NFL 2020

FormerLurker

2 hours ago, simtek34 said:

Personally, my favorite Redskins set. It combines the 60's helmet with their iconic Uniforms of the 70's.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That’s also much better than the current set.  Maybe just a tad too Packers-like. 😃

Got even more Green Bay-East when they adopted the gold helmets. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I mean, we give the Tampa Bay Lightning stick for trying to look a little bit like the Maple Leafs. 🤣  This is outright robbery. 

Personally, I prefer the darker shade over the one chosen by a color-blind man who wanted to kick some business to his brother’s sporting goods company and settled for the closest color they had. 😛 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The difference there is that the A’s name was officially “Athletic Base Ball Club”.   Washington’s nickname didn’t ever have that same status.   And there’s also the different eras; when Washington unveiled that logo, city names were long established as the preferred monogram, leaving the A’s a relic of a much earlier past. 

Add into that the whole "three (maybe four soon) different locations" and you see why just using the "A" or "A's" was preferable. 

2 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Add into that the whole "three (maybe four soon) different locations" and you see why just using the "A" or "A's" was preferable. 

True enough.  They tried the whole “city initial” thing, but Charley O made it clear he wasn’t necessarily interested in staying in one place long enough.

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

tenor.gif

I don't understand why grey facemasks are so beloved by some here. I think all helmets would be better with a team colour or a white facemask, unless the team uses grey as a team colour.

(I also don't really think grey is a neutral colour for teams, outside of away jerseys in baseball, so that's probably why I think this)

You have to have the right kind of brand and look to pull it off. If you don’t, I think you need grey in your color scheme to pull it off.

My favorite remedy would be to wear grey shoes and gloves if you wear a grey mask, essentially making grey your “equipment color.” Updating the typical classic shoe color from black to grey and visually connecting all those pieces give it a more contemporary vibe with better design sensibility, yet it also retains the tough, traditional look, which is the signature role of a grey mask.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

You have to have the right kind of brand and look to pull it off. If you don’t, I think you need grey in your color scheme to pull it off.

My favorite remedy would be to wear grey shoes and gloves if you wear a grey mask, essentially making grey your “equipment color.” Updating the typical classic shoe color from black to grey and visually connecting all those pieces give it a more contemporary vibe with better design sensibility, yet it also retains the tough, traditional look, which is the signature role of a grey mask.

In a utopia I could see this. These days, however, players like to pick their own color ways for gloves, cleats and other equipment. Each players individual look is highly customizable and left up to personal preference. Sock length also falls into this category. Things of this nature must be kept in mind when designing a modern uniform.

Panthers have gotten rid of their black and silver on their social media pages. Just white and Carolina blue. Rams the Jags did this leading up to their change. Teal said panthers were changing. Guess it’ll be 2021 for them. 

1 hour ago, Newport said:

Panthers have gotten rid of their black and silver on their social media pages. Just white and Carolina blue. Rams the Jags did this leading up to their change. Teal said panthers were changing. Guess it’ll be 2021 for them. 

You think they’re changing the social media colors now in preparation for a color change a year from now?

7 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Wait a minute I think you’re onto something... a certain carbonated beverage has its headquarters located in Atlanta... the Falcons aren’t using regular ol red and black... they’re using COCA-COLA RED and COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR BLACK

😄😄😄
I want a jersey with Coca-Cola Zero Sugar Black and Mountain Dew Green!

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

34 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You think they’re changing the social media colors now in preparation for a color change a year from now?

Not long now.

11 hours ago, Newport said:

I think it’s more to do with the social media team just had a large turnover and they are replacing the look of their posts. We had the logo change in 2012, and uniform refresh last year (Nike template), so I wouldn’t read too much into the web site or media posts reflecting major uniform changes. 

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Ravens have been using a font on all social media and game day programs for a few years now and I’m still waiting for them to change to it on the uniforms:

spacer.png

I don’t see it happening so I don’t have hopes for it, but a man can dream. It’s definitely an update over this:

spacer.png

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That’s also much better than the current set.  Maybe just a tad too Packers-like. 😃

Got even more Green Bay-East when they adopted the gold helmets. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

This, as well as watching NFL Films’ Lombardi’s Redskins yesterday (really good documentary, BTW) got me thinking about these uniforms. I suppose this is ultimately conditional on just how much influence he had on logo and uniforms (I don’t know the full story to that, personally); but I wonder had Lombardi not had cancer and lived to coach Washington longer, if these uniforms would’ve not only survived longer but had significant success attached to them. They did win the NFC two years after Lombardi’s death, so would he have taken them to more Super Bowls? Could they have won one? Would they still be a gold helmet team today, and would the “Lombardi R” still be around? Maybe none of that happens, but who knows?

It’s something I hadn’t really thought of much before, but that’s a “what if” that’s really intriguing me at the present. Could make for a fun alternate history concept...🤔

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

13 hours ago, BVZ said:

In a utopia I could see this. These days, however, players like to pick their own color ways for gloves, cleats and other equipment. Each players individual look is highly customizable and left up to personal preference. Sock length also falls into this category. Things of this nature must be kept in mind when designing a modern uniform.

Sure, players like to, but they’re not entitled to just because. I’m sure those Yankee players liked growing beards once upon a time, too, but they abide by the Yankees’ rules when they’re in the Yankees’ house. A team could very easily specify that they’re only ordering grey shoes and gloves and you gotta pick from the list.

In practice, if I’m actually working on the project, then yeah, I have to take into account that players are going to freewheel a bit and design to minimize the potential for disaster, but when I’m just tossing around hypothetical ideas and designs, I like to idealize and design it holistically from the ground up to get the best-looking final product. I want to show my design, not my design through the filter of the NFL’s arbitrary, commercialized rules.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

39 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Sure, players like to, but they’re not entitled to just because. I’m sure those Yankee players liked growing beards once upon a time, too, but they abide by the Yankees’ rules when they’re in the Yankees’ house. A team could very easily specify that they’re only ordering grey shoes and gloves and you gotta pick from the list.

In practice, if I’m actually working on the project, then yeah, I have to take into account that players are going to freewheel a bit and design to minimize the potential for disaster, but when I’m just tossing around hypothetical ideas and designs, I like to idealize and design it holistically from the ground up to get the best-looking final product. I want to show my design, not my design through the filter of the NFL’s arbitrary, commercialized rules.

Point taken. Ideally, everyone on the team should have matching spikes at the very least. Not the exact same shoe, but the colors should match.

When I think of traditional football uniforms, grey facemasks and black cleats always work. More contemporary looks have white cleats with colored masks. But there’s always exceptions to every rule.

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

If the history of other teams doing it is any indication, then yes. 

How did the Rams and Jaguars use new colors? 

The Jaguars colors really didn't change, and the Rams have been wearing royal blue and yellow for a few years. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, Newport said:

such as?

I can think of more examples of clubs using non-team colors heavily in their social media (like the Jets and lime green) than I can teams introducing new color schemes a year early.  

9 hours ago, mattr1198 said:

Hey can anyone update me with all the known/rumored dates for the uniform unveilings? Don't want to go lurking all the way back to find them.

Browns are tomorrow or Wednesday(?) 

Chargers were the 21st

Pats and Colts were TBD, but I’d imagine the Colts would “unveil” their changes after the draft since it’s not huge changes.
The Patriots on the other hand are a mystery since they could have smaller changes or bigger changes.

Archived