NFL 2020

FormerLurker

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, henburg said:

I would love the return of those throwbacks as alternates, not full-time replacements. The current Seahawks look is still superior and embodies the team now.

The current embodiment of the team? Yes.

Is it the best overall uniform they’ve had? No.

1 hour ago, Froob said:

That never happened before though.

Actually, that is exactly what's happened before. At first, teams could only wear one alt, either a throwback or color alt and only at home and only twice a year.  Then the only at home restriction went away. Then they allowed a second alt with the color rush program on Thursday nights. Then the only Thursday night restrictions went away and teams could wear them whenever. Then they allowed them to be mixed in with other uniform parts. This is the very definition of chipping away. Now teams can have four jerseys, apparently as many pants as they want, and if there are any restrictions as to how often they can wear them, lots of teams are ignoring them.

This is, without question, the path multiple helmets would take. It just is. 

I feel like the Seahawks’ present uniforms dated pretty fast, and I wasn’t the biggest fan of them to begin with either. They’ve always looked like they tried to fit too many elements together and though it isn’t the biggest mess in the league, it still strikes me as a bit messy anyways. Plus, I’m kind of done with the “action green” or whatever they call it, just kind of feel like these super bright greens and volt yellows in sports have been running their course for some time.

On the other hand, the throwbacks still stand out to me as a stronger and more cohesive design that still encapsulates the northwest very well. The Canucks prove that royal blue and kelly green can still be a very relevant PNW color scheme, and I think it would look very much “in” place rather than “out of” for the Seahawks today. I wouldn’t be too worried about whether or not it encapsulates who the Seahawks are now either, considering the face of the franchise apparently loves them so much. That’s a pretty good endorsement to have! Keep the modern hawk head, go back to the original colors and a throwback-inspired set, and I think you call it good from there.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

8 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I feel like the Seahawks’ present uniforms dated pretty fast, and I wasn’t the biggest fan of them to begin with either. They’ve always looked like they tried to fit too many elements together and though it isn’t the biggest mess in the league, it still strikes me as a bit messy anyways. Plus, I’m kind of done with the “action green” or whatever they call it, just kind of feel like these super bright greens and volt yellows in sports have been running their course for some time.

On the other hand, the throwbacks still stand out to me as a stronger and more cohesive design that still encapsulates the northwest very well. The Canucks prove that royal blue and kelly green can still be a very relevant PNW color scheme, and I think it would look very much “in” place rather than “out of” for the Seahawks today. I wouldn’t be too worried about whether or not it encapsulates who the Seahawks are now either, considering the face of the franchise apparently loves them so much. That’s a pretty good endorsement to have! Keep the modern hawk head, go back to the original colors and a throwback-inspired set, and I think you call it good from there.

This would look good, wouldn't it.

Ah shoot... Just got on here and only look at this page.  My bad! ;)

2 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Yes, that was posted on the last page. Which is what sparked the discussion about the Seahawks’ throwbacks.

15 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Actually, that is exactly what's happened before. At first, teams could only wear one alt, either a throwback or color alt and only at home and only twice a year.  Then the only at home restriction went away. Then they allowed a second alt with the color rush program on Thursday nights. Then the only Thursday night restrictions went away and teams could wear them whenever. Then they allowed them to be mixed in with other uniform parts. This is the very definition of chipping away. Now teams can have four jerseys, apparently as many pants as they want, and if there are any restrictions as to how often they can wear them, lots of teams are ignoring them.

This is, without question, the path multiple helmets would take. It just is. 

And again, to add to this, we all know why. Its that big white elephant in the room, the one that keeps whispering in the ear of NFL brass, the one who, since being in the room, egged on the whole color rush thing in the first place (not the worst idea in the world, but the implementation of it was just cheeks), and the same one right now trying to convince the NFL to allow extra helmets so as to further increase their creative imprint to the detriment of team brand integrity and increase of their own visibility because 🔥 and 💰 in terms of sales revenue...

Look, I'm all for creative expression; I just don't care for the way the swoosh's influence has gone about it. When the teams', and league's, brands become less about them and more about pushing your own creative vision/agenda, that's a problem. (Side note: this is also the problem with monopolies...no competition. Really makes me pine for the days when each team was free to pursue their own manufacturers and outside creative agencies to craft their brands, to the degree the league allowed them to.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 minutes ago, kutztown said:

There is certainly a way to combine this era with the modern era Seahawks unis and have the best of both worlds, but sigh, we've seen how that goes. 

Like this?

59 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I wouldn’t mind a merging of the two sets. The old as the basis while integrating the sublimated feather pattern onto the helmet and within the sleeve & pants stripes while using the current logo as well

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

I wouldn’t mind a merging of the two sets. The old as the basis while integrating the sublimated feather pattern onto the helmet and within the sleeve & pants stripes while using the current logo as well

Stating up front that I don't like the sublimated feather pattern on the helmet, because it isn't visible as a sublimated feather pattern unless you are on top of the helmet.

What is the 'excitement' over that feature? Many of us, presumably, see it as the epitome of Nike -- we're doing this to stamp our brand even though it isn't visible. It is, in my opinion, the antithesis of the lime green swoosh (not visible and therefor not needed, versus intentionally visible, but still not needed).

It's where I sit.

5 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Stating up front that I don't like the sublimated feather pattern on the helmet, because it isn't visible as a sublimated feather pattern unless you are on top of the helmet.

What is the 'excitement' over that feature? Many of us, presumably, see it as the epitome of Nike -- we're doing this to stamp our brand even though it isn't visible. It is, in my opinion, the antithesis of the lime green swoosh (not visible and therefor not needed, versus intentionally visible, but still not needed).

Honestly I don’t really care too much for the pattern on the helmet either. It’s rather pointless like you stated, but alas, it would be the Nike thing to do so might as well include it.

13 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Honestly I don’t really care too much for the pattern on the helmet either. It’s rather pointless like you stated, but alas, it would be the Nike thing to do so might as well include it.

Cool - thanks for the response.

I don't understand why you would be ok with keeping something rather pointless, but I won't argue with it 🙂

It's where I sit.

7 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Cool - thanks for the response.

I don't understand why you would be ok with keeping something rather pointless, but I won't argue with it 🙂

Why keep a broken pencil around if it’s broken? To sharpen it.

The idea of merging the two eras is why I’d be okay with it.

Again, it’s Nike’s relentless attitude we’re talking about here. Not so much personal preference.

18 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Here's all the glorious uniforms that we could potentially see return if the NFL allows throwback helmets next year...

[removed a series of photos of admittedly gorgeous throwback uniforms.  Also a picture of the early 1990s Buffalo Bills]

How hard is it to make an exception just for these teams?

You can't make any exceptions.

The rule exists so that players aren't forced to wear helmet models they don't want to wear.  Once you tell an entire roster that their grandfathered helmets can't be worn in this game or that game, the rule is pointless.

18 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

And even if a hypothetical rule change were to open the door for alternate helmets for all 32 teams in the future, then so be it. The 49ers could wear solid black from head to toe twice a year for all I care. I'm willing to make that sacrifice if it means seeing the return of the Bucs in creamsicle, Patriot Pat, red Falcons helmets, etc..

The throwbacks would be nice, to be sure.  But make no mistake - we would see far more alternate helmets than throwback helmets.  So that's not a choice I'm willing to make.

16 minutes ago, Jojopeligreeno said:

there was a rule in place before ...they were used only for throwbacks. How many different helmets did you see in the past besides throwbacks ? None. The Seahawks asked with their redesign to have home and away and were denied. 

I no longer have faith that the NFL would exercise such restraint.

Archived