even legal? Also, maybe the helmet is real. Doesn't mean it's an official helmet, could be a fan customization. 

Clear is allowed. It’s pretty common for that ratchet type of snap

16 hours ago, FormerLurker said:

Let’s play spot the difference. Someone let the cat out of the bag early. Told you I wasn’t full of it.

spacer.png

You also said they were getting a new logo.

Mods, how long are you going to let this guy continue?

On 12/30/2019 at 12:25 PM, FormerLurker said:

I’m not privy to the color scheme or logo change or any of that, but I do know that this is a full Nike rebrand, more like Seattle than Jacksonville.

WTF

"FULL REBRAND YOU GUYS!!!!!"

"The change is to a matte helmet!!!!"

All quotes from the same :censored:ing person. 

I know I've been "banned" from posting in this thread but I need to put an end to this madness.

The chiefs are NOT changing! 

17 minutes ago, Teal said:

I know I've been "banned" from posting in this thread but I need to put an end to this madness.

The chiefs are NOT changing! 

I never thought I’d say this, but thank you!

However, I still want the Chiefs to wear grey face masks.

Under certain lighting conditions, the Chiefs' helmets can look very matte. Here's another example.

spacer.png

I think that's what's going on here. 

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I never thought I’d say this, but thank you!

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I've been a Chiefs fan since Montana went there in '93.  And I love the vintage feel of a Grey facemask on the right team.

The Chiefs, as they are now, are not that team.  It just doesn't look right to me.

When it DID look right, it was with their Dallas Texans throwback uniforms about 10 years ago.  Ironically, Mike Vrabel wore them.

The Grey facemask just worked better with the simple Dallas Texans logo, no sleeve stripes, TV numbers on sleeve, minimized Gold number trim, and most importantly, Black footwear & gloves.  For some reason, the even more simplified uniform & logo, coupled with the Black cleats & gloves, just made it feel more cohesive, and more of a call back to that vintage era. 

On their current uniforms now, it looks like they forgot to attach White facemasks and the only other option was Grey.

chiefs-texans-754778.jpg09000d5d8134f78b_gallery_600.jpg

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fthelandryhat.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F11%2F92393513-dallas-cowboys-v-kansas-city-chiefs.jpg.jpg&c=sc&w=736&h=485

Side note:  these photos sure make me appreciate the current Nike jersey even more.

So will there be any NFL team that rips off their design from a CFL team as the Jets did last year?

Assuming that Super Bowl LV will indeed have this logo, the emblem's most glaring flaw in relation to the current Super Bowl logo template is the placement of the Vince Lombardi Trophy, with its very vertical base, between the L and the V -- which creates a massive risk of LV being misread as LIV.

If the NFL insists upon maintaining a Super Bowl emblem template that incorporates and especially emphasizes the Lombardi Trophy, then maybe the trophy should be moved to one side of the Roman numeral in order to minimize ambiguity.

For some reason, I knew the highlighted color was gonna be orange.

We might see something a little new in about a year or two. After they went with the chromed Lombardi trophy and host stadium in the early 2010's, they ditched the host stadium and added color to the base five years later. Since it's been about five with the current ones, that probably means they'll update the template again. The chromed Lombardi trophy will likely stay, but I'm expecting some new element to go along with it.

*Sigh*

I'm not even angry anymore...
...i'm just disappointed.