NFL 2020

FormerLurker

43 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Those jerseys are pretty much fine as is, but I prefer the earlier pants stripe;

spacer.png

spacer.png

The added black ties into the logo so nice, and there's something kind of generic looking about the twin red stripe, to me.

The red jersey needs something. Plain jersey with plain numbers only really works for the Raiders. There's no hard fast rule for that, just my opinion.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I think the Cardinals already had their perfect uniforms.

football-arizona-cardinals-pat-tillman-t

Add the new logo, and call it a day.  If you need something on the jerseys for merchandising, add a logo on the chest, Steelers-style, or the Arizona flag.  But they really don't need any more geegaws.

Agreed, new logo is better and the state flag would be great on the arm (move number to the shoulder). 

I think the Cardinals should make the sun a major part of their identity, adding yellow into their color scheme as well. 

If they just went back to their previous uniforms it would be fine, but they would basically be the Red Colts with a much less illustrious history (and it's not like the Colts have a very illustrious history to begin with). 

4 hours ago, henburg said:

I mean sure, if you take away all of the significant Arizona Cardinals history that I mentioned, you would be left with the stuff that you like. Specifically, stuff that represented a team that played a lot more years of their years far away from Arizona than in it.

You missed my point. 

The things you mentioned are transitory parts of a franchise's history. Very rarely is a franchise- especially one over a hundred years old- get entirely defined by a few players and a coach. Everything is temporary, except the overall story of the franchise. Which is quite long. 

Let's assume Kingsbury flames out in the NFL and the Cards hire an old school guy to replace him. That's what I mean. A coach or player rarely define a team beyond their tenure. When they do? It's one of the greats. Like Lombardi for the Packers, Gretzky for the Oilers, or Jordan for the Bulls. 

I'm not sure any of that applies to the football Cardinals and the names you mentioned. 

I care

Obviously. You tried to "um actually" the fact that the Cardinals are so old they pre-date the NFL 😛

Context and history are important things that organizations have to understand in order to make an effective brand for their football team. For example, the Cardinals being the oldest team in the league means absolutely nothing for the people of Arizona. It's a piece of trivia, not something that should trump all else in determining a good art direction for them. 

Yes, context is important, I agree. Which is why I find the idea that the Cardinals can't have a traditional uniform because they hired Kliff Kingsbury as part of a hiring trend after Sean McVay lost a Super Bowl kind of ridiculous. 

Not to mention, the Falcons were founded in 1966. Not as old as the Cardinals but not newer by any means. Yet, that doesn't define your perception of them due to a lot of factors similar to the ones I laid out for the Cardinals. That's essentially what things like the stadium comment are pointing out, not a literal rule that teams in modern stadiums have to wear modern uniforms. 

So- the Falcons, founded in 1966, shouldn't necessary be viewed as a newer franchise but the Cardinals, founded in 1898, are, in your words...

15 hours ago, henburg said:

In reality, they're a modern team...

Beyond that though. 

My point is that there's this double standard in play. If a team from the 90s decides to go traditional you get people here who lose their minds over it. 

"They're a 90s team! They should look it! They're not the Yankees/Celtics/Canadiens/Packers!" 

The implication is, among some, that a newer team shouldn't try to emulate the older teams, that they should embrace the time period they're from. 

One would think such fans of modern aesthetics would have some consistency and agree that older teams should dress in a way that reflects their history, but no. You often get arguments like this- that older teams SHOULD embrace modern trendy designs too. 

All in all? It just makes me think these "rules" some of us have constructed for who can look what way are arbitrary nonsense used to justify our own entirely subjective opinions. 

So yeah. The Cards should look traditional because they're currently wearing a uniform that, in my opinion, is a dated embarrassment. 

If you just don't like the old retro Cards unis just say so. Don't try to use the fact that they're currently running a Big Twelve offence in the NFL as a way to justify never having them go in a traditional direction. 

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I think the Cardinals already had their perfect uniforms.

football-arizona-cardinals-pat-tillman-t

Add the new logo, and call it a day.  If you need something on the jerseys for merchandising, add a logo on the chest, Steelers-style, or the Arizona flag.  But they really don't need any more geegaws.

Yes.  They could even consider foregoing a pant stripe altogether.  

5 minutes ago, Volt said:

Yes.  They could even consider foregoing a pant stripe altogether.  

Bring back the beige pants if going stripeless is the plan.  

Uni Watch: The history of the wishbone-C logo | Society for ...

White stripeless pants don't really belong in the NFL, IMO. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Beige pants have them looking too much like the 49ers. 

I think they can pull off a plain jersey if they get the cardinal red color right. It has to be that distinct shade of faded U of C maroon, not just "red." 

Al "Bubba" Baker, St. Louis Cardinals | Cardinals football

like this.

Arizona Cardinals Release 2019 Schedule

This just looks red.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Knowing Nike, if the Cardinals simplify their uniforms soon I can see them somehow incorporating sublimation of the Arizona flag on the sleeve caps.  If done right, it might not be a bad idea.

That was something i was thinking too.  They could even do a sublimation of the Arizona flag or cardinals wings on the shoulders.  I know people will attack me on this one but I realized through a dia de los muertos promo that the Cardinals did last October on Twitter, they outlined the bird in Southwest teal similar to the Dbacks teal and it looked spectacular.  https://twitter.com/AZCardenales/status/1190663281356111874

I tried to insert it in here but if not just click on the link.  I am not familiar in putting pics into this. 

Archived