NFL 2020

FormerLurker

1 hour ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

That's where I think it's actually a matter of opinion. To me, I don't see those "swatches" as random. Also, my personal taste is I am all for teams doing things different (why put the wordmark bare under the collar every time? Why not be different?). Yes, I get the focal point of the Nike logo, but still -- the elements come from the lines in the logo itself, so they aren't random. There is intention there. 

Now compare that to the Titans armpit boxes and pant rombuses. Or the Browns' truncated stripes on the pants and the contrasting stitches. Or the Buccaneers' calculator numbers. The Seahawks uniforms, to me, are some of the most complete, air-tight uniforms from a design standpoint of the modern era. I freaking love them. 

Thanks for the response.  I agree with your opinion on Cleveland, Tennessee and Tampa Bay. I lump Seattle into that same group, but I can't argue with an opinion (well I can, but I won't this time!).

It's where I sit.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's fine for the Cardinals to go back to a very simple uniform. They obviously have the idea in the back of their mind- they updated everything with the last change but kept the grey facemask. Obviously some level of retroness was appealing to them, even as they gave into mid 2000s trends.

Ultimately? This is the oldest team in the league. I don't know if solid white number block numbers on a plain red jersey is the way to go for them, but I would like to see them go in a more traditional direction. The Cardinals have been around since before the NFL was a thing, and they shouldn't feel afraid to look it. My ideal Cardinals uniform?

N3FsMVV.png

Take this, use the updated logo. Make a red jersey with white stripes for home games. Done, easy. Looks traditional, but isn't so plain you get the "practice jersey" effect @BringBackTheVet was talking about.

I’m in agreement with Brave-Bird... The Seahawks are not like the others because they at least have a theme even though the execution could have been more consistent... TB, CLE, Last JAX & TN all were over designed & non of the elements made sense... As for this clean everyone is using I first started hearing clean used when colleges started having the storm trooper look....

Clean is cool, but also like sleek and aesthetically pleasing. Of course that means a lot of different things to different people. It’s used along the same lines as “fly” or “hip”. They obviously have different actual meanings but people use them to describe things, especially clothes and/or branding. 

I would say something uniform-related is clean if it is aesthetically pleasing to me, and not full of random whatever, or isn’t cluttered. Like a team with too many outlines on the numbers or one too many colors. 

However there are a lot of people that do use clean for anything new that comes out, or anything all white. Especially sets like the new Jaguars, where it was an over correction, and basically a practice jersey, or the Colts wearing white socks with their white jerseys and pants. 

So there’s good clean, and bad clean... depends on your opinion 😉

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I'd love to see the Cardinals either go red and white full time or shift towards adding an extra color that's not black or yellow. There's too many red and black/red and yellow teams in the league, and I have yet to see any concepts with black or yellow that have impressed me. I also wouldn't be against them shifting towards a darker red with khaki/sand, similar to the Coyotes' look.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

8 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Clean + detailed for me is a jersey that isn't gaudy, but the elements are subtle and unique. For example: 

The Vikings' new uniforms. They are way less busy than the previous uniforms, but still detailed -- the helmet paint finish, the black facemask to tie in the black in the logo, the stripe that is made to look like a ship sail, and the number font (some don't like it, but I love it). To the naked eye, it's just the Vikings. No bells and whistles. But the "detail" aspect means it's not just block numbers, traditional stripes and plain helmet shells. It still required detailing. The Lions new uniforms are in the same mold. I even feel that way about the Seahawks because "clean" to me is that there's no loose ends -- while their uniforms are drastically different, the elements tie into the logo and brand. 

What I would refer to as not clean and detailed would be the Buccaneers, Browns, and especially the Titans. 

I think you've got a good definition going. I would add that the component parts must have room to stand on their without interference. No one element should distract from another at any given time. 

One thing about the 2013 Jags design was the way the black/gold sides of the helmet bifurcated the very detailed (and quite nice) logo.

7731732.jpg

One subtle feature of the Seahawks uniforms is how the TV numbers are single-color, non-patterned fabric that always matches (and therefore blends in with) the shoulder stripes that cross beneath. Even though there is a lot going on, it doesn't feel jumbled.. 

105750753-1578673504923gettyimages-15826

Cardinals should embrace an old school look. Red & White with black accents for striping and number outlines. 

The LAST thing Arizona needs is another red, black, and sand color scheme matching the Coyotes and the Diamondbacks. Such a bland identity. There is a reason that the the most popular uniform for both teams is the Coyotes Kachina throwback and for the Diamondbacks the purple throwbacks or current teal alternates.

The Cardinals ‘05 Update was needed at the time and they were due for a refresher. But I think everyone can agree that a classic look is sharp and the Cardinals could again use a refresh. Nothing wrong with going back to something that looks good and embracing a historical look.

Its hard to nail down what would be a good historical and traditional Cards jersey. I agree that the cards along with many other NFL teams should return to tradition, but I honestly can't remember any cardinals success outside of their Kurt warner era, so I honestly don't have an idea of what the "classic cardinals jerseys" would look like.

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

I would like to see them go in a more traditional direction. The Cardinals have been around since before the NFL was a thing, and they shouldn't feel afraid to look it. My ideal Cardinals uniform?

N3FsMVV.png

Take this, use the updated logo. Make a red jersey with white stripes for home games. Done, easy. Looks traditional, but isn't so plain you get the "practice jersey" effect @BringBackTheVet was talking about.

Yep, the above uniform is pretty much perfect, although I'd lop off half the sleeve stripe so it matches the pants. I've always loved those pants. And you could put the exact same stripe, as is (Houston Oiler style) on the red jersey.  That's the perfect Cardinal look.

As for the Seahawk debate... hmmm, like it or dislike it, it's surprising to me to think anybody would use "clean" as an adjective to describe it. If you like it, I assume one of the reasons you like it is the over the top application of the pattern shoe horned into any available space... tiny versions on the helmet and numbers, medium on the pants, big on the shoulders, even that strange little pearl necklace of it on the collar.  It really is a case of a real lack of restraint IMO, which is the opposite of what I think of when I hear something described as "clean".    

I don't really see the appeal in giving the Cardinals a traditional look again. Despite being the oldest team in the league, there really isn't this rich iconic history that they would be referencing. I could get on board with the direction more if there was this great brand recognition with the Cardinals of old and everybody associated their uniforms with iconic football moments, but outside of Pat Tillman that's far from the reality. In reality, they're a modern team with legends like Larry Fitzgerald and Kurt Warner that helped really put them on the map over the past decade. Going forward, they're running what is probably the most cutting edge offense in the NFL lead by Kliff Kingsbury and Kyler Murray. They play games in a super futuristic (spaceship-like) stadium. None of these things make me think that returning to a super old school look makes much sense.

Outside of those considerations and without having the ability to even lean on things like nostalgia or rich tradition, you're ultimately left with a really dull uniform that is just not aesthetically-pleasing enough to justify bringing back from the dead IMO.

jkm0rasnx0s28xxgohw6.jpg

Side note, if a team tried to tack a giant state flag on their sleeves in 2020, this board would be coming for their head.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

The Cardinals ‘05 Update was needed at the time and they were due for a refresher. But I think everyone can agree that a classic look is sharp and the Cardinals could again use a refresh. Nothing wrong with going back to something that looks good and embracing a historical look.

The 05' update was awful then and just as awful today. I totally agree with you, the Cardinals uniforms need to be changed. They are downright horrible and now that the Bucs and Browns are finally fixing their uniforms, it is definitely the Cardinals now who are long overdue for an overhaul uniform wise. They have some of the worst uniforms in the NFL.

2 hours ago, henburg said:

Side note, if a team tried to tack a giant state flag on their sleeves in 2020, this board would be coming for their head.

Funny, I don't see anyone suggesting they bring back the state flag. At least not in the style you posted. I think @FiddySicks mentioned he was a fan of the second version of the Arizona state flag jerseys, but the flag on those was no more egregious than any other sleeve logo.

In reality, they're a modern team with legends like Larry Fitzgerald and Kurt Warner that helped really put them on the map over the past decade. Going forward, they're running what is probably the most cutting edge offense in the NFL lead by Kliff Kingsbury and Kyler Murray. They play games in a super futuristic (spaceship-like) stadium. None of these things make me think that returning to a super old school look makes much sense.

