NFL 2020

FormerLurker

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The uniforms shouldn't reflect the stadium, Raiders are moving to a fancy silver & black spaceship yet will rockin the same stuff they had in the archaic colosseum.  The Cardinals do need to roll it back a notch but find some middle ground.  

#DTWD #GoJaguars

I guess the difference for me is that neither the Bears nor Raiders ever changed.  Now that the Cardinals have gone with a set that's contemporary (even if garishly so) I just can't see them doing a complete 180 and going to what some people may refer to as 'practice jerseys'.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

A team that plays in a UFO shouldn't wear the most traditional uniform in the league.  The Cardinals are a mess, but a Jaguarsish overcorrection isn't the answer.

So the Bears shouldn't wear their traditional uniforms? Because Soldier Field after its ugly renovation looks like a UFO parked on the old stadium. I kind of get what you are saying but I don't think it matters. A team should try and look its best.

EDIT

I just saw your most recent post about the Bears. That is a fair argument.

15 hours ago, Beer Barrel Man said:

There are some color balancing issues with it and too many outlines. But better than what they have now though. 

Well, that logo existed in the original package from 1996-1998.  I don't remember if a current one exists

I would like to see the Cardinals go in an even more modern direction. Any time I've seen people float around a bronze and darker red concept for them, I've loved it (much like the color scheme for the Coyotes or D-Backs). But modern isn't swoopy piping and sectionals anymore. A good modern uniform is clean, detailed and intimate to the brand. 

Yes, the Cardinals are the oldest friggin' team in the league, but they always looked like they were trying to find their identity after moving to Arizona -- especially when they just slapped the state flag on the sleeves. The simple, classic Cardinals uniform is one that makes me think of Chicago, or St. Louis, and I'm only 30. They tried to make themselves into thier own with the 2005 set, but they just scream of Reebok; they don't speak to the team's identity at all. They really don't have much of one. 

I personally have always long thought the Cardinals could and should make good use of a deeper shade of that nice, unique sunset blue color of the AZ flag (I know there's another name for it but I can't think of it right now)--but only as a trim color.  I mean, they could use the gray color actual cardinals out west have on their foliage, too--but that'd play way too well into Nike's hands (read: anthracite, as they've probably already done to the Buccaneers with this latest update. I don't know that bronze would be a good idea, seeing as how one of their division rivals already uses red and gold.  At any rate, yes, Arizona could definitely use a shot of pizazz in their next update (which they're probably already working on, for all we know).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

49 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I would like to see the Cardinals go in an even more modern direction. Any time I've seen people float around a bronze and darker red concept for them, I've loved it (much like the color scheme for the Coyotes or D-Backs). But modern isn't swoopy piping and sectionals anymore. A good modern uniform is clean, detailed and intimate to the brand. 

So I asked about 'clean' in another thread, and this seems the opposite of what I was told elsewhere. How can something be clean and detailed (unless it is a car straight from the shop)? I don't know what those two words mean when they are used in this manner.

Context - this was someone else in the Colts thread when asked about "clean" - Clean meaning 2 things, as mentioned it could sub in as a word for "cool," it would jump them up into some of my favorite uniforms. However, I also mean for it to be like "unified" as in it ties everything together, it isnt trying to do too much. So the overarching theme is that I think it would fit the whole set better, "clean" it up.

It's where I sit.

Clean + detailed for me is a jersey that isn't gaudy, but the elements are subtle and unique. For example: 

The Vikings' new uniforms. They are way less busy than the previous uniforms, but still detailed -- the helmet paint finish, the black facemask to tie in the black in the logo, the stripe that is made to look like a ship sail, and the number font (some don't like it, but I love it). To the naked eye, it's just the Vikings. No bells and whistles. But the "detail" aspect means it's not just block numbers, traditional stripes and plain helmet shells. It still required detailing. The Lions new uniforms are in the same mold. I even feel that way about the Seahawks because "clean" to me is that there's no loose ends -- while their uniforms are drastically different, the elements tie into the logo and brand. 

What I would refer to as not clean and detailed would be the Buccaneers, Browns, and especially the Titans. 

