NFL 2020

FormerLurker

There's two different schools of thought for this argument:

1) Keep a relatively fine uniform element because of the success a team has had in it

2) Upgrade a uniform element solely because it improves the look, regardless of success

Clearly there's passionate people on both sides here. No need to get into a heated argument about it. It's all about preference

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, GFB said:

Here’s an example of what I was talking about with clarity of the helmet design... I can sit on my couch and make out every bronco on the helmet from the TV broadcast, but with the original logo, it just looks like a small orange and white blob.
usa_today_11358526.0.jpg
USATSI_13829526-e1577240256819-1024x682.

But if you have any arguments in favor of the old logo, I’d be interested in hearing them. 

EDIT:

Here’s a good look at the symmetry between the helmet stripes and the horse’s mane from the logo:

cf3b352dc1f3e5062c60fb1f42bea66a.jpg

Still always thought the thick stripe should be at the front of the helmet to more accurately depict a mane

spacer.png

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

1) Keep a relatively fine uniform element because of the success a team has had in it

2) Upgrade a uniform element solely because it improves the look, regardless of success

Clearly there's passionate people on both sides here. No need to get into a heated argument about it. It's all about preference

That's an excellent summation. The 1997 design is fine. It has flaws but its ok. Whether you feel the need to improve it comes down to taste. 

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

These two pictures aren't helping your argument. I'm not sure you could find two pictures that were more different. 

I can easily tell what the logo is on the Elway photos. Maybe they need to brighten the orange just a tad on the navy helmet. 

The only comparison between the two photos was simply the distance away from the player, not positioning or anything like that. 

denver-broncos-youth-shows-maturity-in-w

fi1nl08zx1exizygvfkb.jpg

My point remains that even in these hi-res photos, it's difficult to make out any of details past the "D." You can spot some of the finer details if you know what you're looking at... I'm not sure how many people would be able to guess the line halfway up the D is horse snot.  

If you're someone who is unfamiliar with the Broncos, you probably aren't going to have a clear idea of what that original logo is from any sort of distance, which makes it a poor choice for a helmet logo. 

1 hour ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

Still always thought the thick stripe should be at the front of the helmet to more accurately depict a mane

That's simply not how horse manes look. They are thickest at the back of the neck and they narrow as they move up the head.

GC19-0145_GrangeKnows-Mane-and-Tail-Groo

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The 1997 design is fine.

It's fine — except for the side panels.

The blue jersey is a very bad choice as compared to the signature orange (though this has been fixed); and the helmet logo is cheap nondescript clipart as compared to the iconic D.  But, whatever; if the Broncos want to pull a Padres-style destruction of their visual identity, that's their problem.  These matters pale in comparison to the aesthetic crime of the side panels, because that disaster had consequences far beyond that one team, eventually doing real harm to the aesthetics of the sport overall.  

For a long time it was a given that a shirt was going to be a particular colour; but then, on account of the Broncos, uniform design became infected with a spectacularly bad idea.  Now panels are considered a standard option. (This is why many people get upset when these things come in.  It's not because one team is going to look bad; rather, it's because even the worst ideas can become normalised and entrenched.)

While the correct Broncos look will always be the strong classic one that the team trashed after 1996, I'd be satisfied if the Broncos just removed those stupid panels from the current set.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

There's also the matter of trust in the people making these decisions. Could the last Bucs uniforms have hypothetically been an upgrade over the Super Bowl set? Sure. Could the Eagles improve their current look? Probably. Do I trust Nike in its current form to do so? Not really!

I remember people making similar comments about the Titans' old uniforms before their last change that "they could be so much better" or "all they need to do is ___" and look what they ended up with. The old Titans look, like the Broncos, had its problems, but the devil I know is probably far more tame than the hell Nike's design department could unleash.

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The blue jersey is a very bad choice as compared to the signature orange (though this has been fixed); and the helmet logo is cheap nondescript clipart as compared to the iconic D.  But, whatever; if the Broncos want to pull a Padres-style destruction of their visual identity, that's their problem.  These matters pale in comparison to the aesthetic crime of the side panels, because that disaster had consequences far beyond that one team, eventually doing real harm to the aesthetics of the sport overall.  

For a long time it was a given that a shirt was going to be a particular colour; but then, on account of the Broncos, uniform design became infected with a spectacularly bad idea.  Now panels are considered a standard option. (This is why many people get upset when these things come in.  It's not because one team is going to look bad; rather, it's because even the worst ideas can become normalised and entrenched.)

While the correct Broncos look will always be the strong classic one that the team trashed after 1996, I'd be satisfied if the Broncos just removed those stupid panels from the current set.

I'd go one further and add the sleeve stripes from the Color rush uniforms.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

51 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Isn’t that just saying “It’s fine except for everything about it?” The side panels are the linchpin is the whole uniform. 

I’m anti-side panels as much as anybody but I admit, I think Denver has come closest to making it work. 

9 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Isn’t that just saying “It’s fine except for everything about it?” The side panels are the linchpin is the whole uniform. 

I’m anti-side panels as much as anybody but I admit, I think Denver has come closest to making it work

Which indicates that it doesn't work, if they are only the closest to making it work.

I don't think the old logo is better than the current one (isn't it exhaling steam, not blowing a snot-rocket?). I think the old uniform is better than the current one, but the old one needs adjustment (like the color rush set) to make it work.

It's where I sit.

5 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Which indicates that it doesn't work, if they are only the closest to making it work.

I don't think the old logo is better than the current one (isn't it exhaling steam, not blowing a snot-rocket?). I think the old uniform is better than the current one, but the old one needs adjustment (like the color rush set) to make it work.

I think the side panels almost work, when you combine that with the rest of the uniform (helmet, logo, numbers, socks..) you get something that's passable (C+, B-, exactly as good as Con Air, it depends on how you scale it). 

Generally, I feel Nike's problems have mostly been not knowing when to stop designing a uniform. 

They come up with a really interesting basic idea and then add bumper stickers to it until its a jumbled mess. The uniforms they've under designed (Jets and Jaguars 2) have come out just fine. 

Let's take the Titans, the sword idea isn't terrible in itself: have a unifying element on the pants and jersey. Solid. Then they decided they needed a custom number font (umm, ok)... And a helmet spike (yikes!)... Now there's not enough Columbia blue so it needs to go somewhere (mmkay).... But apparently not the collar (ruh roh)....

If they'd just stopped while they were ahead, the Titans would have come out nicely. 

The Browns: Focus on the Brashier helmet striping as the unifying idea. Cool beans. We could reference the Otto Graham teams with some 3D numbers (Cool cool cool)... But those numbers should be custom (uh...).... And on an additional backdrop (wait, hold on).... The stripes should extend further on the shoulders (ok that sorta works)... And with it stopping short on the pants we need something else there (hang on, no you don't)... How about the team names (OH GOD NO)... And also the city name on the jersey (WHY?!!!).... NOW WE NEED CONTRAST STITCHING!!! (the horror... the horror...) ....

And lets do a sublimated pattern on the helmet stripes (wind whistles through bleached skull...)

Ok we need to throw the "X team won X amount of championships wearing this uniform therefore, it needs to stay forever" argument in the toilet where it belongs.

Look no further than the New England Patriots. All versions of the Flying Elvis uniform are absolutely some of the fugliest designs in NFL history and probably sports history.

But, according to the "logic" thrown out there by the "BeKuzz...Championshipz" crowd, the New England Patriots train wreck of a uniform is a "timeless classic that should be around forever".

*Drops MIC*

1 hour ago, GFB said:

The only comparison between the two photos was simply the distance away from the player, not positioning or anything like that. 

denver-broncos-youth-shows-maturity-in-w

fi1nl08zx1exizygvfkb.jpg

My point remains that even in these hi-res photos, it's difficult to make out any of details past the "D." You can spot some of the finer details if you know what you're looking at... I'm not sure how many people would be able to guess the line halfway up the D is horse snot.  

If you're someone who is unfamiliar with the Broncos, you probably aren't going to have a clear idea of what that original logo is from any sort of distance, which makes it a poor choice for a helmet logo. 

That's simply not how horse manes look. They are thickest at the back of the neck and they narrow as they move up the head.

GC19-0145_GrangeKnows-Mane-and-Tail-Groo

Ohhh ok. Good call. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 minute ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

Ok we need to throw the "X team won X amount of championships wearing this uniform therefore, it needs to stay forever" argument in the toilet where it belongs.

Look no further than the New England Patriots. All versions of the Flying Elvis uniform are absolutely some of the fugliest designs in NFL history and probably sports history.

But, according to the "logic" thrown out there by the "BeKuzz...Championshipz" crowd, the New England Patriots train wreck of a uniform is a "timeless classic that should be around forever".

*Drops MIC*

Not really. The Broncos championships were only brought up in response to your tantrum about the Bears being the only ones allowed to wear certain colours because they're old. This entire post is a non-sequitur filled with fallacies.

44 minutes ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

Look no further than the New England Patriots. All versions of the Flying Elvis uniform are perhaps some of the fugliest designs in NFL history and probably sports history.

FTFY

45 minutes ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

But, according to the "logic" thrown out there by the "BeKuzz...Championshipz" crowd

LOL 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

As a Broncos fan born in 1999, the current look is all I’ve ever known and for that reason, I’d be sad to see it go. There is absolutely some bias clouding my judgement, but I’ve always thought Denver has been able to pull off side panels for some reason. While I understand the appeal of the Elway era uniforms, I’m not sure how I’d feel about them coming back full time. For one, I think both the current logo and shade of blue are miles better than the retro stuff, and I love the current number font, so if they do ever change, which I don’t want to happen, nor do I think will happen any time soon, I would hope that those three pieces remain. Ironic, as I type this I’m wearing a retro royal blue t-shirt with the classic logo. 

But back on where this started, yeah, it doesn’t mean a thing that the Bears also wear navy and orange. Two teams can have similar colors and be perfectly fine

Archived