Kurt Warner is retired. Larry Fitzgerald will be soon. Kliff Kingsbury might flame out in the NFL (the statistics re: college coach success in the NFL aren't kind). Who knows if Kyler Murray will live up to his potential? Even if he does? He's the one trashing the current unis 😜

And as we've been over, a modern stadium not mean a team can't look traditional.

So the fact that you've only bothered to think about the Cardinals for the past fifteen years doesn't mean the past fifteen years is all there is. When Fitzgerald, Kingsbury, Warner, and Murray are all faded memories, what are you left with? The oldest team in the league.

I don't really see the appeal in giving the Cardinals a traditional look again. Despite being the oldest team in the league, there really isn't this rich iconic history that they would be referencing.

I don't particularity care 🤷‍♂️

They're the oldest team in the league. They should look like a fairly straightforward football team. Let newer teams like the Falcons experiment with looks that will look dated five years after they debut.

On 3/31/2020 at 12:44 AM, IceCap said:

Kurt Warner is retired. Larry Fitzgerald will be soon. Kliff Kingsbury might flame out in the NFL (the statistics re: college coach success in the NFL aren't kind). Who knows if Kyler Murray will live up to his potential? Even if he does? He's the one trashing the current unis 😜

So the fact that you've only bothered to think about the Cardinals for the past fifteen years doesn't mean the past fifteen years is all there is. When Fitzgerald, Kingsbury, Warner, and Murray are all faded memories, what are you left with? The oldest team in the league.

I mean sure, if you take away all of the significant Arizona Cardinals history that I mentioned, you would be left with the stuff that you like. Specifically, stuff that represented a team that played a lot more years of their years far away from Arizona than in it. I fail to see how that's a productive exercise though. 

On 3/31/2020 at 12:44 AM, IceCap said:

And as we've been over, a modern stadium not mean a team can't look traditional.

I don't particularity care 🤷‍♂️

They're the oldest team in the league. They should look like a fairly straightforward football team. Let newer teams like the Falcons experiment with looks that will look dated five years after they debut.

I care. Context and history are important things that organizations have to understand in order to make an effective brand for their football team. For example, the Cardinals being the oldest team in the league means absolutely nothing for the people of Arizona. It's a piece of trivia, not something that should trump all else in determining a good art direction for them. 

Not to mention, the Falcons were founded in 1966. Not as old as the Cardinals but not newer by any means. Yet, that doesn't define your perception of them due to a lot of factors similar to the ones I laid out for the Cardinals. That's essentially what things like the stadium comment are pointing out, not a literal rule that teams in modern stadiums have to wear modern uniforms. 

spacer.png

I think the Cardinals already had their perfect uniforms.

football-arizona-cardinals-pat-tillman-iarizona-cardinals-rob-fredrickson-and-pafootball-arizona-cardinals-pat-tillman-t

Add the new logo, and call it a day.  If you need something on the jerseys for merchandising, add a logo on the chest, Steelers-style, or the Arizona flag.  But they really don't need any more geegaws.

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I think the Cardinals already had their perfect uniforms.

football-arizona-cardinals-pat-tillman-iarizona-cardinals-rob-fredrickson-and-pa

Add the new logo, and call it a day.  If you need something on the jerseys for merchandising, add a logo on the chest, Steelers-style, or the Arizona flag.  But they really don't need any more geegaws.

Those jerseys are pretty much fine as is, but I prefer the earlier pants stripe;

spacer.png

spacer.png

The added black ties into the logo so nice, and there's something kind of generic looking about the twin red stripe, to me.

16 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Those jerseys are pretty much fine as is, but I prefer the earlier pants stripe;

spacer.png

spacer.png

The added black ties into the logo so nice, and there's something kind of generic looking about the twin red stripe, to me.

If they removed the white, and put the black and red together, that might work.  As it is, five pant stripes is two too many for my eye.

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

If they removed the white, and put the black and red together, that might work.  As it is, five pant stripes is two too many for my eye.

That's interesting. I tend to think of it as three stripes with a separation. 

I love that stripe.  Of course, I've been looking at it on Ohio State all my life.

Archived