NFL 2020

FormerLurker

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

Just seems odd to use it two years in a row. 

To me, the use of teal in the logos of two consecutive Super Bowls is easy to understand when both of those games are being played at venues in the state of Florida -- even if only one of those stadia is home to a team whose colors include more or less a variant of teal.

This logo reads more like “LIV” than LIV actually did, and that’s bugging the crap out of me. The trophy reads like an “I” when it’s placed within the text like it has been, and I honestly have no idea how the NFL’s branding team hasn’t figured that out yet.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

6 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

This logo reads more like “LIV” than LIV actually did, and that’s bugging the crap out of me. The trophy reads like an “I” when it’s placed within the text like it has been, and I honestly have no idea how the NFL’s branding team hasn’t figured that out yet.

Probably the same reason they insist on using the same generic template these past few years. Laziness.

3 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Probably the same reason they insist on using the same generic template these past few years. Laziness.

That's just absurd.  They have a team, whether internal or external, with all the time and resources to build something.  It's not like some guys in the board room are like "we can't be bothered - just tweak last year's."  It's part of a cohesive branding strategy, and IMO it works.  When you see that logo on a jersey, you know it's the SB, and you know it's a big game.  Any photo you see can instantly be placed in a SB.  It's better than having some wacky purple and yellow Mardis Gras logo that looks like it could be for one of the 100 special events that they seem to have patches for now.  

IMO this strategy has been successful, and made the SB even a bigger deal.  The only thing lazy is to call any design 'lazy' rather than taking the time to express your criticisms.

While I agree that it looks like LIV and certainly isn't perfect, the overall strategy works.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's just absurd.  They have a team, whether internal or external, with all the time and resources to build something.  It's not like some guys in the board room are like "we can't be bothered - just tweak last year's."  It's part of a cohesive branding strategy, and IMO it works.  When you see that logo on a jersey, you know it's the SB, and you know it's a big game.  Any photo you see can instantly be placed in a SB.  It's better than having some wacky purple and yellow Mardis Gras logo that looks like it could be for one of the 100 special events that they seem to have patches for now.  

IMO this strategy has been successful, and made the SB even a bigger deal.  The only thing lazy is to call any design 'lazy' rather than taking the time to express your criticisms.

While I agree that it looks like LIV and certainly isn't perfect, the overall strategy works.

Because overall branding strategies can't be lazy.

Maybe take a few seconds and define “lazy” in your own words.  Unless you’re too lazy to type more than seven words. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Maybe take a few seconds and define “lazy” in your own words.  Unless you’re too lazy to type more than seven words. 

I can see the argument for Lazy... but in general, it's just bad. It's a bad design. The first incarnation of this system was bad. The second incarnation of this system is also bad.

It's just a bad looking logo and design, and to continue with bad design for the sake of "Branding Consistency" is no excuse. Several other leagues and organizations (NCAA FInal Four comes to mind) have been able to implement a system that allows for consistent branding while also adding in unique design elements each year, to provide an overall better visual experience while not diminishing the brand or good design.

How, or why, the NFL has failed to do this is beyond perplexing, but acting like there is no issue with the current NFL "Championship" brand (Super Bowl, Pro Bowl, AFC/NFL Champ., Divisional Round, Wild Card, Playoffs) is absurd.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

53 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You’re really passive aggressive and upset over a flippant comment over a generic design. It’s lazy because it follows a generic paint by numbers template that requires zero creativity or effort beyond changing the numeral year to year. 

I’m sorry if you’re on the Super Bowl design committee and I ruffled your feathers but maybe this will inspire you.

These logos are worse than when they had the Stadiums in the background. 

There’s no life in them. This is the biggest event of the the year and they present the playoffs and SB with the most boring, unimaginative logos ever. Conference championships don’t even say AFC/NFC CHAMPIONSHIP anymore. It’s just NFL CHAMPIONSHIP which is wrong on many levels. 
It amazes me how much more popular the NFL and NBA got, the more boring their event logos became. 

XM4KeeA.png

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This is 100% correct, and it's just common sense. Calling the NFL lazy for having a branding strategy you don't agree with is, well, lazy. 

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I miss the unique logos as well, but Vet is absolutely correct. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

45 minutes ago, insert name said:

Conference championships don’t even say AFC/NFC CHAMPIONSHIP anymore. It’s just NFL CHAMPIONSHIP which is wrong on many levels.

Are you sure? Despite the field paint using the NFL logo variation of it, all other uses in marketing, speak, and graphics don’t do that. They use this version with the conference logos

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

Archived