NFL 2020

FormerLurker

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

Two really old photos, and two position players that wear slightly longer sleeves than most.... 

What about:

c092825f3d0ef6a9fcf3d5bb695ce22d.jpg

This is why the team shrunk from five to three stripes originally. Many linemen just cut off the end of the sleeve or tucked it up into their pads to avoid loose fabric to grab. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Two really old photos, and two position players that wear slightly longer sleeves than most.... 

What about:

c092825f3d0ef6a9fcf3d5bb695ce22d.jpg

This is why the team shrunk from five to three stripes originally. Many linemen just cut off the end of the sleeve or tucked it up into their pads to avoid loose fabric to grab. 

That’s an old style jersey, you aren’t comparing it to the current cut, Nike has shown that regardless of position they are able to produce full sleeve stripes.

37 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Seems to look just fine in these...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Goddamnit Browns, why did you have to change in 2015...

Even with the Packers, when they wore 1960's Throwbacks vs the Lions on Thanksgiving 2003, it still looked fine on the Ripon Uniform template, which they still use.

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

Two really old photos, and two position players that wear slightly longer sleeves than most.

Well, I thought it was obvious, but the old Bart Start photos were provided to show what the Packers' stripes used to look like, and the two new photos show the exact same stripe patterns on modern Nike jerseys. Looking pretty awesome, I might add.

Oh, and Pouncey is a lineman, with a lineman's jersey cut.

If you turned on a football game for the first time, without knowledge of history and how sleeves used to look, you'd probably wonder why there's half or quarter stripes on the shoulder cap of those jerseys.

It may look "fine" to people that understand that they used to go all the way around and that the footbal uniform has been shrinking, but to a neophyte, it probably looks silly.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If you turned on a football game for the first time, without knowledge of history and how sleeves used to look, you'd probably wonder why there's half or quarter stripes on the shoulder cap of those jerseys.

It may look "fine" to people that understand that they used to go all the way around and that the footbal uniform has been shrinking, but to a neophyte, it probably looks silly.

I disagree, if someone’s gonna question why there’s stripes on a jersey, they’d question why there’s stripes on a long sleeved jersey as well. People, even uneducated ones understand there’s no room for full wrap around stripes, and get that that’s how uniforms are.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

24 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I disagree, if someone’s gonna question why there’s stripes on a jersey, they’d question why there’s stripes on a long sleeved jersey as well. People, even uneducated ones understand there’s no room for full wrap around stripes, and get that that’s how uniforms are.

I wholeheartedly disagree.  "Uneducated" ones would wonder why stripes - design elements that typically extend end-to-end or look around - are just on the sides like "patches".  Think of where else you see stripes - socks (they loop around), helmets (they go from front to back, or taper off), collars (like the packers - all the way around), pants (from top seam to bottom, or taper off.)  

The modern sleeve stripes are unlike any other application of stripes in sports... and maybe even out of sports (would need to think about that.)

I'll never know what it's like to be uneducated about football uniform history, but if I think of some sport that's uniforms I know nothing about, I might think of the stripe patches as some kind of "decoration", like a "rank" or something.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

30 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I might think of the stripe patches as some kind of "decoration", 

That's what they are. Respectfully, I understand your/the opinion and traditionalism that comes with uniforms. But personally I'm under the opinion that the new cut looks fine (save for some extremes, all examples on this page look good to me!). They are decoration. They serve the exact same purpose that they used to. Even though they don't go completely edge to edge. 

3 hours ago, simtek34 said:

Seems to look just fine in these...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Goddamnit Browns, why did you have to change in 2015...

Even with the Packers, when they wore 1960's Throwbacks vs the Lions on Thanksgiving 2003, it still looked fine on the Ripon Uniform template, which they still use.

spacer.png

But even then, that's not the Browns original stripes. They got rid of the spacing between them for the AL version that you've posted. Similar to the packers photo you've shown. 

But one of the nice things about the color rush Browns letters was the use of only three stripes and being jersey or orange color, make it stand out less and look more like it's meant to be there. 

19 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

But even then, that's not the Browns original stripes. They got rid of the spacing between them for the AL version that you've posted. Similar to the packers photo you've shown. 

But that was a Packer throwback to when the road uni only had green/gold stripes with no white. See the pic of Starr from 1969 a few posts above.

Yes - it meshes with the Browns, but it was "correct". 

I'm not sure what my point is.  Carry on 🙂

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

But one of the nice things about the color rush Browns letters was the use of only three stripes and being jersey or orange color, make it stand out less and look more like it's meant to be there. 

But they were the Browns original stripes:

spacer.png

And on your second point, the Browns Color Rush cuts off the stripes on some cuts, while the pre-2015 set doesn't

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I wholeheartedly disagree.  "Uneducated" ones would wonder why stripes - design elements that typically extend end-to-end or look around - are just on the sides like "patches".  Think of where else you see stripes - socks (they loop around), helmets (they go from front to back, or taper off), collars (like the packers - all the way around), pants (from top seam to bottom, or taper off.)  

The modern sleeve stripes are unlike any other application of stripes in sports... and maybe even out of sports (would need to think about that.)

I'll never know what it's like to be uneducated about football uniform history, but if I think of some sport that's uniforms I know nothing about, I might think of the stripe patches as some kind of "decoration", like a "rank" or something.

But you said it yourself, stripes connect two points or loop around. Connect two points or loop around. Maybe it’s just me but it looks like it connects one point to another on the sleeve cap, I don’t know what your trying to say, the stripes on uniforms are fine and an understandable evolution to a football uniform. It isn’t rocket science and most people would say their stripes and not give it a second thought. You’re the only one here saying their not stripes. 

I would bet if I asked people who don’t care at all about football, they would agree with me

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Have the draft hats been posted yet? They are ugly, but at least better than last season.

Weird to see the Browns use the elf on draft hats and helmet on OTA hats. Also wasn't the Rams current logo going away for good? 

Have they ever done the NFL shield in team colors before? Can't remember that ever happening on official (not fashion) merchandise. All I can recall is either RWB, gold or pink. Even color rush hats had full color shields on the back.

34 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Have the draft hats been posted yet? They are ugly, but at least better than last season.

Weird to see the Browns use the elf on draft hats and helmet on OTA hats. Also wasn't the Rams current logo going away for good? 

Have they ever done the NFL shield in team colors before? Can't remember that ever happening on official (not fashion) merchandise. All I can recall is either RWB, gold or pink. Even color rush hats had full color shields on the back.

This is quite the leak and quite the find as we don't hear about Draft Hats til mid-April usually. 

The Browns have the elf instead of the helmet...

Kind of wish these were in team colors instead of black. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Rams logo is blue/white (not royal/gold). The Chargers almost look like they may have dropped the double blue and gone with a single blue that is closer to their alternate they've worn in recent years. Looks like rather minor (if any) changes for the rest of the teams making changes, but it's hard to glean much with the quality of the images. And I suppose some of these could be placeholders.

ESH-Jp3XUAALh3O?format=png&name=900x900

ESH9SMRWkAEeZ1Z?format=jpg&name=medium

ESH8I5PWAAAhGYH?format=png&name=900x900

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Archived