NFL 2020

FormerLurker

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I saw an update from the mothership for the Raiders. Apparently they added an outline to their logo with the move to Las Vegas. I think it's a little unnecessary, but if they were gonna do this, they should've made it silver and/or a bit more thick.

g9mgk6x3ge26t44cccm9oq1vl.png         8521_las_vegas_raiders-primary-20201.png

I'm not sure what or why this is. The mothership notes that it's only for use on a white background.

bSLCtu2.png

I’d rather have a Super Bowl winning modern classic.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The 1997-present template is what the Broncos should always wear. It outlasted all imitators and has transcended its original place in time. Let modern looks live, especially when a team’s greatest successes came in them.

The people who want the pre-‘97 uniforms back just don’t get how the currents have been the Broncos’ identity for a whole generation and represent the franchise’s escape from futility. Heck, if my team was on the opposite end of Super Bowl XXIV, I’d want them to completely rebrand after that level of embarrassment.

It's surprising to me to hear anyone refer to the Broncos current uniform as timeless. IMHO it's the very definition of a product of it's time. And even though the Broncos need to have an orange jersey to be the Broncos, that uniform design worked better when the jersey was navy.

But, then again, the 70's/80's look is a product of it's time, too. I think the Broncos need to stay somewhat modern... I just don't think the creaky old design they're currently wearing qualifies as that. They need something new and (tastefully, dammit) modern that utilizes that beautiful and unique bright blue for the helmet. They could even keep a bit of navy for trim, since there'd be enough contrast between navy and the handsome somewhere-between-royal-and-sky blue.

Wow. Bunch of smartass wiseguys on this forum.

Seriously, I can't stand the toxic environment here. I keep leaving for a while and then coming back hoping this site has gotten it's act together. But it's futile. it's the definition of insanity. It's never going to change. This isn't a nice place at all.

5 minutes ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

Seriously, I can't stand the toxic environment here. I keep leaving for a while and then coming back hoping this site has gotten it's act together. But it's futile. it's the definition of insanity. It's never going to change. This isn't a nice place at all.

Pot, meet kettle.

31 minutes ago, GFB said:

...but the quality of a design is absolutely tied to its longevity. 

Indeed! I honestly consider it a top ten uniform in the NFL. It did panels right, adapted well to new templates, and handled the color scheme pretty well.

It doesn’t need modernizing or updating, it needs protection from overzealous olds who want the team to bring back that light blue (which always looked terrible, IMO) or wish for the team to regress to the look they wore when they were the NFC’s whipping boy in the Super Bowl.  

43 minutes ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

I mean there is definitely some of that. But I imagine that’s the case for any forum.

1 hour ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

If you think this site is bad, wait until you see the rest of the internet!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Indeed! I honestly consider it a top ten uniform in the NFL. It did panels right, adapted well to new templates, and handled the color scheme pretty well.

It doesn’t need modernizing or updating, it needs protection from overzealous olds who want the team to bring back that light blue (which always looked terrible, IMO) or wish for the team to regress to the look they wore when they were the NFC’s whipping boy in the Super Bowl.  

Let me be clear, I was speaking about design in general and not specifically about the Broncos. A critical component of good design is the ability to stand the test of time. It doesn’t matter if you’re designing a logo or a soda can or a coffee table or a user interface... how well will it hold up as trends rise and fall and rise again?

I don’t believe the Broncos brand is without warts; however, considering that it has outlasted Nike’s Dolphins/Jags/Browns/Bucs looks, all of the Reebok looks that came around including the navy Bills/Jaguars/Seahawks/piping-Vikings/Jags/Falcons, and other late 90s looks like the original pewter Bucs/GSOT Rams/maroon-49ers, has to account for something. Really, the only comparable brand to the Broncos at this point is the Eagles‘ brand.

And it’s not like the reason the Broncos still have the design is simple stubbornness; the identity works with navy jerseys or orange jerseys, a modern jersey with side panels or a conservative template with sleeve stripes, a custom number font or simple block numbers. That sort of flexibility is invaluable.

Personally, I’d be really sad to see them change the helmet design. My opinion is that the current logo is almost a perfect logo for a football helmet: it’s wider than it is tall so it fits on modern helmets, it’s immediately identifiable as a horse from a distance/on TV, and it has a nice creative touch where the three orange stripes on the helmet represent the three orange “waves” of the bronco’s mane from the logo (making the players subtly “Broncos” just like the Rams/Vikings/Bengals helmets make their players into their respective nicknames). I understand the nostalgia for the old logo, but I don’t believe it’s a better helmet design using any of the criteria listed above (it’s very small, not immediate identifiable from a distance, it isn’t symmetrical [logos face in opposite directions on each side of the helmet because it’s a letter]).

Here’s an example of what I was talking about with clarity of the helmet design... I can sit on my couch and make out every bronco on the helmet from the TV broadcast, but with the original logo, it just looks like a small orange and white blob.
usa_today_11358526.0.jpg
USATSI_13829526-e1577240256819-1024x682.

But if you have any arguments in favor of the old logo, I’d be interested in hearing them. 

EDIT:

Here’s a good look at the symmetry between the helmet stripes and the horse’s mane from the logo:

cf3b352dc1f3e5062c60fb1f42bea66a.jpg

2 hours ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

If you meet a said "wiseguy" in the morning then you met a "wiseguy" in the morning... But if all day long you meet a "wiseguy" you may be the "wiseguy"....

22 minutes ago, GFB said:

Here’s an example of what I was talking about with clarity of the helmet design... I can sit on my couch and make out every bronco on the helmet from the TV broadcast, but with the original logo, it just looks like a small orange and white blob.
usa_today_11358526.0.jpg

But if you have any arguments in favor of the old logo, I’d be interested in hearing them. 

These two pictures aren't helping your argument. I'm not sure you could find two pictures that were more different. 

I can easily tell what the logo is on the Elway photos. Maybe they need to brighten the orange just a tad on the navy helmet. 

The real problem with this kind of argument is football games aren't one photo long. They're hours, with multiple camera shots, different lighting, different depths. Using one photo is essentially cherry-picking. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 minutes ago, GFB said:

usa_today_11358526.0.jpg

I think you're right on the helmet logo but the image does show the biggest flaw with the current design, the panels just don't line up in practice. 

2 hours ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

Ahhh yes...it's everyone else's fault that people ridicule you for your closed-minded opinions. 

I thought it was just Twitter where people did this:

1. Post heavily-debatable idea, often ridiculous in nature

2. Get a load of negative feedback

3. Blame everyone and call people names for their feedback of original bad post. 

4. Threaten to quit social media if the echo chamber isn't working

5. Continue to blame people for not agreeing with them

But apparently people think this is a good idea off of Twitter too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived