NFL 2020

FormerLurker

29 minutes ago, henburg said:

I'm not going to say we Titans fans are more connected to the look, but the portion that I bolded is definitely not true. Fans have been calling for the team to wear Oilers throwbacks consistently for years, to the point where the new owner herself acknowledged the high demand and said they would like to if not for the one-helmet rule. 

That is shocking to me. Wow. I'd think they wouldn't want to be associated with stealing another city's team (at least I wouldn't). They'd want to be proud of their own team with its own unique history. Who knew? 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, bbush24 said:

The Oilers aren't a current NFL team though, so it is a little different. Would be pretty weird for the Ravens to basically wear another team's current uniform.

I said as much in my post. The basis remains the same whether or not the name is still in use.

It’s worth noting Modell did try to get the Colts’ name when they moved to Baltimore, but the Irsay family wasn’t giving it up. 

32 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

That is shocking to me. Wow. I'd think they wouldn't want to be associated with stealing another city's team (at least I wouldn't). They'd want to be proud of their own team with its own unique history. Who knew? 

The fans had nothing to do with any Bud Adams douchiness, so I don't think there's any kind of ethical dilemma there to hold against Titan fans. Not to mention, a lot of Oilers fans stuck with the team and became Titans fans rather than rooting for the Texans.

I don't know, it's sort of a unique set of circumstances even for relocated teams, so I guess everybody reacts to it differently. 

spacer.png

46 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

and yet they are the ones that decided to change to a navy helmet after about 40 or so years and at the time just under 20 of being the titans. They used the throwbacks during the AFL50 ( two helmet rule).  point being they had plenty of time with the white helmet to do so as well. 

Can't really argue with that, the team hasn't pushed it as much as they could have (or should have) in the past. They do still reference the history pretty prominently with things like  merchandise, social media, the stadium, etc, but that has never carried over on the field outside of the 50th AFL anniversary. I think that things are trending back toward showcasing them more with Amy Adams Strunk's comments along with the seemingly inevitable repeal of the two-helmet rule, but it's hard to say for sure. If they still avoid wearing them, it would be a big wasted opportunity to say the least.

All I know for sure is that as long as anybody with the last name Adams is the controlling owner of the Titans, the Texans will never wear Luv Ya Blue uniforms. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, henburg said:

I'm not going to say we Titans fans are more connected to the look, but the bolded portion is definitely not true. Fans have been calling for the team to wear Oilers throwbacks consistently for years, to the point where the new owner herself acknowledged the high demand and said they would like to if not for the one-helmet rule. 

While I don't like the one helmet rule because it ruins the opportunity to see more throwbacks, she has nobody to blame but herself for that by dropping the white helmet for a navy one in their new monstrosities.

3 minutes ago, VikWings said:

While I don't like the one helmet rule because it ruins the opportunity to see more throwbacks, she has nobody to blame but herself for that by dropping the white helmet for a navy one in their new monstrosities.

To her credit she's only been the controlling owner since 2017, but I still agree with your overall point. The team wasted a lot of valuable years where they could have worn them. 

There's been an overall tumultuous history of ownership for the Titans franchise since coming to Nashville with Bud Adams and his senility to his death and the couple year-fallout from that where there was no controlling owner. Things have been much smoother with Amy, so hopefully that allows for those amazing uniforms to be worn proudly like they should be. 

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, henburg said:

The fans had nothing to do with any Bud Adams douchiness, so I don't think there's any kind of ethical dilemma there to hold against Titan fans. Not to mention, a lot of Oilers fans stuck with the team and became Titans fans rather than rooting for the Texans.

I don't know, it's sort of a unique set of circumstances even for relocated teams, so I guess everybody reacts to it differently. 

Right, I'm just saying knowing how horrible it was for Houston fans to have their team ripped from them, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with the Oilers if I were a Titans fan. I'd love the Titans, but wouldn't want any of the Oiler stigma to be associated with the team. That's Houston's team, Tennessee's is the Titans. 

No issue with the titans fans at all just bud adams and any of the family that holds his same thought process of greed over fans. I’ve seen titan players wanting the throwback look as well as Houston players. It’s a great look that should be used at least once a year by any team! Titans could still use the navy helmet as a fauxback of sorts just to mix things up. Just miss the oilers uniforms and color combo. 

with great pain, I must say screw Al Davis and his lawsuit, because the only correct response to "I'm moving my football team from Houston to Nashville by way of Memphis" was "lol no you're not"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, rainmaker17 said:

Any idea when these new uniforms (by team) will be released?

I think we heard TB is April 7?

Rumor is ATL April 14.

Not sure if we've heard anything about NE or LAC. 

LAR, LOL.  Who knows what they're doing now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

21 hours ago, henburg said:

Living in Houston, I can tell you that I know zero Oilers fans who would still root for the Titans over the Texans. There is no love for the Adams family here. You will find a ton of Cowboys or Saints fans, but very few Titans fans.

However, as much as I love the Oilers colors, logos, uniforms and brand, I think it belongs with the Titans. If they want to wear it as a throwback, they should wear it against Houston. The Texans need to wear their red tops more and emphasize their current brand, which is quite strong on its own. And fire O’Brien.

On 4/1/2020 at 12:52 PM, tohasbo said:

wZxv1pE.png

3z8adKF.png

rRGNhqQ.png

oFwLlFB.png

That's really it.  No changes to the primary from what I know

In other news, kerning has apparently passed away due to complications from COVID-19.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived