NFL 2020

FormerLurker

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I love the classics.  After we get done berating anybody who doesn't understand that athletic gold is not yellow, can we discuss how awesome gray facemasks are?

Gray facemasks are the best. The saying should be changed from "The greatest thing since sliced bread" to "The greatest thing since gray facemasks" it only makes sense.

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

It stands for "Green Bay" 🤦‍♂️

Having a logo stand for something like "Greatness" is both cheesy and ridiculous. If the Packers meant for it to stand for Green Bay then they should have went with a GB monogram (which I believe is what they had at some point). That being said, their logo is now iconic, adopted by many colleges, high schools, and little leagues. It would be wrong to change it at this point.

42 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Having a logo stand for something like "Greatness" is both cheesy and ridiculous. If the Packers meant for it to stand for Green Bay then they should have went with a GB monogram (which I believe is what they had at some point). That being said, their logo is now iconic, adopted by many colleges, high schools, and little leagues. It would be wrong to change it at this point.

You DO realize that the crap line that Tiki Barber gave during his interviews (that the G stood for greatness) was because he was duped by what he read on Wikipedia, don't you?

It stands for Green Bay.

It's where I sit.

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I think that's the best reason to change it.

Especially since their "GB" monogram is so much better.

Lombardi_GB_cap1.jpg

I disagree on that. This monogram is hard to read.

Excellent!

On 3/3/2020 at 8:44 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

These were worn just a few months ago...

spacer.png

The one advantage in college is the manufacturer logo is on the front. In the pros, these numbers would sit at the very edge of the cuff to fit in the Nike logo. 

On 3/4/2020 at 4:05 PM, FormerLurker said:

Is old gold not yellow? I thought Vegas Gold was metallic.

Old Gold is what the Saints and 49ers use. Athletic gold is what most people associate with yellow. 

23 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Yellow and Athletic Gold are two different colors.

spacer.png

spacer.png

They both are variations of yellow, we just call one athletic gold. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Krz said:

I disagree on that. This monogram is hard to read.

Couldn't agree more. As an LSU fan, I have a similar feeling for the staircase LSU logo used on their baseball caps. Clunky and jumbled, it's much worse than the regular horizontal "LSU" wordmark used on almost every LSU athletic item not related to LSU baseball.

15 hours ago, Dynasty said:

If the Packers meant for it to stand for Green Bay then they should have went with a GB monogram (which I believe is what they had at some point). That being said, their logo is now iconic, adopted by many colleges, high schools, and little leagues. It would be wrong to change it at this point.

14 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

It stands for Green Bay.

The easiest way to solve this problem is to change the name of the city to Greenbay.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The one advantage in college is the manufacturer logo is on the front. In the pros, these numbers would sit at the very edge of the cuff to fit in the Nike logo. 

Old Gold is what the Saints and 49ers use. Athletic gold is what most people associate with yellow. 

They both are variations of yellow, we just call one athletic gold. 

In theory the Saints wear old gold, but in practice it’s long been closer to Vegas gold. I don’t think the Niners have ever called their shade “old gold”. In general, virtually all metallic gold in pro sports today is Vegas gold, which bothers me because I think other shades have more character. But I digress. 

Also...I don’t mind people calling orangeish-yellow athletic gold because I understand that as a shade of yellow. It does bug me when people use “gold” with no qualifiers to refer to colors worn by the 2019 49ers, the 1980 Saints and the 1999 Rams. Or when people call athletic gold just “gold” and nothing else. 

Incidentally...anyone remember how the Packers almost switched to metallic gold in the ‘90s? Can we all agree it’s a good thing that didn’t come to fruition?

Archived