9 minutes ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

Ravens social media banner with a 2D version of the 25th-season logo.

tjtyaq3hrsp41.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s=6ead6812fd3468226453773dfff9306f9d149c88

The print in the gold "banner(s)" is so small. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Those ravens logos are horrible! The fauxback is amazing and should be used first game of 2021 season! Cards need to change to something...those uniforms have never gone with the grey face mask. A grey face mask gives a throwback old school feel...no reason to keep it with these ridiculously striped POSs! Grey mask= tradition

2 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Yes, the Cardinals are the oldest friggin' team in the league, but they always looked like they were trying to find their identity after moving to Arizona -- especially when they just slapped the state flag on the sleeves. The simple, classic Cardinals uniform is one that makes me think of Chicago, or St. Louis, and I'm only 30. They tried to make themselves into thier own with the 2005 set, but they just scream of Reebok; they don't speak to the team's identity at all. They really don't have much of one. 

It’s bizarre the Cardinals are somehow the oldest team. I would have guessed they were a 70’sish expansion team before reading about their history.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I guess the difference for me is that neither the Bears nor Raiders ever changed.  Now that the Cardinals have gone with a set that's contemporary (even if garishly so) I just can't see them doing a complete 180 and going to what some people may refer to as 'practice jerseys'.  

We'll see.

If the Bucs can move from wildly contemporary uniforms back to a more traditional look, then the Cardinals can as well.

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

We'll see.

If the Bucs can move from wildly contemporary uniforms back to a more traditional look, then the Cardinals can as well.

The bucs old/new uniforms are 'traditional', but not minimalist-traditional.  They also make use of non-trad colors (don't recall any historical teams using pewter / anthracite) so it's not exactly 1:1.  I'd be for a Cardinals set that's maybe on the same level as something like the Texans or Vikings.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Clean + detailed for me is a jersey that isn't gaudy, but the elements are subtle and unique. For example: 

The Vikings' new uniforms. They are way less busy than the previous uniforms, but still detailed -- the helmet paint finish, the black facemask to tie in the black in the logo, the stripe that is made to look like a ship sail, and the number font (some don't like it, but I love it). To the naked eye, it's just the Vikings. No bells and whistles. But the "detail" aspect means it's not just block numbers, traditional stripes and plain helmet shells. It still required detailing. The Lions new uniforms are in the same mold. I even feel that way about the Seahawks because "clean" to me is that there's no loose ends -- while their uniforms are drastically different, the elements tie into the logo and brand. 

What I would refer to as clean and detailed would be the Buccaneers, Browns, and especially the Titans. 

Heavens - I have no idea WTF clean means now if a mess like Seattle can be described as clean. This means that a jersey where random color swatches were placed on the front in order to have a place to put the team name, as opposed to just using the wordmark (not that THAT is even necessary, and don't anyone give me the anti-counterfeit BS); the jersey also includes a lovely color swatch added to the sleeves for the sole purpose of highlighting the manufacturer's mark; and let's not forget about adding the invisible unless on top of the helmet "feature" that happens to be the only thing glossy on the helmet.

Yup - pretty clean, whatever that means.

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think there's a happy medium. The Cardinals can easily go with something that's both classic and modern depending on your perspective. Something like Texas A&M but in Cardinal not maroon with the double striping coming across the shoulders might be straightforward enough. 

6Z-e8L8H--zKCiV5oXadz2PQWECKob1RaEgxuPNb

Or they could just do what these boards have been saying for years and just put a team colored AZ star/sunrise combination on the sleeve cap. 

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Heavens - I have no idea WTF clean means now if a mess like Seattle can be described as clean. This means that a jersey where random color swatches were placed on the front in order to have a place to put the team name, as opposed to just using the wordmark (not that THAT is even necessary, and don't anyone give me the anti-counterfeit BS); the jersey also includes a lovely color swatch added to the sleeves for the sole purpose of highlighting the manufacturer's mark; and let's not forget about adding the invisible unless on top of the helmet "feature" that happens to be the only thing glossy on the helmet.

Yup - pretty clean, whatever that means.

That's where I think it's actually a matter of opinion. To me, I don't see those "swatches" as random. Also, my personal taste is I am all for teams doing things different (why put the wordmark bare under the collar every time? Why not be different?). Yes, I get the focal point of the Nike logo, but still -- the elements come from the lines in the logo itself, so they aren't random. There is intention there. 

Now compare that to the Titans armpit boxes and pant rombuses. Or the Browns' truncated stripes on the pants and the contrasting stitches. Or the Buccaneers' calculator numbers. The Seahawks uniforms, to me, are some of the most complete, air-tight uniforms from a design standpoint of the modern era. I freaking love them. 

Archived