NFL 2020

FormerLurker

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Well, if they’re the home team....

There is NO WAY that the New England Patriots will lose a home game to London. Goodell is so far up Kraft's... Well, let's just say there is no way that the Patriots are playing a home game in London...

14 hours ago, jn8 said:

PSA: The Washington Redskins is still the team name and no one cares what you call them. Whether or not you agree with that is up to you, but there’s no need to call attention to yourself by deliberately emphasizing that you call them something else

13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Also, no need to pressure somebody into saying something they don’t want to say.

You’re both right. 

37 minutes ago, bobt said:

There is NO WAY that the New England Patriots will lose a home game to London. Goodell is so far up Kraft's... Well, let's just say there is no way that the Patriots are playing a home game in London...

and that’s why the whole notion is silly. 

1 hour ago, bobt said:

Not just the Patriots.  Seattle, Dallas, Pittsburgh, the Giants and Green Bay are also pampered favorites of the NFL who get to keep all their home dates while other teams get shipped off.  Green Bay get such preferential treatment they've never even been asked to be the road team in London, which is complete garbage. 

22 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I'm not sure at all that's the case.  Right now Londoners can see a series of teams play, including some that already have a small following in the city.  If you take away the rotating roster of teams playing, and give London a "home team" that's not very good, it's a much harder sell.  

On 3/10/2020 at 10:58 AM, MJWalker45 said:

II don't see the NFL letting one team move in when they can have 15 teams play there each year instead. 

Right.  Each NFL game in London is a special event.  Whereas, if a specific team moved to London, well, that team might stink. And this would crater the interest in the whole affair. (Earlier I mentioned that having a schedule in which the Jaguars played eight straight "road" games in London would be great for the players' quality of life.  This may be so; but that sort of arrangement would not be good for the overall sake of the NFL in London project.)

20 hours ago, JayMac said:

Take the inverse of London's interest in the NFL, America's interest in the Premier League. The PL is wildly popular in the United States but if Bournemouth or Watford were to move to New York or LA, would there be sustainable interest in these clubs? I'd tend to say no.

This is true.  Of course, let's set aside the fact that FIFA rules prohibit a team playing outside of its league's country without specific permission (usually based on the lack of a top-flight league in one of the countries); and let's set aside as well as the lack of a tradition of team relocations in England, such that even the move of Wimbledon Dons to Milton Keynes was considered a big scandal.  By contrast, American sports leagues have no rules preventing the placement of a team in another country; and here team relocations are unremarkable (even if painful for one group of fans). 

But, even if we could imagine a fantasy world in which those factors didn't exist, and in which a U.S.-based team in the Premier League would be possible, the point stands that, while every visit to the U.S. of Man United, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, or Chelsea is a big event, a U.S.-based Premier League team would not sustain popularity if it were not near the top of the league.

19 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Hey now, Fulham is THE London soccer club. 

Fulham is not even "THE Fulham club".

chelsea-map-of-fulham.png

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Fulham is not even "THE Fulham club".

chelsea-map-of-fulham.png

CyZzCnn.png

Depends on what you identify as Fulham, though the stadium is not on Fulham Road.

Fulham is an affluent area of southwest London in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, SW6 located 3.7 miles (6.0 km) south west of Charing Cross. It is situated in between Putney and Chelsea. Two Premiership football clubs, Fulham and Chelsea, are situated in Fulham.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

34 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Right.  Each NFL game in London is a special event.  Whereas, if a specific team moved to London, well, that team might stink. And this would crater the interest in the whole affair. (Earlier I mentioned that having a schedule in which the Jaguars played eight straight "road" games in London would be great for the players' quality of life.  This may be so; but that sort of arrangement would not be good for the overall sake of the NFL in London project.)

Well there have been plenty of stinker games in London over the years as matchups that were thought to be good during the offseason turn out to be loser/loser matchups.

If they are London's team, even those who are huge fans of other teams will come around. I speak from experience as someone who grew up a die hard Chargers fan in San Diego but moved the Seattle. It took 5-10 years but I fully became a Seahawk fan after being inundated with Seahawk news on radio and tv on a daily basis and by the people in town (years before the Chargers moved to LA). If you live in a town, and don't outright hate the town's team, you'll eventually come around to support them. 

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Not just the Patriots.  Seattle, Dallas, Pittsburgh, the Giants and Green Bay are also pampered favorites of the NFL who get to keep all their home dates while other teams get shipped off.  Green Bay get such preferential treatment they've never even been asked to be the road team in London, which is complete garbage. 

It has nothing to do with being 'pampered favorites' - they try to take the home dates away from the teams that aren't locks to sell out every home date... like the Jaguars.  Depending on what source you use, they averaged between 59k-63k ,which while not the worst, isn't selling out.  Pushing teams like that to London reduces their home inventory to 7 or 6, which theoretically improves their chances of selling out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It has nothing to do with being 'pampered favorites' - they try to take the home dates away from the teams that aren't locks to sell out every home date... like the Jaguars.  Depending on what source you use, they averaged between 59k-63k ,which while not the worst, isn't selling out.  Pushing teams like that to London reduces their home inventory to 7 or 6, which theoretically improves their chances of selling out.

That may be, but it's still a decided disadvantage for teams that have to play one less home game, and a decided advantage for any team not asked to make that sacrifice.  And it also doesn't explain why the Packers have never had to go through the hardship of making a midseason cross Atlantic trip.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That may be, but it's still a decided disadvantage for teams that have to play one less home game, and a decided advantage for any team not asked to make that sacrifice.  And it also doesn't explain why the Packers have never had to go through the hardship of making a midseason cross Atlantic trip.

It's professional sports.  It's not about competition.  If it makes it viable to keep a team in a place where it can't sell out, then it makes sense.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

What does this have to do with the Packers?

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

8 minutes ago, Bruhammydude said:

What does this have to do with the Packers?

What does the Packers never having been forced to play a game in London have to do with the Packers?  Is that what you're asking?

Either you don't understand the premise, or I don't understand your question.

Just now, oldschoolvikings said:

What does the Packers never having been forced to play a game in London have to do with the Packers?  Is that what you're asking?

Either you don't understand the premise, or I don't understand your question.

Never mind, I thought we were still talking about the Jags. It would be fun to see my Packers play in London 👀

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I once heard an ESPN analyst refer to them as “The NFL Washington team from the NFC East” and if that isn’t the most extra f***ing thing to call them, I don’t know what is

Bill Baldwell...er, Barnwell always just calls them “Washington”. It’s awkward but I assume he gets big time virtue-signalling points...but I digress. (Also, he never misses a chance to take a dig at running backs and, at times, the very idea of running the football.)

Archived