NFL 2020

FormerLurker

8 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

And, as noted earlier in this thread, not allowed by the NFL.

What the Rams did wasn’t normally allowed either. NFL probably wouldn’t allow it, but they could have attempted to do it.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Froob said:

What the Rams did wasn’t normally allowed either. NFL probably wouldn’t allow it, but they could have attempted to do it.

No. A white jersey is explicitly stated in the rulebook as a requirement. The 5 Year Rule and other "rules" we reference are guidelines that aren't in the rulebook. That's a significant difference. 

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

No. A white jersey is explicitly stated in the rulebook as a requirement. The 5 Year Rule and other "rules" we reference are guidelines that aren't in the rulebook. That's a significant difference. 

It’s kind of silly, I think. They could specify a maximum or minimum saturation or lightness or darkness for a jersey to be called light or dark...or even flex like the old NBA rule. 

36 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

It’s kind of silly, I think. They could specify a maximum or minimum saturation or lightness or darkness for a jersey to be called light or dark...or even flex like the old NBA rule. 

I wouldn’t be opposed to a relaxing of the rule that could allow teams to sub white for cream. However, I do think grey is better suited as a default alternate designation.

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

I disagree. White is white.  There is no chance of two teams wearing confusing jersey colors if the home team has to declare its color, and the visiting team then either is 'not white' if the home team chooses white, or white if the home team chooses 'not white'. This, among other reasons, is why color rash is such a bad idea - it makes the games more difficult to watch due to unintended consequences.

It's where I sit.

17 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I disagree. White is white.  There is no chance of two teams wearing confusing jersey colors if the home team has to declare its color, and the visiting team then either is 'not white' if the home team chooses white, or white if the home team chooses 'not white'. This, among other reasons, is why color rash is such a bad idea - it makes the games more difficult to watch due to unintended consequences.

But you can just call your light grey “dirty white” or your cream “warm white” and you’re good...

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 minute ago, DNAsports said:

This “fix” sounded better in my head. Hope you understand it lol

Tell you what, I’d much rather have corporate ads for color names instead of stadiums and jerseys. 😂

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

5 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Tell you what, I’d much rather have corporate ads for color names instead of stadiums and jerseys. 😂

Wait a minute I think you’re onto something... a certain carbonated beverage has its headquarters located in Atlanta... the Falcons aren’t using regular ol red and black... they’re using COCA-COLA RED and COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR BLACK

2 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Wait a minute I think you’re onto something... a certain carbonated beverage has its headquarters located in Atlanta... the Falcons aren’t using regular ol red... they’re using COCA-COLA RED and COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR BLACK

This is the one and only time sports marketing execs will ever listen to this board. We've opened up a brand new way to make money!

the user formerly known as cdclt

5 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Wait a minute I think you’re onto something... a certain carbonated beverage has its headquarters located in Atlanta... the Falcons aren’t using regular ol red... they’re using COCA-COLA RED

I actually edited the post to say I’d be thrilled if the Falcons wore Coca-Cola Red if it meant they got to play in Atlanta Stadium or “The Oculus” or something, then I hit cancel. 😂

On 4/10/2020 at 4:41 PM, DNAsports said:

As far as logos go? I’ve always had a soft spot for the “R” logo instituted under Lombardi-

spacer.png

Never understood why they put the nickname initial there instead of “W”.

On 4/10/2020 at 4:41 PM, DNAsports said:

I also really love the stripeless, grey facemasked helmet they use with their throwbacks-

spacer.png

I love that uniform.   The metallic gold letters.  What a gorgeous color scheme.  And the gray face mask goes so well with the burgundy. 

39 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I actually edited the post to say I’d be thrilled if the Falcons wore Coca-Cola Red if it meant they got to play in Atlanta Stadium or “The Oculus” or something, then I hit cancel. 😂

I agree, I'd gladly trade overexposed brand-name stadiums for the names of colors only people like use care about.

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 4/10/2020 at 10:41 PM, DNAsports said:

spacer.png

I never understood why they don't remove the helmet logo when they're donning the throwbacks. Without the one shell rule the look'd be 100% better, but still, a blank helmet would work just fine. I don't get it, that yellow on the logo seems so out of place to me

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Wait a minute I think you’re onto something... a certain carbonated beverage has its headquarters located in Atlanta... the Falcons aren’t using regular ol red and black... they’re using COCA-COLA RED and COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR BLACK

May this re-design become New Coke, then.

It's where I sit.

tenor.gif

I don't understand why grey facemasks are so beloved by some here. I think all helmets would be better with a team colour or a white facemask, unless the team uses grey as a team colour.

(I also don't really think grey is a neutral colour for teams, outside of away jerseys in baseball, so that's probably why I think this)

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Never understood why they put the nickname initial there instead of “W”.

Same reason the Oakland Athletics wears the letter A on their caps instead of the letter O.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

The difference there is that the A’s name was officially “Athletic Base Ball Club”.   Washington’s nickname didn’t ever have that same status.   And there’s also the different eras; when Washington unveiled that logo, city names were long established as the preferred monogram, leaving the A’s a relic of a much earlier past. 

Archived