NFL 2020

FormerLurker

Yeah, I'm not huge on the Ravens logo. I feel like that team, from the name to the colors, should be authoritative, if that makes sense. The logo is too cartoony to carry that authority. (Their alternate logo with the front-facing bird actually gives me that vibe, though, so I dunno how they go about fixing it)

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

hate "they should go back to", but only a sith deals in absolutes, and while close, I ain't no godsdamned sith.  Sometimes what's right is right.. even if it's rarely right.

Anyway, the Ravens logo is bad for many reasons, but as mentioned, the biggest one is the B.  It doesn't look that good when viewed with the helmet facing right, but it looks absolutely putrid when facing left.  Some (most) letters can't be flipped - especially if italicized.

I'd say the Oilers are proof positive that going back works. They spent years in navy and copper before finally admitting they looked best in their Gretzky-era sweaters. So they went back and looked great. Then someone decided to make orange the primary and also to change the royal to navy. Now they look....not wrong really. Just not as good as they could look.

I'm sure someone with talent could come up with a great new Oilers uniform but...why? The Gretzky Oilers were arguably the greatest team in NHL history, and the uniforms are sharp and distinctive. Just go back already and stop tinkering.

My broader point is that the Oilers are not unique in the world of pro sports. There are teams where "just go back" is a damn good option. And excluding it because of some arbitrary notion of "progress" is dumb and self-defeating.

1 minute ago, IceCap said:

I'd say the Oilers are proof positive that going back works. They spent years in navy and copper before finally admitting they looked best in their Gretzky-era sweaters. So they went back and looked great. Then someone decided to make orange the primary and also to change the royal to navy. Now they look....not wrong really. Just not as good as they could look.

I'm sure someone with talent could come up with a great new Oilers uniform but...why? The Gretzky Oilers were arguably the greatest team in NHL history, and the uniforms are sharp and distinctive. Just go back already and stop tinkering.

My broader point is that the Oilers are not unique in the world of pro sports. There are teams where "just go back" is a damn good option. And excluding it because of some arbitrary notion of "progress" is dumb and self-defeating.

Right.  That's the point of my post - sometimes it is right.  I just think that it can often be a cop out - an excuse for not coming up with anything better.  But in some cases, like you pointed out, there is either no need to come up with something better, or there is nothing better.  Those are the exceptions, but they do exist.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I would agree the Bengals tiger head would be better than the Ravens logo, but the browns and Steelers, while both classic logos than work great for the franchise and shouldn't be changed, are still worse than the Ravens logo, I don't understand how the B is "forced"it seems fine to me. It might need a few tweaks but it's not bad, definitely upper half of the league like I said, what teams would it be in the bottom with? No way it's as bad a the Bengals, Rams, Jets, Bucs, or Titans, I'd put it above the Saints and Falcons, Cowboys, Broncos and Patriots, like I said earlier, Steelers and Browns, maybe Panthers and Eagles too, throw a couple more in there but you're getting up to where it belongs

It’s not forced when the B’s shape needs to be changed when the logo gets flipped? 

10 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

Yeah, I'm not huge on the Ravens logo. I feel like that team, from the name to the colors, should be authoritative, if that makes sense. The logo is too cartoony to carry that authority. (Their alternate logo with the front-facing bird actually gives me that vibe, though, so I dunno how they go about fixing it)

Probably go the Denver route with a letter B and the Raven sitting inside it. Make it so you can flip the bird in either direction.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

24 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Probably go the Denver route with a letter B and the Raven sitting inside it. Make it so you can flip the bird in either direction.

If the Ravens were to do that, I’d say they need to go the Eagles route with the bird itself:

spacer.png

Or are you talking about a perched Raven?

spacer.png

Either way would be great, but I think the perched raven would work best. Especially if it was positioned on the bottom of “B” and overlapped the front of it.

2 hours ago, Froob said:

It’s also iconic at this point. Can’t change it now.

It's hardly 'iconic'.  That word needs to not be thrown around loosely.  There are very few iconic logos in sports.  

Just off the top of my head, in NFL, there's maybe 5 that qualify.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

you may like this:

baltimore-ravens-custom-alternate_1_440c

Let's not forget about these:

ravTestaverde_Vinny_03.jpg?24031

That purple version on the last page was pretty cool but I think the purple logo gets a little lost in the background.  What if the whole head was darker? 

dvcPZ2r.png

There's something about this that's so black.  It's like: "how much more black could this be?"  And the answer is none.  None more black.

At least they are going with seasons instead of the thing that drives everyone here nuts is 25th ANNIVERSARY (which would be in 2021).  There are a LOT of teams that still do the seasons/anniversary thing wrong and it drives me absolutely bonkers

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's hardly 'iconic'.  That word needs to not be thrown around loosely.  There are very few iconic logos in sports.  

Just off the top of my head, in NFL, there's maybe 5 that qualify.

I mean it’s core to their established identity. They’ve had a nice run of success, I don’t think they should change it now. It’s a nice look.

6 hours ago, DNAsports said:

If the Ravens were to do that, I’d say they need to go the Eagles route with the bird itself:

spacer.png

Or are you talking about a perched Raven?

spacer.png

Either way would be great, but I think the perched raven would work best. Especially if it was positioned on the bottom of “B” and overlapped the front of it.

The perched raven, as it would be in the poem. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived