NFL 2020

FormerLurker

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

yea, i dont want to highjack the thread but we explored 7 different primary uni ideas. the most outrageous (and one Nike produced to see on the real models) was an Anthracite Color Rush option with Aqua numbers. all others were either about combining the '66 uniform with the modern one (kind of like the Bucs approach) and doing something new. those were my favorite because they were subtle and had lasting value. we also talked about replacing the blue with a new color— it was about the same value as Anthracite but obviously blue that looked great with aqua and orange and used as a alternate pants color. 

Can anyone please explain to me why Nike has such a never ending boner for dark gray?  

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Can anyone please explain to me why Nike has such a never ending boner for dark gray?  

That's my biggest take-away. That Nike tried to push anthracite on the Dolphins of all teams, one of the brightest/most colourful identities in the league. Makes me think they do it with every team that wants new unis.

"Have you considered replacing one of your traditional colours with dark grey?"

Just now, IceCap said:

That's my biggest take-away. That Nike tried to push anthracite on the Dolphins of all teams, one of the brightest/most colourful identities in the league. Makes me think they do it with every team that wants new unis.

"Have you considered replacing one of your traditional colours with dark grey?"

They got the Lions to bite, you'd think that would satisfy them at least for a while.

Dark gray (I'm not playing their game by calling it their pet name) is played out, and wasn't all that nice to begin with.

I brought it up in the Falcons thread, but wanted to expand on it here...

3 out of the last 4 new sets we’ve gotten since 2018 are essentially the same, just mostly “put this here and put that there” in terms of Nike and the teams trying to differentiate between each other. They definitely all look similar from the front. Especially New York and Atlanta. Tennessee is more of a reach, but it’s just to show how much better it could be if unnecessary elements were dropped.

Titans (2018)

spacer.png

Jets (2019)

spacer.png

Falcons (2020)

spacer.png

31 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I bet it’s a fabric issue. 

It looks good in a flat finish and it’s easy to match across pants and jerseys. It’s dark (and therefore cool) but not black so its less intense and more neutral meaning it goes with more colors. 

It also looks slick and modern in ways that appeal to Nike’s lifestyle brand. Think about how often you see it in workout wear. 

7 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

It looks good in a flat finish and it’s easy to match across pants and jerseys. It’s dark (and therefore cool) but not black so its less intense and more neutral meaning it goes with more colors. 

It also looks slick and modern in ways that appeal to Nike’s lifestyle brand. Think about how often you see it in workout wear. 

While this sounds like what some would label as “Nike speak,” this makes too much sense and explains why it’s such a popular color. Good post.

4 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

While this sounds like what some would label as “Nike speak,” this makes too much sense and explains why it’s such a popular color. Good post.

Thanks. Nike Speak would be couching its use in grandiose terms.

I’m just looking at it thinking, “It’s dark but still neutral so it looks cool with a lot of different colors in the types of fabrics you see in sports.”

I don’t know why teams can’t just come out and say, “We like it because we think it looks cool.”

There will be no Packers throwback for the 2020 season...they are on hold until 2021.  There is some speculation that they may be waiting for the helmet rules to be relaxed.  If that is true, that would leave out the '80s era for the next throwback uniform since those still had the yellow helmets.  I just hope they can find something that isn't ugly this time.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2020/4/8/21214110/packers-will-wait-until-2021-for-new-throwback-jersey-says-pro-shop?fbclid=IwAR0LdwS6orpKQYnQtoVdwmmMFFuyV_Iulz9fFjlNaXoKlGNuJGbNcFgpqBo

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

I brought it up in the Falcons thread, but wanted to expand on it here...

3 out of the last 4 new sets we’ve gotten since 2018 are essentially the same, just mostly “put this here and put that there” in terms of Nike and the teams trying to differentiate between each other. They definitely all look similar from the front. Especially New York and Atlanta. Tennessee is more of a reach, but it’s just to show how much better it could be if unnecessary elements were dropped.

Titans (2018)

spacer.png

Jets (2019)

spacer.png

Falcons (2020)

spacer.png

I don’t see it at all. Titans have sword yokes and pant stripes, pit stains. Jets have an angular extended sleeve stripe to the front, and angular pant stripe no side panel. Falcons have a side panel and nothing else. Also all the fonts are drastically different. 

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

What nobody is talking about is how all shiny materials actually went extinct in the early 2000's. Wake up sheeple! It's not Nike's fault they were hunted to extinction! They're just doing the best they can with the resources that are left on this planet.

2 minutes ago, schlim said:

What nobody is talking about is how all shiny materials actually went extinct in the early 2000's. Wake up sheeple! It's not Nike's fault they were hunted to extinction! They're just doing the best they can with the resources that are left on this planet.

We tried to warn everyone, but no one listened until it was too late 😔

59 minutes ago, schlim said:

I heard it was a virus that wiped them out.  They didn't practice fabric distancing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, Gobbi said:

Interesting! I really appreciate that peek behind the curtain. The color rush you mentioned sounds pretty bad. Any idea what happens to the unused prototypes? Obviously we see some pop up for sale here and there years later but are rejected options meant to be destroyed? Or do you think that anthracite with aqua numbers jersey still exists somewhere?

good question. i imagine they were burned, lol. but you never know what someone might stuff into a closet somewhere. maybe some Nike employee has it mounted on their wall now?

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

the anthracite really looked great with aqua and orange. its a huge apparel color way seller too. that particular CR concept did not look good though. numbers unreadable. but sometimes someone says "i just want to see it". that didn't come from Nike, but Dolphins leadership. the dark blue was a winner for me; did the same thing as anthracite as a dark contrasting color but was unique and had even better harmony with other colors

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

14 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

good question. i imagine they were burned, lol. but you never know what someone might stuff into a closet somewhere. maybe some Nike employee has it mounted on their wall now?

the anthracite really looked great with aqua and orange. its a huge apparel color way seller too. that particular CR concept did not look good though. numbers unreadable. but sometimes someone says "i just want to see it". that didn't come from Nike, but Dolphins leadership. the dark blue was a winner for me; did the same thing as anthracite as a dark contrasting color but was unique and had even better harmony with other colors

Not to sound greedy. You wouldn’t happen to have any other player models lying around you are allowed to share though? 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The Dolphins using the actual color of a dolphin?  Nah, too easy.

That's only the color of a dolphin if there was an oil spill in the area.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

2 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Not to sound greedy. You wouldn’t happen to have any other player models lying around you are allowed to share though? 

naw, i didnt keep any of the actual work. left it all on Dolphins server. 

42 minutes ago, MDGP said:

That's only the color of a dolphin if there was an oil spill in the area.

that reminds me, there were 3 different swatches of Blue-Gray we were looking at early on. and we were also looking at more of a true "dolphin gray" too. pretty much the throwback facemask color. we wanted to put it into the logo but just didnt work well

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

10 hours ago, dont care said:

I don’t see it at all. Titans have sword yokes and pant stripes, pit stains. Jets have an angular extended sleeve stripe to the front, and angular pant stripe no side panel. Falcons have a side panel and nothing else. Also all the fonts are drastically different. 

You failed to see me point. I was talking about strictly front view. Removing all the team specific details.

How about compared to Jaguars 2.0? Taking an overly complex uniform and stripping it down to the bare necessities, much like Atlanta did this year:

spacer.png

Now that I think about it, I’d say that’s the fairest comparison between two teams.

33 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

You failed to see me point. I was talking about strictly front view. Removing all the team specific details.

How about compared to Jaguars 2.0? Taking an overly complex uniform and stripping it down to the bare necessities, much like Atlanta did this year:

spacer.png

Now that I think about it, I’d say that’s the fairest comparison between two teams.

Well that happens when you look at any uniform straight on though, you don’t see side panels, pants stripes and really only see the front number and alittle bit of the sleeve stripes/logo. The fact that those number fonts are so drastically different from each other makes them all look that much more different.

Archived